Bi-Wiring

xlr8
xlr8 Posts: 5
edited February 2002 in Technical/Setup
I have RT800i presently bi-wired. I have never listened to them on single wiring (if you knew the work I'd have to go thru to pull out my amp you would understand) I've heard that single wiring is a better sound. Does not make sense to me. Any comments?
P.S. Just joined the club. Looks very helpful.
Post edited by xlr8 on

Comments

• ChadNott
    ChadNott Posts: 3
    edited February 2002
    when you say bi-wired, do you mean with a seperate line-level input for the sub?
  • xlr8
    edited February 2002
    No sub. Just 2 wire's to each speaker
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    xlr8, welcome to the forum:D

i have had my rt800i's single wired with the standard stock jumpers since i got them a couple months ago, just this week i bi-wired them, i haven't had any chance yet to give them some serious listening, but i am hoping to play with them this weekend, test single vs. bi, and post on the results in my opinion...

hopefully it will be helpful for many that haven't had experience with biwring, and see if it's worth the $...
  • xlr8
    edited February 2002
    Thanks Juice21
    Looking forward to your results. I've also heard that by replacing the stock jumpers with a heavy gage wire's makes an improvement.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    i am planning on testing that theory too... we'll see.
  • BrandonW
    BrandonW Posts: 57
    edited February 2002
    The biggest problem with bi-wiring is setup. Tweaking them are a pain, as you need to have some sort of pink noise test and spl meter to set the gains for the amps. My suggestion is leave the single wire jumper and give it some more power. =)

But lets here from the kids at polk on this one, its always been a mystery for me why one would want to biamp somethign instead of just tossing more power at them.
    Unless of course this bypasses the xover assemblies and u plan on running some sort of active xover, or eq for each speaker terminal, giving you more configuability...even then seems like it would be easier to run it single...

Brandon
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    How are you guys achieving the bi-wire? Are you using speakers a and b to do this, or are you going through seperate amps entirely? I'm very curious!

thanks,
    john
  • smkngstv
    smkngstv Posts: 13
    edited February 2002
    i have the rt1000i and wanted to biwire them, but according to polk this is not possible. in order to do true biwiring you must run one wire to the tweeter and one to the mid,with the rt1000i the mid range and tweeter would run off the top posts and bass from the bottompost this is not true biwiring
    smoking
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    I've heard that's true. Bi-wire is done to seperate mids and highs, not lows and mids/highs. Plus the driver in the top on the 1000s is said to produce LF signals as well (it does....not a whole lot), so the 1000 physically couldn't even seperate lows from highs.
  • Rcman001
    Rcman001 Posts: 1
    edited February 2002
    I have some Rt55i's that i biwired and they sound much better than they did single wired. But to get the optimum effect, you should use heavy guage wire for the woofers and a smaller wire on the tweeters. I have 12-guage for my bass and 18-guage for my treble and it sounds great!
  • sean Bourg
    sean Bourg Posts: 24
    edited February 2002
    Ok here is my .02

I have an OINKER amp ds595 with 800i's. I installed wall jacks and ran speaker wire through the walls under the floor etc...

I used monster cable, 14 gauge 4 wire for my fronts. It's a big cable and I got it at Home depot on clearance.
    I powered the speakers from just the A speaker out on the AMP.

I tried removing the jumper and running a wire to each post being careful to maintain correct phase etc. Sounded great.

I tried running both +'s and both -'s to the speakers bottom set of connections with the jumpers in place.... sounded great.

I tried running to both top and bottom woth the jumpers .... sounded great ...

I tried .....well you get the picture here .... there really wasn't much noticeable sound difference ....

what I ended up doing was running to both sets of jacks on the speakers ...taking the jumpers off and using monster 12 gauge thx wire(left over form rear surrounds) to jump the jacks instaed of the polk jumpers ...only cuz i read on here that it was the thing to do... and i like to fiddle with this stuff.

in my most humble opinion ..unless you are using two amps biwiring doesn't make that much of a difference ... sound quality wise.... but people love to talk about there "bi-wired' systems ...LOL self included ....