mixing subs

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2003 in Custom Fabrication
Why does everyone say not to mix subs sizes? I'm fairly new at this, so don't look at me like I'm crazy. If you were to go about doing this, how would it have to be done? Lets say 4 10" and 1 12" momo, the one with the yellow logo, I don't know model numbers...
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    the main reason is because of how hard it is to get the sound right
    mixing sizes isnt really a bad idea, if you know what youre doing
    ive seen a few SQ(sound quality) competitors with mixed size subs, the reason being they had 10s where the 12s wouldnt fit
    i was able to talk to one of them
    he told me it took him about 16 hours of playing with his equalizer to get it to sound perfect
    but this guy was like hard core SQ
    he told me it usually takes him about 4 hours of playing with an equalizer to get 2 of the same size subs sounding right
    but a 12 is going to have more linear excursion(moves straight out more) than a 10, generally speaking
    a 12 will also go lower than a 10, generally speaking...
    so its just harder to get everything tuned to the right frequencies and such
    its not going to be the end of the world, and if youre just going for "my subs are louder than yours", it doesnt really matter
    strictly an SQ thing, but most of the guys on this forum are SQ, or loud SQ, so youre going to get an SQ respone
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    well i want quality and for it to be loud, ive been playing music since i was in elementry school, so if it doesnt sounds right, it will bug me. as far as the 12 being able to hit lower notes, thats the reason i wanted to add the 12, i was gonna put the 12 in the spare tire area, and 2 10's on either side, kinda making a horseshoe. all sealed, with a ??mdf?? frame, and the top portion fiberglass...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    why not 3 12s?
    or 3 10s?
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    well right now i have 2 1o" GNX's, and i like the definition of them, like the notes they play, but i want a little more low notes, so this the idea i came up with, ive had it for a while...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing