Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2010
    Mike, do you think with that much circuitry there would be higher distortion levels and noise?
    I used to believe that more parts=less musical, less dynamics, etc... I don't believe that to be the case anymore. As long as the circuits are well engineered and quality parts are used, there should be no degradation of sound quality.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2010
    Just go active. That XO is ridiculous.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited November 2010
    Active, with all Nagra gear? :eek: Passive would be MUCH cheaper. It's just under 40 parts, it's not THAT bad. :)

My current speakers have 27 per cabinet due to the ceramic drivers.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited November 2010
    I like how its all exposed--might as well be able to view the good stuff right? Although I think I'd probably at least put some plexi over it or something. Probably does have a cover that's just not on right now though.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2010
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    I like how its all exposed--might as well be able to view the good stuff right? Although I think I'd probably at least put some plexi over it or something. Probably does have a cover that's just not on right now though.

Agreed! There is a cool factor involved plus it's on the outside of the cabinet away from any internal vibration or resonance.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited December 2010
    Absolute BEST Analog Volume Attenuator Ever Created By Humans Thus Far!

It's ultimate construction make this Attenuator sounds even superior to the $1200 Alps Attenuator.

Photo Courtesy of TheVintageKnob! Oh yeah, I got one in my Exclusive C7a. :wink:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53909&d=1292290679
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2010
    Looks like something from NASA's "Lunar Module" days!
  • megasat16
    edited December 2010
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Looks like something from NASA's "Lunar Module" days!

Yeah. Good things comes in threes. :biggrin:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2010
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Accuphase C-290V with it's famous $1200 Alps Potentiometer! Supposed to be the BEST of the BEST POT ever!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=53158&stc=1&d=1289613228

Is that supposed to be the ALPS pot? Looks like it says Matsushita to me. Or are they one and the same anymore?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • megasat16
    edited December 2010
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be the ALPS pot? Looks like it says Matsushita to me. Or are they one and the same anymore?

Yep. It's made by Alps and same POT with Alps name is sold to the select few audio nuts for $1200 a pop.

I think Alps is OEM for Matsushita or Matsushita makes Alps.

AFAIK, these pots are made only for a short period and supply is very limited. And all known supplies are secured by Accuphase for service and support.

Of coz, Accuphase charges not less than twice of what Alps sold to them. The name says it all.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited December 2010
    WOW,thats cool James.Accuphase have always made top quality products and that pot explains in part why they their units cost a small fortune.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited December 2010
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Absolute BEST Analog Volume Attenuator Ever Created By Humans Thus Far!

It's ultimate construction make this Attenuator sounds even superior to the $1200 Alps Attenuator.

Photo Courtesy of TheVintageKnob! Oh yeah, I got one in my Exclusive C7a. :wink:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53909&d=1292290679

Sorry, but the best sound will always come from a stepped attenuator using high quality precision resistors. That may be the best sounding potentiometer, but not the best attenuator. Don't believe everything you read on Axel's site.

EDIT: OK, I read those are actually motorized stepped attenuators. I can tell by the construction they are by no means the best in the world. Sorry, that would be something like a Goldpoint or Elma with Holco resistors. There is probably something better than that also, but those are the more mainstream available ones.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Face
    edited December 2010
    Vishay naked Z-Foil resistors are the new king.
  • megasat16
    edited December 2010
    billbillw wrote: »
    Sorry, but the best sound will always come from a stepped attenuator using high quality precision resistors.
    That may be the best sounding potentiometer, but not the best attenuator.

Ok! I love to see the best Analog Attenuator design by date. Yeah, I've seen most of it.

Don't believe everything you read on Axel's site.

Nope! Pure Experimental and having heard over a dozen of High End Preamps side by side and learn the differences, I came to the conclusion. I don't talk with other's mouth. I read, I study, I experiment, and I talk.
    EDIT: OK, I read those are actually motorized stepped attenuators. I can tell by the construction they are by no means the best in the world. Sorry, that would be something like a Goldpoint or Elma with Holco resistors. There is probably something better than that also, but those are the more mainstream available ones.

What did you learn from the construction. Do you know what the circuit board in the background means? It makes the whole concept so special to track and correct the resistive arrays elements on both L & R to 0.5dB (more like 0dB) at any volume. The front step attenuator should have been enough but they included the motorized resistive array and error control mechanism for resistance compensation.

As usual, the Japanese companies don't provide any information on the Technology. Even TVB don't have the complete info on these. Coz these are Pioneer Highest Line Exclusive and not to be seen in the U.S. I have seen Accuphase, Luxman, Boulder and FM Acoustics designs. Everyone does things differently but yeah, I will repeat this is the highest order of the design and implementation of (Full) Analog Attenuator.
  • megasat16
    edited December 2010
    Face wrote: »
    Vishay naked Z-Foil resistors are the new king.

Sorry Mike! As the resistors, yeah! But for use as Volume Attenuator. Nope. No error correction method but again Z-foils are very high precision grade, so error correction may not be necessary. But even small errors adds up when added.
  • megasat16
    edited December 2010
    FTGV wrote: »
    WOW,thats cool James.Accuphase have always made top quality products and that pot explains in part why they their units cost a small fortune.

Thanks Fred! As I learnt it; C-290V is the last Accuphase Flagship preamp with real Analog Volume Pot. They have switched to AAVA after the C-290V. I've heard that makes the previous AAVA preamps sound a little thin but now they have further refined the AAVA technology and their newer ones are hardcore.

http://www.accuphase.com/aava.html
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2010
    Basket case (scrap metal pile find) Marantz 2220 (predecessor to the "B" version). Hefty durn piece of soiled state equipment. Probably can't tell from the crummy available incandescent light shot, but the front panel markings are all engraved.

2215ambient.jpg
    DSCN7357.jpg
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited December 2010
    denon avr 3300 and marantz ma500u
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2011
    Quicksilver M-80 monoblock
    096.jpg 491.2K
    098.jpg 426.9K
    099.jpg 468.8K
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited February 2011
    Quicksilver M-80 monoblock
    Nice George are they recent acquisitions?

I wish I lived near mhardy's scrap yard.Does that 2220 work?
  • george daniel
    edited February 2011
    I've had em' for about 2 years,,well built,,wish I had those skills
  • george daniel
    edited February 2011
    An afterthought,, the three film caps at the top of the picture (.22uf/480volt) are apparently bypass caps,as each one is on a big blue electrolytic,,would I hear any difference or increase performance by upgrading them? Also,, there are two smaller caps(.056uf) caps between the 12FQ7 and 12BH7 tube.I'm probabally gonna replace the bias resistors cause' the amps are about 16 years of age now.BTw--I was really knocked over by the way all of the components had "precise" bends in the leads,looks like alot of forethought and planning went into the production.I also should say that I've seen the work of Jesse,Rich,Jerry, and Ben,,, impressive to say the least,as when I looked inside the amp last night,I was reminded of you guys.
  • george daniel
    edited February 2011
    Here's one of the Quicksilver GLA 40 watt tuber,,can you tell that I'm kinda bored? Pulling the bottom covers off my amps,,man this economy is killing me,,throw in the Georgia weather doldrums,,and you have a recipe for funk.Or maybe just blue.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited June 2011
    nice George.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2011
    ahem...

boserx.jpg
    boseinnards.jpg
    bose1.jpg

-- it looks better than a Technics SA-80 inside... :-P
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited June 2011
    Seems like many of you are not getting the point of showing the "****(embly)" first.

Back panel shots boys!
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Face
    edited June 2011
    This thread has almost died off after someone changed the title.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2011
    I still like it, maybe I'm turning Japanese

"I want a doctor to take your picture,
    so I can look at you from inside as well..."

:-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited July 2011
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2011
    Rainy day in MA - good day to do some DeOxiting.

Today's victims:

hk495i

hk495ithreequarter.jpg
    hk495ithreequartertopless.jpg
    hk495itopless.jpg

hk680i

hk690ithreequarter.jpg
    hk690itopless.jpg

The latter is pretty beefy.