Cats vs Speakers???????

Jesse22
Jesse22 Posts: 60
edited February 2011 in Speakers
I am new to Club Polk and building a moderate 5.1 home theater setup (my first). Here is my dilemma, I have researched lots of things on this forum but found nothing about speakers sharing space with cats.... I was really hoping to get some Monitor 70s series II but in 6 months I will be moving in with my girlfriend who owns 2 cats. I am thinking her cats love to destroy things and I have read cats like to scratch speaker covers. How do they feel if the covers are off though are they going to shred a speaker cone? So my options are buy some Monitor 70s and hope for the best while stressing out the cats are going to destroy them while I am away or get some Monitor 40s and throw them on speaker stands and pretend I am happy. The other thing there is will they try and get on top of the 40s and knock them over and how do they feel about speaker wire?
If anyone has experience with this please help me out!!!!! Thanks!
Polk CS1 Series II
Monitor 30s
Monitor 40s Series II
Klipsch RW-12D
Onkyo TX-SR308
Samsung 46" LED-LCD
Samsung BD-C5500 (Don't Recommend)
Post edited by Jesse22 on

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited January 2011
    Get the monitor 70's and a spray bottle... everytime they so much as look at them, spray them.... they will quickly learn they are off limits.

My monitor 70's survived several years with two German shepherd puppies... they may not claw at speakers, but they are 85lb wreaking balls that love to run all around the house...
  • gsxr141
    gsxr141 Posts: 143
    edited January 2011
    cats definitely like speaker covers, lol. they will also scratch the drivers on occasion. i just had the surround repaired on one of my rt10's. :(
    50" samsung dlp
    receiver... pioneer elite vsx72txv
    front... polk tsi400's
    rear surrounds... polk tsi100's
    center... polk csi3
    subs... psw150..... 2 of them.
    surrounds.....polk owm3's
  • stangjason
    stangjason Posts: 341
    edited January 2011
    gsxr141 wrote: »
    cats definitely like speaker covers, lol. they will also scratch the drivers on occasion. i just had the surround repaired on one of my rt10's. :(

Dead cats don't damage speakers and in your case if that cat was mine it would be just that.

Oh and declawed cats don't mess them up and both of mine are declawed.
    Pioneer vsx-1120k, B&K Sonata series video-5 amplifier, Polk Rti8, Fxi3, Csi5, and HSU VTF-1
  • Jesse22
    edited January 2011
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Get the monitor 70's and a spray bottle... everytime they so much as look at them, spray them.... they will quickly learn they are off limits.

Yeah you see I have tried that with her main pain in my rear cat when it comes to furniture it just goes right back after 10 mins like its little brain just resets.
    Also i get yelled at for for soaking it a little too much :wink:
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
  • Jesse22
    edited January 2011
    stangjason wrote: »

I wish that was an option seeing as how I am taking no ownership of them and the girlfriend being against the idea. Also being a dog person and growing up with all of my animals being outside pets I see nothing wrong with having them declawed they are strictly indoor. But I am still wondering do cats try and jump on top of speakers... I figure they look similar to cat forts or whatever they are called.
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
  • somefinfishy
    somefinfishy Posts: 11
    edited January 2011
    I own a cat and am just kidding here. again seriously here just jokeing :)
    "Cats vs Speakers???????" place cat in speaker. Speaker wins! problem solved. :) Every cat i've owned likes a unfinished pine over anything else in the house. a simple upright 2x4 always worked here.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited January 2011
    Ask your GF a simple question.Me or the cats?Her answer should tell you quite a bit.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Jesse22
    edited January 2011
    decal wrote: »
    Ask your GF a simple question.Me or the cats?Her answer should tell you quite a bit.
    Haha I already joked about how living together was a deal breaker if she kept the cats, unfortunately they have been around longer than I. As I would not give up a dog for a girl even though they aren't capable of chores... :tongue:
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
  • alienwatcher
    alienwatcher Posts: 18
    edited January 2011
    stangjason wrote: »
    Dead cats don't damage speakers and in your case if that cat was mine it would be just that.

LOL Greatest. Thread. Ever.

For what it's worth, I also have two cats and believe that they can do little damage once declawed. It also helps that I turn into the old man from Monster House when they get close to my stuff.
    AUDIO - Fronts: Polk Audio RTI A9's | Center: Polk Audio CSI A6 | Sides: Polk Audio FXi A4's | Sub: HSU STF-1 | Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663 w/ AQ Type-4s | Amp: Rain MM-6 (300W x3)| Power: Panamax M5300-PM

VIDEO - Epson Powerlite 8350 Projector on Elite Electric100H Screen | Panasonic TH-42PX60U | Panasonic DMP-BD35 | Toshiba HD-A2
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited January 2011
    I have been very fortunate. We have 2 cats and they seem to be OK with leaving my towers alone. When we got the cats I sprayed the grills lightly with this natural stuff that has some weird herbs. I can get the name later. That was about 4 years ago and I am sure it has worn off by now.

I have also heard that cats hate tin foil and that you can place the foil in front of the speakers to train them to stay away.

Good Luck
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Jesse22
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for all the advice, I wish I had a way to test out the Monitor 40s though, I was actually quite impressed with the 30s especially after running some sound tests on them and seeing how smooth the mids to highs are even with basic bass and treble adjustments. For now I will probably do the 40s on stands. I figure thats $120 for speakers through newegg (my preferred electronics dealer) and 100 or so for stands through parts express. which is still $120 cheaper than two monitor 70s on sale.... even though that's not too much money. depending on how those go over I will most likely upgrade to a 7.1 system. New receiver and amp and then upgrade those fronts to 70s.
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited January 2011
    I had two cats and tower speakers and never had any problems. Make sure you have 1 or 2 scratching posts that they like using in the house. Rubbing some cat nip on the post will help. The squirt bottle trick worked wonders for me. Adjust the nozzle to "stream" and aim for the face. They absolutely hate that and after a couple times, they get the idea.
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited January 2011
    My cat claws on my speakers every morning, thank god she's declawed, however i'm not so lucky with my puppy. I have an 11 month old Great Dane/English Mastiff mix who's like a bull in a china shop. He's already 125 lbs and knocked my RTi8 over yesterday. The good news is he'll make a great big rug if he does it again:wink:
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2011
    skrol wrote: »
    When we got the cats I sprayed the grills lightly with this natural stuff that has some weird herbs. I can get the name later. That was about 4 years ago and I am sure it has worn off by now.

I wonder if your spray is the same as the intensely-bitter stuff that I tried when we got my kitten awhile back. He liked chewing on wires, so I tried spraying it on them and around the area. The damn cat liked the stuff! Go figure. Thankfully he grew out of that phase fairly quickly and without electrocuting himself. He's declawed, so the scratching thing was a non-issue.
  • HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    edited January 2011
    I kept some cats for a friend for a while. The cats would not claw the center of the speakers but would claw the corners. I found some wide transparent tape which protected the area and that saved my speakers (POLK SDA -II's). Just a thought.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited January 2011
    Cats have numerous scent glands, inclucing under the pads of their front paws. So they also rub on things to mark territory.

I suggest you rub your hands all over your speakers in front of the cats early on and often to show them who the alpha is.:biggrin:

Welcome to Club Polk!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2011
    It's all about priorities.

1. Lose the girl and get one that doesn't have a cat or may be planning too.

2. Get screwed, no matter the speaker you buy.

I chose option 1 and haven't looked back since. Years later, married another woman and had child. Couldn't be happier about the choice of the woman or my decision but that's just me. It's all about priorities.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kefranklin
    kefranklin Posts: 141
    edited January 2011
    I once had kittens climb up my monitor 10s and destroy both sl-2000s. Luckily, though, I found this forum in my search for replacement.
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited January 2011
    Run some electrified wire about 10" high around your tower... that'll keep those little rascals away :biggrin:
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2011
    My Maggies' owner's manual actually recommends that cat owners spray repellent around their bases.

But I think a pair of pliers and a baseball glove could also work...

And remember, "O cat" spelled backwards is TACO...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited January 2011
    The spray bottle with half water and half white vinegar helps them learn fairly quickly, if not you can buy socks for the little devils. Keeping them entertained with other toys and posts goes a long way as well. A bored animal is a destructive animal.
  • nclh7
    nclh7 Posts: 38
    edited January 2011
    When you initially set up your speakers, leave the covers off. They will be new and investigated rather thoroughly. After a few weeks, the newness has worn off, put on the grills. The interest factor in the change should leave you unmolested grills.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited January 2011
    B Run wrote: »
    My cat claws on my speakers every morning, thank god she's declawed, however i'm not so lucky with my puppy. I have an 11 month old Great Dane/English Mastiff mix who's like a bull in a china shop. He's already 125 lbs and knocked my RTi8 over yesterday. The good news is he'll make a great big rug if he does it again:wink:

When one of my sons was a toddler, he used to like to hide behind my speakers. Once he knocked one over into the side wall. That night I strapped them to the floor with metal brackets. I attached the brackets to the speaker where the floor spikes screw in and screwed the other end into the wood floor.
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • vwfred69
    vwfred69 Posts: 54
    edited January 2011
    my cats claw at my 60's and lick the grills. good thing they are declawed
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2011
    vwfred69 wrote: »
    my cats claw at my 60's and lick the grills. good thing they are declawed

Had a girlfriend like that back in the day...only she still had her claws.:tongue:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ibewbrother
    ibewbrother Posts: 186
    edited January 2011
    Nice lols in this thread.....I am a cat person and have been thinking about adopting one..I guess I have one more reason not to ..now.

And thanks for the heads up....I didn't think about speaker damage in my "I'd like a cat" thoughts.
    "Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics." BillD

Pioneer Elite SC-57
    M70 series 2 mains
    CS2 center
    M40 surround
    M30 front height
    SVS PB 12 NSD

Carver TFM-45 (mains)
    Carver A753x (center, surround)

320GB PS3, 42" Panasonic G10,

M60's as a Zone 2 off of the Pioneer in the living room

R.I.P. Onkyo TX-NR807
  • Jesse22
    edited January 2011
    Haha all of this is great advice! I will have to try some of these ideas one of the nights when I am over there with the couch, such as the white vinegar and water mix (if she allows it, or sees me pouring it in the bottle :wink:) I always see mixed reviews about the consumer sprays.

Leaving the grills off at first... I am not sure about that, don't wan't them to be able to tear right into a speaker.
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
  • treitz3
    edited January 2011
    It's still better than a shotgun blast to the paws. :biggrin:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jesse22
    edited January 2011
    treitz3 wrote: »
    It's still better than a shotgun blast to the paws. :biggrin:

:eek:
    I sure hope PETA doesn't run across this thread on a Google search! Haha
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
  • treitz3
    edited January 2011
    I keed, I keed.... :wink: