Polkfest 2011 Site?

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2010
    just keep in mind its not LameFest, I got no problem with a WC Fest, but we got standards I tell ya, standards, if you wanna host it would be a good idea to have been to one at a members house, just different than the factory ones.

BDT is in line for 13 already. Most times we talk about the Fests at the Fests if you get what I am saying.

RT1

I am glad that some people are willing to host PF even once.. and thrilled that some volunteer their homes more than that.. i applaud those people who volunteer to host a PF.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice... for once, just one time if PF would come out West. that's all I'm asking.. one time.. then it never has to come West ever again.

I mean.. it's not always easy for us in the West to meet at people homes as you say.. because it never leaves the East coast. Sheesh.. gimme a break.

If the shoe was on the other foot and all PF's were held on the West coast, wouldn't you be a bit peeved that it never was hosted closer to you? You guys in the East dont' really give a rats **** about us in the West.. Ok, I get it.

I also don't care if you all don't think i've not participated in a PF at someones home. I can't freakin afford to travel East coast every year. You all can drive in most cases to each others home ever year. IT's a full days flight to go East coast.. and a full days flight back. I would love to be at a few of the ones that Troy and others have hosted.

I give up. I choose my battles very carefully. Sometimes ideas fall on deaf ears.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    edited November 2010
    just keep in mind its not LameFest,RT1

that was low man. you really disappoint me. I've never felt as unwelcome as I do reading your post.

over 15,000 posts here.. over 10 yrs of my life i've been a part of this forum.. through good and bad. and it comes all down to this. really? wow.. i'm actually numb.

AL
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited November 2010
    Pf 2011 west coast!!!!!!
    mole'
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2010
    Hey Al where were you a month ago when I started to kick the idea I would be happy to host the next PF? After such time people where more then happy to hear Florida was it, and so even by the George Daniel whom started this thread?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited November 2010
    i doubt ill ever make it to a PF.
    mole'
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2010
    mole' wrote: »
    i doubt ill ever make it to a PF.

It means nothing to me if someone comes or not, but to be honest PF is a group of friends whom enjoy music and welcoming new blood is always great. Any one whom enjoys this forum should try to make it where ever it is.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2010
    yea, we hate those damm west coast guys.....sheesh get some whine with that cheese Al.

You want to host come out to a few, do you really think that some guy who has attended 4 or 5 or 6 of these things, been invlovled, brought gear, donated money, participated and now wants to host is going to get in line behind someoe who does not attend them........get real, thats not how it works. Do those things and then we will see. besides you dont know what your talking about, lots of guys fly in to the fests, I drove over 2000 miles, so did Doug and Brock.

So Al if your feeling low, I am sailing right behind, like a bridge over troubled waters.......

oh yea, one more thing, YOU have to stand outside with your undies on your head wailing your arms around while chanting three times SACD is ALIVE......send in a tape of it if you cant make Orlando......then I will personally manage a Go West Polk-Fest Campaign the likes you have never seen in 2014, see it even ryhmes.

Hope you feel better.....nighty night.

San Diego has potential.

RT1
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2010
    Wow,,Mega Ted is loose,, get the women and children off the streets. :wink:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited November 2010
    The world is ending in 2012. It's 2011 or nothing! :p

Anyway, I don't really think that hosting a Polkfest is the production that so many seem to think. I will tell you that it tends to be more expensive than most people let on. The attendees are often insulated from that because the hosts are so gracious as well as Polk Audio itself who kick in a good portion of assistance.

That said, RT1 is absolutely correct. These aren't shindigs where a case of beer, some hot dogs and a Fisher Price record player will suffice. If not for any "standard" that exists but for the fact that you WILL have people traveling across the country, sometimes internationally, for this and they WILL be hanging around for a few days. They will also be spending a good chunk of their hard earned money on a hotel room and such as well. They would be very disappointed if their time, effort and money were wasted and I tend to agree with that 'cause I'd be annoyed as well.

So when relative "unknowns" who showed up a couple months ago get all gung-ho about hosting one, those of us who have either hosted a PF or similarly sized event get leery because, like RT1 said, no one has seen them at these events and barely knows them. They don't want to drop a bunch of coin and take the risk of it being a Suckfest. Believe me, hanging out with friends only gets it so far. If it's ends up being a bunch of monkeys trying to screw a football, nobody wants to hang around.

Except Ricardo...he likes monkeys.

Lou's 'fest went off without a hitch but that wasn't luck. Alot of happening went on behind the scenes to cover small issues that popped up and alot of expense was covered by several people who shall remain unnamed to make sure that things went as smoothly as they did. Those of you who did help, you know who you are and you're the same ones I see helping out every other time as well.

So please, don't think it's hard to host a PF but do know that you need to be on your A game to be the host and you'd better make some friends quick 'cause you will need the help.

Now, about PF on the west coast, Keiko, if you wanna step up, I will gladly help out with a PF on Oahu! :wink:
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2010
    I think all this talk of here or there needs to settle down, I think it's confusing people. It needs to be one place or the other, a main PF and if you wish to support a mini PF go for it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2010
    Okay so it's at Steve's in Orlando 2011-- I'll wait for an "official" thread and pencil in the date--thanks Steve for hosting the next PF,,I mean that sincerely.:smile:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited November 2010
    I VOTE ORLANDO!!!

(if a newb's vote counts) :biggrin:

...and I'd be happy to bring gear for the cause.
    ..... ><////(*>
  • danger boy
    edited November 2010
    yea, we hate those damm west coast guys.....sheesh get some whine with that cheese Al.

You want to host come out to a few, do you really think that some guy who has attended 4 or 5 or 6 of these things, been invlovled, brought gear, donated money, participated and now wants to host is going to get in line behind someoe who does not attend them........get real, thats not how it works. Do those things and then we will see. besides you dont know what your talking about, lots of guys fly in to the fests, I drove over 2000 miles, so did Doug and Brock.

So Al if your feeling low, I am sailing right behind, like a bridge over troubled waters.......

oh yea, one more thing, YOU have to stand outside with your undies on your head wailing your arms around while chanting three times SACD is ALIVE......send in a tape of it if you cant make Orlando......then I will personally manage a Go West Polk-Fest Campaign the likes you have never seen in 2014, see it even ryhmes.

Hope you feel better.....nighty night.

San Diego has potential.

RT1

Ted,

STFU!!

Steve, sorry to bring this personal thing between me and Ted to your thread.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2010
    Ouch!

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited November 2010
    Good on you Steve. I'll try and Help as much as I can when its gets closer.

Nothing like some Southern Hospitality :)

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2010
    Thanks Pauly :smile:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• reeltrouble1
    edited November 2010
    I did not attack you Al you started that, forgive me for expressing my view on Polkfest. I clearly said I had no problem with a WC Fest. I clearly said San Diego has potential. What exactly have you ever done for PolkFest??? As a matter of fact exactly what do you do for this club anymore?

No problem Al, I will shut the **** up because you want me too. Anything else you would like?

Serious as a heart attack.

Ted
  • Pauly
    edited November 2010
    If I had a dollar for every time I bitched to myself because I could not make it to a PF since I have been around I would have eight whole dollars :)

Lets not make this personal. After all, its about PF :)

Orlando will never be the same :)

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2010
    yea your right.

Sorry Al, your a good Polkie and hope PF makes it your way.

Ted
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2010
    Let me weigh in on this, as the host of three PF's....

John, you don't think there is a lot to it? False. Black Bear. There IS a lot to it....not difficult, per se but there is a lot to it. No hard feelings, but I have a bit more experience not just with PF's but we've held some legendary gathering....our annual Christmas party averages 150 attendees but is easier to put on that PF.

As to the West Coast thing.....again, of the three PF's that I've hosted, 2006 and 2009, I got those dates almost by default, in that as long as I'm alive, PF has a home...I didn't really lobby for either of them. So, to say that we are hoarding PF on the East Coast really isn't accurate or fair, IMO. And yes, since this is a mostly private thing, I do think that those who support it most should be given a bit of deference. Ted has probably put more into keeping PF alive than anyone. DJ has been a stalwart too and think he is justified in wanting to host PF.

That's just the way I see it....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited November 2010
    Very nicely said TroyD.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited November 2010
    TroyD wrote: »
    ...but I have a bit more experience not just with PF's but we've held some legendary gathering....our annual Christmas party averages 150 attendees but is easier to put on that PF....

BDT

You assume too much.

And I didn't say there wasn't alot to it. I said I don't think it's the production that some others think it is. There is a good deal of effort that goes in to a Polkfest. It can easily be made more complicated than necessary too. If that's how you want to roll with it, that's fine. But I disagree.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Pauly
    edited November 2010
    Coke and a smile anyone?

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited November 2010
    unsubscribed
    ..... ><////(*>
  • Pauly
    edited November 2010
    fishbones wrote: »
    unsubscribed

Probably a good idea.

Its gonna get closed soon anyway.

See Ya in Orlando Polkies

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2010
    Thanks Troy, I hope to put on a nice PF like you do yourself. :smile:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    You assume too much.

And I didn't say there wasn't alot to it. I said I don't think it's the production that some others think it is. There is a good deal of effort that goes in to a Polkfest. It can easily be made more complicated than necessary too. If that's how you want to roll with it, that's fine. But I disagree.

I really don't care how you roll with it and you are welcome to your opinion....however, I've held three and you have held, hold on......carry the one....equals (looks at calculator shaking his head) zero, I'd say that my opinion in this one case may hold a little more water.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited November 2010
    Ouch. That's gotta sting a bit.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2010
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    It means nothing to me if someone comes or not.....

Great welcoming comment Steve.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2010
    Doro,

It just seemed to me he was a little upset where the PF location was from him. If it's a problem to someone I understand, but also understand everyone is welcome in my book.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer