Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2010
    Here's a vintage Onkyo TX-7000 for ya-

1055438620_nRbMv-L.jpg

1055439246_zJ9WZ-L.jpg

1055440661_Ntr3L-L.jpg

1055441121_AeZhy-L.jpg

1055442635_bUnYZ-L.jpg
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2010
    Pioneer A-77x

1056771484_w7kjU-L.jpg

1056772149_imZwc-L.jpg

1056772724_SUbfD-L.jpg

1056773259_Boc2K-L.jpg

1056773897_ndAhy-L.jpg

1056774362_wQ2ww-L.jpg

1056774895_CRRof-L.jpg
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2010
    My newest acquisition, too bad it's only mono.

consolee.th.jpg

consoleguts.th.jpg

consolett.th.jpg

receiptl.th.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2010
    A voice matched center chan for the 3 ways no?:D
  • Face
    edited October 2010
    LOL! :D

I may gut it, sand it down, refinish it, then put a chip amp in there with some spare drivers and use it for background music in another room.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited October 2010
    Oh no...you have TONE Control in there. :eek:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2010
    it's toots!
    Tell us of its amplifier...
  • Face
    edited October 2010
    Has a decent tranny, 2 Raytheon 6V6GT's, a Sylvania 6AN8, and a no name 6X4. Haven't attempted to fire it up, AFAIK, it hasn't been used in years.
  • sm88
    sm88 Posts: 353
    edited October 2010
    1022102001c.th.jpg

This fine Asian lady is a Nakamichi Stasis i'm working on (she has lost half of her voice!). Looks brand new on the inside, not a speck of dust. Nelson Pass design, i'm rather impressed with the build

e: btw if anyone has a schematic for this let me know
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2010
    That STASIS gear is solid....always a winner and fairly unique.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2010
    Hello,
    I just finished a pretty thorough sprucing up of my home brew preamp that I made a few years ago. I hadn't done this in quite a while, lots of the power supply connections needed taking apart and "Flitzing". I replaced the three tubes in the high level stage and checked the adjustable filament supply. It was very close to being right where it should be. I polished all of the RCA inputs and outputs and the faceplate and knobs. I also checked all of the caps in the power supply and none were showing any problems on the ESR meter.
    Enjoy, Ken
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2010
    sm88 wrote: »
    1022102001c.th.jpg

This fine Asian lady is a Nakamichi Stasis i'm working on (she has lost half of her voice!). Looks brand new on the inside, not a speck of dust. Nelson Pass design, i'm rather impressed with the build

e: btw if anyone has a schematic for this let me know

Lots of talk over in both the Pass Labs forum and Soild State forum at DIYAUDIO.com

They can help w/schematics, advice, etc.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2010
    Hello,
    I just finished a pretty thorough sprucing up of my home brew preamp that I made a few years ago. I hadn't done this in quite a while, lots of the power supply connections needed taking apart and "Flitzing". I replaced the three tubes in the high level stage and checked the adjustable filament supply. It was very close to being right where it should be. I polished all of the RCA inputs and outputs and the faceplate and knobs. I also checked all of the caps in the power supply and none were showing any problems on the ESR meter.
    Enjoy, Ken

Looks good to me, sir!

Ken, did you see the Mark Deneen-designed ADC preamp that passed through my quarters a few years back? Your preamp's internals reminded me of it (the ADC was sheer overkill, with constant-current active loads on all the signal-handling tubes).

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=488275&postcount=139

sorry the photo's so big (and the innards were so dusty)...

Pc310022.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010
    Thanks, Mark.
    I built this about 20 years ago and outside of the normal tube changes there's not been a moment's problem. Of course, now that I say that it'll blow up. The power supply is based upon a 1981 article in Audio Amateur by Brian Clark. There are no series resistors, each of the three B+ are individually regulated with pass transistors and zener diode references. He raises the current flowing through each zener to reduce it's dynamic impedance. The result is a highly regulated low impedance power supply. I couldn't measure any ripple on it, pure DC.
    I paid a lot of attention to the filament supply, which I turn on first to avoid stripping. It gradually comes up to full level in about a minute then the B+ is turned on. I've never had a 12AX7AX fail, I change them just to have something to change. The preamp circuit is based on the SP6 with cathode followers on both phono and high level. I only use the high level now
    I want to build a tube power supply for it, maybe a hybrid with SS and tube rectification and a choke?
    That preamp you had looks very interesting, do you still have it? I've not heard the Jucy Audio gear, but it gets good comments.
    Ken
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2010
    No, it had one bad channel and I actually passed it along to its designer... who didn't have one and was pleased and surprised to have the opportunity. The punchline of the story: It was a $13 eBAY acquisition. It's a funny old world.

Mark is a fine fellow and as far as I can tell a talented designer. He, unfortunately, folded Juicy Music. I don't know whether he's restored the ADC preamp or not.

Back to yours - I know that it's hard to get vacuum tube preamps (with even modest gain) quiet! No mean feat in the case of the one you described and built!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2010
    Ken, that looks beautiful, and that Juicy Music looks Gorgeous. OMG How I coming a Tube lover.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2010
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Looks good to me, sir!

Ken, did you see the Mark Deneen-designed ADC preamp that passed through my quarters a few years back? Your preamp's internals reminded me of it (the ADC was sheer overkill, with constant-current active loads on all the signal-handling tubes).

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=488275&postcount=139

sorry the photo's so big (and the innards were so dusty)...

Pc310022.jpg

Thats a busy chassis for a preamp.What vintage mid 80's ish?
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2010
    Ken,

Very Cool. Now the real thing is........

I bet the brew in that green cup has got to be awesome!!!!!

ManRule--Never touch a guy's WorkBench Joe cup.

RT1
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2010
    Wow that's some preamp Ken. How would you go about getting that 20 year accumulation of dust off the components? I have a couple of pieces that need a good cleaning and compressed air just didn't do the job. I thought about some Q-tips and a mild solvent but I think that would take forever.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2010
    I bought a set of inexpensive but not lousy-quality artist's soft bristle brushes. That's one of my main tools for heavy-duty dusting. A can of air (or dried compressed air if you've got it) can also be very useful (with care). Q-tips for those hard to reach areas, too.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010
    Hello,
    I'm pretty much a Flitz, Q-tip and Goo Gone and pure alcohol kind of cleaner-up guy. Here's a shot of the preamp back on duty.
    Cheers, Ken
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    Hello,
    I'm pretty much a Flitz, Q-tip and Goo Gone and pure alcohol kind of cleaner-up guy. Here's a shot of the preamp back on duty.
    Cheers, Ken

That seemed like quite a job Ken but the results at least the facia is beautiful.
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited October 2010
    I need some learning...please...

what , where , who
    is a KWS-1 ??

Hello,
    Cheers, Ken
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited October 2010
    jvc wrote: »
    I need some learning...please...

what , where , who
    is a KWS-1 ??

It's Ken's Initials.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited October 2010
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    It's Ken's Initials.

how much for the KWS - 2 ??
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited November 2010
    Here are some pics of my newly aquired Parasound D/AC 2000 Ultra DAC.

Digital inputs include Toslink, Coaxial, ST, and AES/EBU; I'm not familiar with the latter two.

I've mainly seen amps and preamps in this thread, so I thought I's throw in a DAC...:smile:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited November 2010
    I have the Audio-gd NFB-7 DAC being shipped to me on Wednesday. :cool:

NFB73.jpg
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited November 2010
    Accuphase C-290V with it's famous $1200 Alps Potentiometer! Supposed to be the BEST of the BEST POT ever!

C-290V has enough filter caps to shame most amplifiers. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=53159&stc=1&d=1289613463

attachment.php?attachmentid=53158&stc=1&d=1289613228
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Face
    edited November 2010
    Check out these crossovers...and I thought mine were ridiculous.

cinema5.jpg

Those are a pair of one off Nagra speakers.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2010
    Mike, do you think with that much circuitry there would be higher distortion levels and noise?

In any case THAT!!!! is impressive.