Building a box

HalflungshortHalflungshort Posts: 10
edited January 2011 in Custom Fabrication
I'm going to be building a box for my 10" gxr. My question is does it matter which parts overlap. ( top/bottom over front/back ) or the other way. I will be using 3/4 mdf. I have not decided what to cover box with yet.
Post edited by Halflungshort on

Comments

• HalflungshortHalflungshort Posts: 10
    edited August 2010
    My current measurements are the top/bottom overlapping front/back. If needs to be different this will change my measurements. Plans to start build this week. Will post picks during the process
  • Installer4lifeInstaller4life Posts: 256
    edited August 2010
    I usually make the side with the woofer whether it's on the side or top or bottom the full measurement. So if the box is 14"X16"X24" and the woofer is on the 16" side then I make that piece of wood 16"X24". If the woofer is on the 14" side then that piece is
    14"X24". This also makes a general slot ported box easier to build if you are porting the box on the same side as the woofer which most are...
    edited August 2010
    Ok, I will do it that way. is there a reason for that other than a port? Just curious. Does it help integrity of the structure?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,556
    edited August 2010
    the weight of the woofer will be supported by the sides if the top is cut to full length. That will make the top stronger.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    edited August 2010
    Img_0271.jpgimg_0273.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Trying to post pics of my box
  • evil ryuevil ryu Posts: 41
    edited November 2010
    LOL i doubt you're still on here, halflungshort...
    but try an uploading site like flickr, photobucket, etc..
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,847
    edited January 2011
    Del-dom reported