speaker stands

silvertuner
silvertuner Posts: 496
edited December 2010 in Speakers
im looking for a set of speaker stands for my s6's. they are only 21" tall and would like to get them a couple feet give or take off the ground for when they make it into the living room. i know there are big differences in stands, and id rather not have to screw them onto the stands unless i absolutely have to. any suggestions? i have about $100 i could spend on the stands as soon as my RTA's sell. any input is welcome!

some cheap free sony speakers
psw125
denon 1610
3.1 channel because i hate cables ran across the living room like that
Post edited by silvertuner on

Comments

• Ericw2431
    Ericw2431 Posts: 228
    edited November 2010
    you could look at sanus speaker stands or i personally have the paradigm speaker stands are around 26" and are for 150
    Room Theater:
    Fronts:RTIA3
    center; CSIA6
    AVR: Onkyo 709
    panasonic 55"plasma
    Ps3 slim 250gb
    surrounds.Fxia6
    Sub...svs pc13 ULTRA
    Amp:Emotiva xpa3
  • ChuckW
    ChuckW Posts: 8
    edited November 2010
    After reading dozens of reviews, I opted for the Sanus Systems Natural Foundations stands, I found them at amazon (30" in black) for under $60 for a pair including shipping. Expecting them thursday, so I'll have more to say then.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2010
  • cheif pontiac
    cheif pontiac Posts: 138
    edited November 2010
    I've had some Sanus Natural Foundations 24 inch for about 10 years. They seem to be a good value. I have had several different pairs of bookshelf speakers on them. Kef Q15's is what I originally bought them for. I have RT7's on them now. I have them spiked and they have held the speakers well with no screws. The speaker platform is big enough to provide a secure bass for your S6 speakers. The finish has held up well on them too.

I have a basement rec room system with some RT5's for the rears. I have thought about buying some S6 or S8's to replace them. I thought maybe with the passive woofer I would get a little more bass. S10's were my first Polk speakers, back in 94.
    System:
    Samsung LN46C630
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1
    DVD/Blu: Denon 2910/Playstation 3
    Front mains: RT16
    Front presence: F/X 500i
    Center: CS400
    Rear surrounds: RT1000p
    Rear center: RT7
    Subwoofer: PSW505 X 2

2 Channel
    Marantz 2252B
    Technics SL-Q2 turntable
    Kef Q50
  • cheif pontiac
    cheif pontiac Posts: 138
    edited November 2010
    I should also add that the natural foundations is way nicer looking than the "BF" version. Like I said I have had them for 10 years and I ordered a pair of stands earlier this year. I was just looking at the name Sanus and did not realize the ones I was ordering was different. I was somewhat disappointed.
    System:
    Samsung LN46C630
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1
    DVD/Blu: Denon 2910/Playstation 3
    Front mains: RT16
    Front presence: F/X 500i
    Center: CS400
    Rear surrounds: RT1000p
    Rear center: RT7
    Subwoofer: PSW505 X 2

2 Channel
    Marantz 2252B
    Technics SL-Q2 turntable
    Kef Q50
  • ChuckW
    edited November 2010
    Wow, that was quick shipping, they arrived this evening and I assembled them. I'm very pleased - they're very solid, and have points that penetrate the carpet so they're stable. Recommended. (No speakers yet, so I can't speak to how well the cable hider works.
  • silvertuner
    edited December 2010
    ChuckW wrote: »
    After reading dozens of reviews, I opted for the Sanus Systems Natural Foundations stands, I found them at amazon (30" in black) for under $60 for a pair including shipping. Expecting them thursday, so I'll have more to say then.

let me know more about these when you get them. can you add sand or lead shot into them to weight them down a bit? a dog, cat, and soon to be 3 kids living in the house, need some stability lol. as soon as my rta8's sell im picking up a pair of stands for the s6's, and hopefully will be even happier with their sound.

psw125
    denon 1610
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    These are really nice. I'd like to own a pair.

I like the red ones with the carbon fibre

http://www.whitworthdesign.com/pages/speakerstand.html#

From the Designer:

The "Pulse" speaker stands are available, we have all of the parts in stock, we just need to know what model and finishes that you desire. as far as pricing: the series 1 stands are 699.00 per pair in polished or brushed aluminum and 899.00 with the carbon fiber main tubes. the series 2 stands (for larger speakers) are 1499.00 per pair in aluminum and are not available with the carbon fiber option at the moment but will be shortly.

Not Affliated

What a great $600-1500 recommendation Lasareath? Why bother posting if you can't actually take a minute to help?

I believe that the Sanus stand is probably the most recommended and used amongst the general forum. $60 sounds like it's in your bracket Silvertuner. Most Sanus stands are hollow and can be weighted down. I'd suggest shot but if you have lead concerns with your children....that's your call.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2010
    I took at least two minutes to post that info. I had to switch back forth to make at least two copy-clips. I like to give alternative options. I'll leave the simple answers for the rest of you clowns. Have a great day!

Thanks for calling the helpful members of Club Polk clowns.... awesome. I also leave the bulk of the easier questions to the other forum members since our collective body of knowledge is now larger than it was in 2003-2005. I'm sure your distaste of the collective is now noted. You have to be consistent in who you dislike around here man, have you learned nothing over the years. :rolleyes:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2010
    Uh, yeah knowing you in person doesn't really make me think of someone with horns honey. By all means KEEP me on that list freak. Just when I started to speak well of you in our inner circle. Oh well....I just saw a squirrell.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    edited December 2010
    I took at least two minutes to post that info. I had to switch back forth to make at least two copy-clips. I like to give alternative options. I'll leave the simple answers for the rest of you clowns. Have a great day!

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm this clown thinks if the OP has only $100 to spend then a totally useless option was posted..but then again whats a clown know ;)
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2010
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm this clown thinks if the OP has only $100 to spend then a totally useless option was posted..but then again whats a clown know ;)

You can think all you want. I'll confirm it for you, and we don't have to think, but rather KNOW.
    i have about $100 i could spend on the stands as soon as my RTA's sell. any input is welcome!

Thanks for your help Sal!
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • silvertuner
    edited December 2010
    wow this thread blew up. while i dont have $600+ to spend on stands, maybe it could help someone else in the future who searches the site? lol. i will most likely fill the stands with sand, or take all the old slag laying around the shop floor from welding and throw it in them lol

psw125
    denon 1610
  • ChuckW
    edited December 2010
    let me know more about these when you get them. can you add sand or lead shot into them to weight them down a bit? a dog, cat, and soon to be 3 kids living in the house, need some stability lol. as soon as my rta8's sell im picking up a pair of stands for the s6's, and hopefully will be even happier with their sound.

The reason that I went with the NF series is the solid mdf pillars, they seemed to get better reviews because they lacked a hollow cylinder that could resonate.

They do have nice carpet spikes, so depending on your flooring, that might add stability.
  • silvertuner
    edited December 2010
    ahh gotcha. well, maybe with a 20lb speaker on them they would be alright. if not i can chain them to the wall right? lol. i may still do it, if i keep the s6's. my entire set up is on CL, so i may end up redoing everything, but i will definitely keep these in mind

psw125
    denon 1610
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2010
    Don't mind me, i'm just trailer trash.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2010
    while i dont have $600+ to spend on stands, maybe it could help someone else in the future who searches the site? lol.

Exactly, LOL.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2010
    Christmas stress anyone? Relax guys...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2