Cheap Sound/Vibration

2»

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    I'm not disputing that, champ. I'm saying that your "reasoning", if you could call it that, is bunk.

Second Skin works. So does Dynamat. So do many other products and they all work on the same principle. Just because Dynamat costs more doesn't mean that the materials cost more. It just means that, like with many things (i.e.: Bose, Monster Cable, JL Audio) you aren't paying for superior performance, you are paying for the name.

Remember kids, stay in school!

You know me so well, I buy things based on names such as polk, jl, and monster. I do absolutely no research on products I buy or regard on how much I spend. You clearly saw that when I bought Dynmat Extreme, it has nothing to do with a promise of an all in one product. Can you "school" me more oh guru of audio, JSta since you know my thought process so well.

Seriously guy, I tried dynamat extreme and I applied, and did a clean install in my old build with dynmat extreme. It did nothing for old build compared to the 3 layers I did with second skin. All the dynmat did was stop the vibrations from the metal. And please don't get too caught up with my finances as I'm more than financially capable to pay for any hobbies I enjoy.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    Welcome to my world.

I've been there my friend, I don't like what the voices tell me!:D:p
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2010
    chu wrote: »
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

unless dynmat extreme comes with ccf and mlv on top of clv then yes it will block out road noise. The most (cost)effective noise barrier for a vehicle to stop road noise is mlv but it need to be decoupled with ccf to be effective.

When I deaden my doors with dynamat extreme almost 2 years ago, road noise was still go in and my music was still blaring out. Now my car is dead silent after I added ccf and mlv to the equation.

And the meaning of road noise to me is noise that is coming outside of the vehicle like tires, traffic, and etc, I don't count noise caused by the a sound system ie: vibrations and rattles as road noise. Yes, if you stop vibrations it will increase spl and etc since that noise isn't competing with your system. Anyways back to class.

Thanks for qualifying your statements.:) BTW what I highlighted in red is exactly what I'm referring to as does the FAQ on the Dynamat website.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2010
    chu wrote: »
    You know me so well, I buy things based on names such as polk, jl, and monster. I do absolutely no research on products I buy or regard on how much I spend. You clearly saw that when I bought Dynmat Extreme, it has nothing to do with a promise of an all in one product. Can you "school" me more oh guru of audio, JSta since you know my thought process so well.

Seriously guy, I tried dynamat extreme and I applied, and did a clean install in my old build with dynmat extreme. It did nothing for old build compared to the 3 layers I did with second skin. All the dynmat did was stop the vibrations from the metal. And please don't get too caught up with my finances as I'm more than financially capable to pay for any hobbies I enjoy.

:rolleyes:
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited September 2010
    PerfectCreature,
    I am currently installing the dynamate extreme. I have all my doors done, both front, and back done, and the back wall. I dont have the floor done as of yet since that will take some time, and will need a friend to help me take all the stuff out etc etc. At any rate, I have noticed that all the rattles are now gone, I do hear some road noise like my tires for sure; I have all terrain tires on my truck so, i get that wha sound a little. Not nearly as much as I did when I did not have it installed, but it is still there a little. I did two layers on every door both ouside (inside), and inside of door. Why? I was trying to quite it down as much as possible. I know from what I have read etc, that all it does is controll the virbation, and plan on putting in somthing thicker like mentioned above inbetween the door.

So, for what it is worth just my two cents, it it working just fine, and is holding up to the Texas heat that we have been haveing here lately. So, so far so good.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited September 2010
    Awesome. Some good input.
    Alright. I may do the second skin since it is really cheap. Unless I can find Dynamat even cheaperl
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • KaosTsoc
    edited September 2010
    Awesome. Some good input.
    Alright. I may do the second skin since it is really cheap. Unless I can find Dynamat even cheaperl

I would go with second skin, since they should be the cheeper option.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited September 2010
    I think I will go with them actually. To be honest.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited September 2010
    I think I will go with them actually. To be honest.

Sweet. Well (I'm sure you have heard this) take your time, measure twice cut once, get a friend to help (makes it so much easier this way). Make sure you clean the surfaces that you are applying this to, try to stay away from dish washing detergent or anything like it, because it has a tendency to leave behind a residue, that does not agree with the adhesive on the second skin, and will not allow it to stick. Use some sort of adhesive remover, or carb cleaner or anything that will help get rid of the glue that the maunfacture uses to hold up there vapor barrier. You will know what I am talking about when you see it. Other than that have fun.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited September 2010
    I will use Goo gone haha. Its great stuff.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • PerfectCreature
    edited September 2010
    The last few posts have been really quick due to lack of time.
    Anyway, I plan on trying to dampen the majority of the car. I will be putting a an exhaust on later this year and it will most likely be loud enopugh to disurb the cabin area.. In that case I will buy a foam layer for my cabin floor. For the doors and the trunk? I will just use secondskin pro. I think 2 or three layers of second skin pro would be more than enough to deaden the doors and the trunk.
    As for the ceiling? I do not think i will bother with that just because I feel it would be way to much of a hassle.
    The firewall....i am not sure how I would do that to be honest...and would prefer to keep my dash in as little pieces as I can....
    Anyone have any input or areas I really should be doing instead of the ones listed above?
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited September 2010
    I would think the trunk for sure (since that is where you sub is, and will cause the most vibration), then I would do the doors. I dont think the floor, and roof will need your attention till later if you think it is necessary to do them. Any other thoughts from the other people here??

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited September 2010
    Yah, usually door and trunk. I don't know how loud my exhaust is going to be yet...hopefully not to loud.
    Any opinions?
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited September 2010
    Well if you going to have loud exhaust, then I would do the trunk priority #1, then the floor. On the floor, I would follow the instructions on the second skin website. You should end up laying down about 2-3 layres down once it is all said and done. Do Damplifier Pro, then Luxury Liner Pro. See how that works. If not then you would add OverKill Pro, or however they say is the best way. I would probably do the trunk the same way. It will help cut out the exhaust sound that the music is going to have to compete with. Or you could always say for get the exhaust all together, and just be plain. LOL.....

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited September 2010
    Well, I just want the looks of dual tips. So I will most likely just get a muffler, and put dual tips. I like a little bit of rumbling so....I will do the trunk first for sure. Then the doors...maybe the floor if I have to...but damn, that is a lot of work....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2