Texas Members, Dallas locals - heads up

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited January 2004 in Gatherings & Special Events
The Gathering is THIS Saturday in McKinney.

Where are all the Dallasites, and WHY aren't you guys coming out? This is the 'all call', lets go fellas, only YOU can make this thing GREAT. This is an OUTSTANDING opportunity to listen to a WIDE variety of Polk speakers spanning over TWENTY FIVE years of production.

FREE lunch, FREE booze / soft drinks, FREE stuff IF you show up.

Come meet some people, check out some gear, and MAYBE, just MAYBE talk with a 'special guest'. This is a casual meet, come and go as you please, but at LEAST pop in and dig a demo or two.

Who's with me?

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited January 2004
    Wish I could come, there's just no way that I can work it out. Maybe I can make it down if you do this again next year. Hope you guys have one hell of a good time, with russ backing this I know that you will.

Cheers,
    Mike
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2004
    Anyone within a 2 or 3 hour drive who doesn't take advantage of this opportunity is an IDIOT. (There...I've laid down the gauntlet!). I would be there in a heartbeat and had actually considered throwing the Advents, RT55is and a couple of CDPs in the trunk and driving down. However, my daughter drove down to Ft. Worth over Christmas break and told me it was easily a 12 hour drive (850 mi.) and when "Ole' Leadfoot" gives me driving time I know it is pretty accurate. Just a little too long for a weekend.

I hope we could get something similar going in the SE. We've got several members in the VA, NC, SC, TN, GA areas...so maybe down the road a Southeast Polk Gathering could be arranged!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2004
    shack, Where in TN?

Dude, I can't be anywhere NEAR 850 miles for you. According to mapquest, it's only 900 from Charleston SC to Casa Gates. I say, only, but you know what I mean.

I'm down with hosting an eastern Polkfest but it would probably have to wait until next fall timeframe.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shack
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by TroyD
    shack, Where in TN?

I'm down with hosting an eastern Polkfest but it would probably have to wait until next fall timeframe.

Knoxville. I could maybe host one too. I've got a 700 sq ft. den with lots of room.
    Dude, I can't be anywhere NEAR 850 miles for you. According to mapquest, it's only 900 from Charleston SC to Casa Gates. I say, only, but you know what I mean

See my Yahoo map below which is consistent with what my daughter found. The difference must be that I'm more North. It takes me just under 4 hours to get to Columbia and then less than 2 more to get to Charleston. Charleston is about 380 mi. from Knoxville.

I've driven to Hilton Head for a weekend so Charleston is a no brainer. I've got a friend with a cabin on Folly Beach and another that has a house on Hilton Head. Maybe I could use one of those. Some gear and golf - maybe some surf and seafood ....mmmmm....could make for a nice weekend.

Yahoo! Maps
    To Directions
    Starting from: Knoxville, TN 37938
    Arriving at: Mc Kinney, TX
    Distance:833.8 miles
    Approximate Travel Time:12 hours 49 mins.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2004
    Shack, I've driven Dallas to Nashville literally dozens of times and never was it over ten hours except the time there was a blizzard (or so this Texan calls it). My best was 8.5 hours, but that was low altitude flying, not driving. The key is to stop for gas and grub at the same exit and don't sit down in a restaurant. The only time I ever shut the motor off was to go to the restroom.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2004
    WL,

Are you going to be able to make it up on Saturday?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by wlrandall
    Shack, I've driven Dallas to Nashville literally dozens of times and never was it over ten hours except the time there was a blizzard (or so this Texan calls it). My best was 8.5 hours, but that was low altitude flying, not driving.
    I've driven to Nashville from Knoxville a couple hundred or so times over the the last 20 years (home office was in Nashville now Memphis) and it is always 3 hours from my door to the I-40 / I-24 split (east side of town). Your best time plus 3 is 11.5 hours or 13 hours otherwise. 11.5/13 - Long weekend trip either way.
    The key is to stop for gas and grub at the same exit and don't sit down in a restaurant. The only time I ever shut the motor off was to go to the restroom.
    I know that routine. I used to have to go to Baton Rouge a couple of times a year. 10 hours one way (680 miles back when SL was 55). 5 non-stop hours to Tuscaloosa. Pee, gas up and grab a bite to eat five more non-stop to Baton Rouge. Then the reverse.

• TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Damn, shack, it just doesn't seem like it should be that far for you is all.......It's 1151 miles for me, I'd love to go just can't swing the time off right now.

We definately need to get this Eastern Polkfest off the ground. I got the room to do it as well, let's see what we can come up with. I wouldn't mind doing it this spring but I'm not sure when I'm going to have to roll out again for the desert and I'd hate to plan a party and not be here for it!

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Back on topic though...

All the Polksters within striking distance of Dallas NEED to get to Russ's this weekend. I KNOW this is gonna be a great event.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2004
    Go for it Troy, at this point, I'll only have need for HALF the goodie packs Micah busted his **** for. I'd be more than happy to forward them on, if it's ok with Micah - and you guys get something going.

Maybe some people will actually show up in your part of the country.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited January 2004
    If its in SC, I bet my Dad and I will be there, garunteed :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Again, c'mon guys.

FREE FOOD, FREE BOOZE, FREE STUFF....

What more do you want? Cost you nothing but some gas and a little of your time.

I've been to Russ's house, it's like an audio shrine and he and Brandy are the most gracious of hosts.

C'mon gang, if we want Polk to support us in these endeavors, we got to have audience participation!

BDT
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2004
    Russ,

Not sure yet; got music practice until noon and I'm supposed to watch the kiddos while the wife does her thing in the afternoon. Need to try and bribe my mother-in-law.

How late is it going to last??

Wally
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2004
    I'll be taking guys to the airport around 5 on Saturday.

Friday night is still WIDE open though....

It would be great if you could stop by, even if only for a little while.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by TroyD

C'mon gang, if we want Polk to support us in these endeavors, we got to have audience participation!

BDT

Absolutely,

If I was within an eight hour drive, I'd be there.

Damn it sounds like a blast.:D

Come on!
  • shack
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by wlrandall
    Not sure yet; got music practice until noon and I'm supposed to watch the kiddos while the wife does her thing in the afternoon. Need to try and bribe my mother-in-law.

Wally

Wally, Bag music practice, hire a babysitter, tell your wife to keep her butt at home and watch the kids, tell your m-in-law if she doesn't watch the grandkids you're moving to Alaska and she can see them when they get out of college...do whatever it takes to get over to Casa Gates... sheeez...I was this close to driving 12 hours one way just to attend...surely you can find a way to get across town for a couple of hours!

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2004
    Russ, i thought this was all set.. did some peeps back out on ya?

I'd love to be able to go.. but since i'm in the Northwest. it's impossible. wish we could all meet in some central location some time.. like Vegas or Denver or anyplace else.

I'll be in Reno this July!! ha ha ha

laterz, Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2004
    Trying to come up with some way I can get there.

Jason
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited January 2004
    JCaut - Bus, Taxi, Horseback, Turtle....let us know which one to send you :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited January 2004
    Hope you guys have a great time I live in the northwest and I am so busy now I wis I could make it. Have fun!!!
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by warviper
    Hope you guys have a great time I live in the northwest and I am so busy now I wis I could make it. Have fun!!!

We're getting enough NW Polksters for one of our own. We should look into it
  • warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited January 2004
    If we can start it late saturday and have it run through to sunday my place is avalible I dont have much gear though.:( just lots of space.
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2004
    I'll give $20.00 to the first person that hasn't already committed (or has cancelled) that shows up and leaves Russ with an "upper decker".

Sorry it had to come to this Russ. I'm just trying to get people to show up.

What happens when a fat 9 yr old girl with braces, glasses and a lisp has a party? Please don't make Russ out to be that fat, lispy, crooked toothed girl.

Last night I double checked airfares and bank accounts. I'm sad.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited January 2004
    Holy crap, I haven't heard Upper Decker in a while.... that's halarious
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2004
    Short of a true emergency, anyone who lives within 100 miles of Russ should be planning on attending.

You don't find this kind of selfless, philanthropic behavior anymore. You have NO IDEA how many hours of planning, organizing, and preparation went into this event.

Years ago - before we all started living in an electronic bubble and stopped socializing in person - events like this were the raison d'etre for the A/V community - we used to call them swap meets, etc. People flocked from miles around, brought gifts and money and food and planned on a grand time. And they went home the richer for it.

Don't leave Russ hanging guys - this is what it's all about. If I didn't live across the country, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Show some Club Polk spirit and show up and shake Russ' hand and swap some lies and have a beer and check out the gear and take home something nice from Polk Audio, but more importantly take home some great memories and keep the great tradition of the swap meet alive and well.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2004
    Ed,

Nice to see you pop your head in again.

The Maryland boys, John, Mark, Chuck and myself took a vote and Mark was elected to represent us. Funny thing is that he didn't know it. :D

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2004
    Doc, you should be a writer. Thanks for spelling it out, nothing to add here.

And in the 'swap meet' spirit, I've got quite a few thing set out to sell / trade on the cheap. Everything from assembled jbl and polk crossovers, Audax and Seas drivers, to a Nakamichi Cassette deck, Luxman Receiver, Carver 5 Disc Changer, Sony ES Tuner and ES Dual Cassette Deck, Technics Single Disc, Audiosource Monoblock amp....

I'm hoping for a good turnout, there LITERALLY should be SOMETHING for EVERYONE.

Cheers,
    Russ