Boston Acoustics sub and radiator

PerfectCreature
PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
edited November 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
So, I had my local shop tell me that in order to use a radiator I should use two of them. I got extremely confused as most speakers that are placed use the same size radiator as their driver they are feeding off of.
I just bought a Boston G3 sub with the radiator. Both 10 inch. After some poking around I decided for the money the Boston sub looked fairly attractive, and seemed to perform well without killing the low notes. Goes down to about 24hrz....so that is not to terrible.
Anyway, my question is this. Who has worked with them and are they worth it?

I am placing both of them in a .85 cu foot sealed box. They will be placed across from each other. Anyway, if anyone wanted to look into this that would be great.
I did call Boston Acoustics and they told me that anyone telling em you need two radiators for one sub is wrong and I should stay away from that shop.

Anyway the subwoofer in question. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065G31044/Boston-Acoustics-G310-44.html?tp=111

The radiator in question http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065GTR10/Boston-Acoustics-GTR10-TunableRadiator.html?tp=111

So let me know what you guys think, or if it is a waste of money. I am getting both of them from a friend as a trade for my Alpine Type R. They were never used so they are in like new condition.
Receiver
Harman Kardon HK 3490
Speakers
Polk Audio Monitor 50s
Subwoofer
Klipsch KSW-100
Cables
AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
PS4
Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
Post edited by PerfectCreature on

Comments

• rehall
    rehall Posts: 9
    edited November 2010
    P. C. , One might be inclined to ask if you've read the radiator link yourself.The g3 subs are nice and if you're alpine has some age on it and the g3 is brand new then I would go with the boston.They have made nice speakers for some time now.The radiator is made just for the g5 sub.Use the g3 and sell the radiator.I've also never seen two radiators on one sub.Boston offers cabinets with the g5 series and they only use one and they ought to know.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited November 2010
    Never seen/heard the use of 2 radiators either.

If your friend is willing to trade, go for it. But with all this jumping around with subs, I have to ask; why not just get an SR and be done with it?

I'm running an MTX sub for 2+ months now and love it. I was thinking about going with a 12" SR but told my gf to get me the MM 12" instead (due to space limitations).

In the meantime, I'm just enjoying my current sub until x-mas when I get my MM sub.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • PerfectCreature
    edited November 2010
    Well, Boston advised me that I could use the radiator. They said the G3 will function just as well as the G5 with the radiator.
    As for the SR, that is a lot of cash, plus I would need to upgrade my amp and my box.
    I was considering the the SR....then I was thinking about the MM.
    Getting the 12 inch one instead, I think that would be a very powerful subwoofer. Not as powerful as the SR, but I think it could do a fine job with 360 watts rms.

I looked on amazon, found a 10 inch SR for 219...not sure that it would be covered by the warranty....
    I also found the MM for about 139.
    If it is covered I will be getting the SR.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2010
    I know there is literature out there. can not remember where right now, that states for optimum performance you radiator should have at least twice the surface area of the driver, with 3 times being optimal. Most passive setups have a passive that is larger than the active drivers (Sda 2s and monitor 7s come to mind). In a car environment I can see one working well as long as it has enough travel. The down side to a passive system is it has a sharper cutoff rate than a sealed or ported design, not much worse than a ported design though, maybe a db more per octave. Infinity has/had a bass link system that had 2 passives for vehicle use. But that is all on paper, real work can throw a few screws in the mix.
  • PerfectCreature
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. I am just going to give up on the radiator.
    The Polk SR would not be covered...I guess onlinecarstereo is an authorized polk dealer? I never knew.
    Anyway, I am thinking of buying the MM. Talk to a polk rep and they said it would function much better than the Type R did. So, we will see.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2