Polkfest 2011 Site?

13»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    The world is ending in 2012. It's 2011 or nothing! :p

Anyway, I don't really think that hosting a Polkfest is the production that so many seem to think. I will tell you that it tends to be more expensive than most people let on. The attendees are often insulated from that because the hosts are so gracious as well as Polk Audio itself who kick in a good portion of assistance.

I completely disagree, as another prior host of Polkfest in 2005. This isn't just something you throw together like a BBQ for a couple friends. It's very stressful for the host and the behind the scenes logistical issues for Polk and the host is a whole helluva lot more than you think. Your comment is way off base John, sorry. It's also an enormous responsibility for the host as I think as a true Polkie you should feel immense pressure to ensure it's success.

While you were running around smiling and chattering like a wind up toy, Lou was sweating and ensuring that every single guest was taken care of and that things moved smoothly. Coupled with the numerous equipment issues we encountered with the LSiM xovers and iPod snafu's....I was sweating and also stressed out to get things up and running quickly upon arrival. The things I had to handle for KAB/Polk since I'm the liason for these events was a huge responsibility and it was Lou & wonderful wife who really pulled it all together for the final explosion of success. Chalk it up to another bonafide blowout. Personally, I'll never host another one but 2012 up here at HQ threw a wrench in all that. But that doesn't matter at all now.

It's also about our solid Polkie community, folks like Anthony bringing all that great sausage.....John, YOU and others bringing regional beers and other things really solidify what it all means.

You'll never understand until you actually host, period man.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2010
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Doro,

It just seemed to me he was a little upset where the PF location was from him. If it's a problem to someone I understand, but also understand everyone is welcome in my book.

Ah ok, but I think we all get upset when we can't attend these things. They are legendary events for our little home here you know? It's starting to look very nice from what I can see.

You should contact me offline, down the road and let me know what you think you'll need. This will be relevant much later and just email me thru here. I cover all the Polkfest stuff on our end and it looks like we may need to add sunscreen for yours :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2010
    Thank You Doro / Mark I'll be in touch down the road so too speak. And yes if someone is sensitive to being burned Sunscreen would be nice, I make sure I have some on hand for anyone needing some.

Steve

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited November 2010
    :rolleyes:
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited November 2010
    is there a chance we can have 2 PF in one year? like a early west coast and a later east coast one?

just asking so please dont flame me
    mole'
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2010
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Thank You Doro / Mark I'll be in touch down the road so too speak. And yes if someone is sensitive to being burned Sunscreen would be nice, I make sure I have some on hand for anyone needing some.

Steve

Would you be willing to apply it to my back personally?
  • mole'
    edited November 2010
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Would you be willing to apply it to my back personally?

please post pics if this happens
    mole'
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2010
    yea your right.

Sorry Al, your a good Polkie and hope PF makes it your way.

Ted

Ted,

it's not about being right or wrong. it's about bringing balance to what is a fun event that a lot of people look forward to each year. I'd attend more of them if they were closer to me. I won't go into all the logistics, but attending an event on the East coast or Southeast area is quite a feat in itself.

I guess I represent the West coast to a small degree. Twice i've been to Polk headquarters for the tour and gathering afterwards. 2005 and 2008 respectively. I had a great time. 2005 as many know Mark opened his house to complete strangers for the most part.. putting himself out there in a big way. Having one mr Matthew Polk even attend. Which I think is pretty rare. As I said earlier I really applaud those people who open up their entire lives.. you included Mr. Ted in hosting a PF.

My only gripe is that it's (PF) never been given the chance to come any further West than say Chicago or Texas. Sure there are mini Polkfests.. but not the annual ones that are attended by the larger group.

I'm not saying I would want to host one.. that's not my beef and not in my radar. Besides I can't even get my mom to visit me in Spokane, I wouldn't expect any of you to either. :tongue:

IF someone in the coming years in a more accessible place be willing to open up their house to host a PF somewhere closer to where us Westies could get to easier, then I think it would add some balance, to what seems out of whack.

That's it. I wasn't trying to kill anyone's PF fun. I never say that I can't attend an annual PF no matter where it is.. until i'm 100% sure there is no way in hell I can make it there.

So big Ted, didn't mean to make the hairs on your neck stand up and vice versa. I was just trying to put in a bid for a possible West coast PF before they all got snatched up.

Finally, since i've never hosted a PF... i can't imagine how much planning goes into one. Luckily, this is the kind of forum where lots of people are willing to go above a beyond to help out when it's needed.

Sounds like there is some good initial interest in disneyjoe7's Orlando PF next year.. Steve will do everyone proud I"m sure.

I wanted to write this in this thread so everyone can read it and decipher my words for themselves.. and I wanted everyone to know that Ted started to push my button.. not completely, but enough for me to get the fangs out. :eek: :biggrin:

peace, AL
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2010
    I'd love to attend a West Coast....or nearly WC Polkfest as long as it isn't California. Seattle, or Washington overall would be awesome....love that place. Polk has been talking about this very issue for some time but it's ultimately a member decision to host.
  • mole'
    edited November 2010
    I'd love to attend a West Coast....or nearly WC Polkfest as long as it isn't California. Seattle, or Washington overall would be awesome....love that place.

:tongue::tongue::tongue:
    mole'
  • danger boy
    edited November 2010
    ha ha ha
  • danger boy
    edited November 2010
    I'd love to attend a West Coast....or nearly WC Polkfest as long as it isn't California.

i think you would fit in quite nicely in SF.. and your buttless chaps! :eek:

Ok.. Idaho it is then Mark.
  • mole'
    edited November 2010
    danger boy wrote: »

danger boy wrote: »

double post man

how much have you had to drink tonight???
    mole'
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2010
    I'm not saying I would want to host one.. that's not my beef and not in my radar

See Al, that's the problem....is lots of people say 'hey, we would love to have this..' but when push comes to shove, crickets.

I'm all for a WC Polkfest...again, the issue is that historically getting people to host has been limited to those of us on the East Coast.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mole'
    edited November 2010
    TroyD wrote: »
    See Al, that's the problem....is lots of people say 'hey, we would love to have this..' but when push comes to shove, crickets.

I'm all for a WC Polkfest...again, the issue is that historically getting people to host has been limited to those of us on the East Coast.

BDT

my current house is too small, but my new house that im getting will be a nice size and prefect for a SoCal PF

and i know Doug (dpowell) said he would host one too in San Diego.
    mole'
  • danger boy
    edited November 2010
    TroyD wrote: »

BDT

Troy, I get that... just that some people place dibs a year or two out on hosting PF.

Seems like there are a few people in the West that wouldn't mind hosting it.

i and others can help out where it's needed to make it happen.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2010
    Al -There have only been TWO official Polkfests...the ones at HQ that you attended. Everything else has been a grassroots event where an individual has stepped up and a group of members have voiced their approval...and it grew from there. Nothing official about it. To my knowledge there has never been 2 competing sites in any given year. Hell...it's hard enough to find ONE person willing to open up their home and go through the effort. There is no rule...official or un-official...that there can only be one PF. Just like the majority of people from the WC can't attend an Eastern or SE event...most here will never be able to attend a WC event. I typically drive and for a weekend...the WC just isn't happening for me. Have a WCPF. I bet Polk would support it as much as they have all the rest. Al has his HUGE marketing budget to spend on such events. Just step up and do it...then see how it shakes out. If you or anyone else on the WC wants a PF in your area…YOU can make it happen.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mole'
    edited November 2010
    shack wrote: »
    Al -There have only been TWO official Polkfests...the ones at HQ that you attended. Everything else has been a grassroots event where an individual has stepped up and a group of members have voiced their approval...and it grew from there. Nothing official about it. To my knowledge there has never been 2 competing sites in any given year. Hell...it's hard enough to find ONE person willing to open up their home and go through the effort. There is no rule...official or un-official...that there can only be one PF. Just like the majority of people from the WC can't attend an Eastern or SE event...most here will never be able to attend a WC event. I typically drive and for a weekend...the WC just isn't happening for me. Have a WCPF. I bet Polk would support it as much as they have all the rest. Al has his HUGE marketing budget to spend on such events. Just step up and do it...then see how it shakes out. If you or anyone else on the WC wants a PF in your area…YOU can make it happen.

thanks for the WC support
    mole'
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2010
    mole' wrote: »
    thanks for the WC support
    Has anyone stated that there can't also be a PF11 on the west coast also? I wouldn't complain unless you're willing to step up.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mole'
    edited November 2010
    Face wrote: »
    Has anyone stated that there can't also be a PF11 on the west coast also? I wouldn't complain unless you're willing to step up.

i was not complaining, so if thats how it came off. SORRY

my current place is way to small, but ill be moving into a new place next year that could do well for this.

but i would love to host one.
    mole'
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited November 2010
    It's clear from this discussion that there are strong feelings about what and where Polkfest is. It's actually given me a greater appreciation and understanding of what the event is really about. I'm in agreement with those that feel there should be one official Polkfest per year to avoid diluting the significance of that event (which I plan to attend some year in the future).

There have been a couple of west coast events this year and there is another event occuring next weekend at my place. It will be great but I'm not calling it a Polkfest for the reasons stated above. While I stand by my offer to host a PF some year in San Diego, I'll respectfully wait for those who are regular attendees of such an event to request the West Coast venue.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • danger boy
    edited November 2010
    mole' wrote: »
    double post man

how much have you had to drink tonight???

apparently not enough.. because you could still read my ramblings :tongue:
  • danger boy
    edited November 2010
    shack wrote: »

you're right man.. no matter what anyone calls it.. there really have only been two PF's. the yearly ones are put on by forum members.

but, whatever it's called from year to year.. it's something a lot of people look forward to.

As is becoming more and more clear to some people is that very few West coast people are able to attend the yearly gatherings. I am pretty sure it would be similar if it was just the opposite location.

I don't want to keep beating a dead and dying horsey.. i've stated my point more than enough.. i'm sure you're all sick of me mouthing the same cry every time.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2010
    Just to be clear, Polk doesn't have an unlimited budget for these events so whoever calls dibs for Polkfest first is more than likely the one who will get sanctioned for that year. If you want to have a WC "Polkfest", rock on but for next year, it's heading to Florida for now. The following year is back in Maryland and after that it's SC as far as I know.
  • mole'
    edited November 2010
    Just to be clear, Polk doesn't have an unlimited budget for these events so whoever calls dibs for Polkfest first is more than likely the one who will get sanctioned for that year. If you want to have a WC "Polkfest", rock on but for next year, it's heading to Florida for now. The following year is back in Maryland and after that it's SC as far as I know.

understood

can i call dibs for a WC (SoCal) after the SC one?
    mole'
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2010
    in a word.

no

RT1--dpowell any chance you can get to a fest over the next three years????
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited November 2010
    in a word.

no

RT1--dpowell any chance you can get to a fest over the next three years????

I'd love to make it to a PF! Might make the trip to Orlando in 2011. I'm sure the wife and kids would want to come and hit Disneyworld but I'll have to see how it goes. Not easy traveling with a teething 1 year old. Already have the go-ahead from the wifey though to attend at some point so if I don't make it this year, I'm planning to shoot for the 2012 in Baltimore.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050