Bass management settings for HT

Options
larryh
larryh Posts: 2
I have a Yamaha HTR-5250 A/V and the following Polk speakers: main - RT600i; center - CS400i; surround -f/x300i and subwoofer -PSW250. I am not certain whether I should select large or small for the center and main speakers, and either the subwoofer or both position for bass out on the receiver set up. I currently have speakers set to large anbd subwoofer to both, but sometimes the dialogue tracks sound a little muddy on DVD and TV. I'm a little hard of hearing and am trying to get the clearest reproduction I can on the dialogue tracks. The RT600i instruction manual doesn't indicate whether the setting should be large or small and the CS400i is a little ambivalent on the issue. I know that no one can hear through my ears but me, but I would appreciate any advice you might give. Thanks, Larry
Post edited by larryh on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I would set all of your speakers to small. I don't know what subwoofer to 'both' means, but hopefully someone with a Yamaha can better help you there. But I would definitely set your speakers to small.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Larry, Set all speakers to SMALL and buy a buffer subwoofer. Run the center a couple clicks hot. Mud will go - amp work cooler. ;)
  • larryh
    larryh Posts: 2
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks for your help. The subwoofer setting has three choices: subwoofer only; both, which channels low frequencies to both the mains and the subwoofer, and none. If I set the mains to large, I use both; if I set them to small, I should probably use subwoofer only. Would you agree with that? Thanks, Larry
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by larryh
    Thanks for your help. The subwoofer setting has three choices: subwoofer only; both, which channels low frequencies to both the mains and the subwoofer, and none. If I set the mains to large, I use both; if I set them to small, I should probably use subwoofer only. Would you agree with that? Thanks, Larry
    Ya, most recievers automaticly send the bass to the sub when set to small. Both would be a LARGE setting on the mains anyway.
    Strange option........
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    edit - been twicking computer lately and my browser is not updating post correctly.:confused:
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Yes, set all speakers to small and select sub only.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Larry, to confirm what L&C said, set all speakers small and set subwoofer only, not both. That'll then roll off the speakers below 90Hz and send that bass to the sub alone. Be sure to adjust the sub output so that it isn't so loud that it draws attention to itself as a separate source; the impression should be that the sub isn't working but that the other speakers are putting out more bass.
  • CT2
    CT2 Posts: 18
    edited January 2004
    Options
    If set main SMALL, shall you also remove the gold plate on speaker post and connect only top post?

Thanks,

CT2
    Mains: RTi70
    Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Rear Center: Not yet
    Sub: STF-2
    Receiver: HK AVR120/ Yamaha RX-V1400
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Experiment with both settings and see what sounds best for you.

Dan
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by CT2
    If set main SMALL, shall you also remove the gold plate on speaker post and connect only top post?
    Thanks,
    CT2
    No, then only the tweeter will work. The seperate post are for Bi-Amping. Nothing to do with large or small.
  • CT2
    CT2 Posts: 18
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Actually, what I learnt fron this forum is that bottom post are for
    bass and top post are for high and mid range. If bass signal will
    be handled by seperate sub, I would think it's better not send signal to main's woofer, this will also make mid and high more clean. Am I totally wrong here?

Thanks for any input,
    CT2
    Mains: RTi70
    Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Rear Center: Not yet
    Sub: STF-2
    Receiver: HK AVR120/ Yamaha RX-V1400
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    CT2,
    Thier are several different speakers Polk makes. If you are talking about a powered sub tower, then ya you are right but still wrong. They can not be bi-amped. The bottom post are for the input signal to the sub amp and even then you can use the rca analog inputs. On most if not all other models - top tweeter and bottom drivers.
    Even set to small on my RT1000p's the internal sub puts out tons of bass, it is just not as deep (thus also they were not designed for really low bass anyway) and therefore can be cranked up a bit more.
    Did I confuse ya!!!!!! :D
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Yes, CT, you've misunderstood. The crossover done by the filter in the receiver, generally around 80Hz, sends the bass below that frequency to the sub, but frequencies above 80Hz are still handled by the lower driver in the main speakers; in some cases this is up to 3,000Hz or higher. If you disconnected the strap you'd have only the upper section of the speaker operating and the frequencies from around 80Hz up to 3,000Hz, or as high as the lower speaker goes, would be mostly lost.