2010 NJ POLKFEST FOOD logistics THREAD

ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,500
Gang,

my plans for Friday are simple, and it will involve alot of grill.....burgers, dogs, chicken, etc.

Saturday I will most likely do some catering action, but before I dial it in, I know some locals offered to bring some food. if you were, can you list it here? Also, if anyone has any odd diet issues for me to try to accommodate, now is the time.

2 things

a) it is not an obligation for anyone to bring anything except a pleasant disposition and a respect for my home

b) I dont want non locals bringing anything period, plane tickets and hotel are enough....it's a tough economy out there kids!

like I said, I am planning ahead, and just don't want too much leftover food. Heck, I got 3 pizza joints around here so we sure as hell aint coming up short in any way shape or form wether tons of locals bring platters out the wazoo or dont bring squat :D
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited August 2010
    No beer?

Beer is food, right? :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2010
    Agree Beer is FOOD.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ohskigod
    edited August 2010
    correct, I forgot to mention that, I really don't drink beer, but i'll have some around in the garage fridge. if you like something you might want to bring some, as I don't see me having the patience of buying 20 different brews :p
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2010
    ohskigod wrote: »
    correct, I forgot to mention that, I really don't drink beer, but i'll have some around in the garage fridge. if you like something you might want to bring some, as I don't see me having the patience of buying 20 different brews :p
    You guys (drinkers) never tought of sharing a KEG? We use to do that for our Xmas parties when I was in the military and that eliminated sooo many problems. Just a tought ;)
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2010
    Gang,

my plans for Friday are simple, and it will involve alot of grill.....burgers, dogs, chicken, etc.

Saturday I will most likely do some catering action, but before I dial it in, I know some locals offered to bring some food. if you were, can you list it here? Also, if anyone has any odd diet issues for me to try to accommodate, now is the time.

2 things

a) it is not an obligation for anyone to bring anything except a pleasant disposition and a respect for my home

b) I dont want non locals bringing anything period, plane tickets and hotel are enough....it's a tough economy out there kids!

like I said, I am planning ahead, and just don't want too much leftover food. Heck, I got 3 pizza joints around here so we sure as hell aint coming up short in any way shape or form wether tons of locals bring platters out the wazoo or dont bring squat :D

Spoken like a true man on a diet mission! Hey I'm down 19:D lbs . . . 269 lbs, I can see my feet again but the jewels are still MIA for viewing!:eek::eek::eek:
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2010
    Lou-

As advertised, I will be bringing a couple of lbs. of BBQ pork ribs, made with my own homemade dry rub and sauce. They're sweet and spicy, and well worth the time they take to prepare (or so I've been told). All you'll need to do is give 'em a quick reheat on the Q or in the oven, and they'll be good to go.
    Obviously I won't have enough to feed everyone, but I'll try to bring enough so that people can at least get one ;), and maybe a couple of lbs. of slaw from my fave deli.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited August 2010
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    You guys (drinkers) never tought of sharing a KEG? We use to do that for our Xmas parties when I was in the military and that eliminated sooo many problems. Just a tought ;)

I already suggested it, but nobody bit. I had a 1/4 keg of Yuengling lager for my little gathering, and had to dump some of it when it got skunky. Made me so sad :(

I think there'd be enough folks at this shindig to polish off a quarter or even a half....
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited August 2010
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Lou-

As advertised, I will be bringing a couple of lbs. of BBQ pork ribs, made with my own homemade dry rub and sauce. They're sweet and spicy, and well worth the time they take to prepare (or so I've been told). All you'll need to do is give 'em a quick reheat on the Q or in the oven, and they'll be good to go.
    Obviously I won't have enough to feed everyone, but I'll try to bring enough so that people can at least get one ;), and maybe a couple of lbs. of slaw from my fave deli.

Hairy, are these the ribs we ate at Sal's? Those we great!
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2010
    nadams wrote: »
    I already suggested it, but nobody bit. I had a 1/4 keg of Yuengling lager for my little gathering, and had to dump some of it when it got skunky. Made me so sad :(

I think there'd be enough folks at this shindig to polish off a quarter or even a half....

If these guys can't polish off two 1/2 kegs at this shindig, I'd say AA got a lot of new members!:eek::D
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited August 2010
    I'm guessing we can do a half at least. We'll just pool resources and pick one up,,

I was planning on Sauseege w/ Peppers and Onions for lunch on Saturday. Catering for dinner would probably be a good idea, as I will probably be quite inebriated by that point. (I'm good on the grill, but even better on the bottle, hehehe...)
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2010
    amulford wrote: »
    I'm guessing we can do a half at least. We'll just pool resources and pick one up,,

I was planning on Sauseege w/ Peppers and Onions for lunch on Saturday. Catering for dinner would probably be a good idea, as I will probably be quite inebriated by that point. (I'm good on the grill, but even better on the bottle, hehehe...)

Ant, if I just take the day trip option I have, I should be there early enough to cut up the peppers and onions. My other option gets me there Friday night so that won't cause a delay in souse chef duties!:D
  • ohskigod
    edited August 2010

wow man, cool. I'll focus on the evening food then. you're a price brotha.

and you? drink? nah!!!! ;)
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited August 2010
    I'm good for some "To Die For" homemade Mac & Cheese & some fresh roast pork for sandmiches!!! Let me know Lou.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2010
    Big Dawg wrote: »
    Hairy, are these the ribs we ate at Sal's? Those we great!

Not exactly, the ones at Sals were pre-cooked, I just added my own sauce while they were cooking.
    The ones headed for Polkfest are 100% mine. Whether they are better or not will be left up to you ;)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited August 2010
    nadams wrote: »

Guys, last I knew, this was handled. Making all these plans like this is going to get confusing. This stuff should get cleared with Lou first.

And personally, I think a keg is a bad idea, Even a 1/4 keg is ALOT of beer and it's only one kind of beer. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone else will. On top of that, once that keg is chilled and tapped, it has to be finished. It also has to be kept cold for 3-4 days. It also has to be returned so if it doesn't get finished it gets tossed. That's a waste.

Also, again, this is NJ. A keg is not really any cheaper than a case of bottles. Maybe $10 at most. It still isn't cheap though and with Lou not being a big beer drinker, I'd hate to make him go cart a keg around and then get stuck with it when everyone went home. Also, if you are out of state and going to get it yourself, bad idea. A keg is not legal for transport in to or out of NJ without a distributors license. You get pulled over with out of state tags and you're going to have a problem.

Bottles and cans have many advantages. Not all of it has to be chilled at once. You can get a huge variety. They are easier to move, store and handle. If not all of it is drank at the party, it can be divided up among everyone in perfectly legal, unopened containers for them to take home with them.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2010
    I've found kegs to be very convenient...primarily because I have a kegerator, but even with the smaller crowd last year we polished off a keg without too much trouble. The PF crowd has been, in my experience pretty much high speed, low drag. If it's out, it gets eaten or drank. Quantity seems to be the main thing...

BTW, I can have TLW send up a couple bottles of Soju....seemed to work pretty good last year. :-)

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ohskigod
    edited August 2010
    TroyD wrote: »
    I've found kegs to be very convenient...primarily because I have a kegerator, but even with the smaller crowd last year we polished off a keg without too much trouble. The PF crowd has been, in my experience pretty much high speed, low drag. If it's out, it gets eaten or drank. Quantity seems to be the main thing...

BTW, I can have TLW send up a couple bottles of Soju....seemed to work pretty good last year. :-)

BDT

while it saddens me that you will not be attending, I am enthralled beyond belief that Soju will also not be in attendance (or I as I call it, Devil's urine)

I'll tell George to give TLW a hug and squeeze from me though :p;)
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited August 2010
    John is correct on the beer, there will be some on hand, not to mention many liquor joints if somehow we run out.

Don't bring large amounts cross border (obvious a 6 pack or a bottle of something you wanna bring for you isnt an issue)
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Jstas
    edited August 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    And I have this case of Bud that I just cant get rid of. I stick it in the fridge, I put it out for the bbq and nobody drinks it. It stays outside all week :eek: and then I put it back inside and two weeks later I put it back in the fridge and then in a cooler and maybe one beer gets drank. So it's not a whole case but I don't like beer.

Yeah...uhhh...you should probably toss that.

• Jstas
    edited August 2010
    Really?, But the cans are sealed. :confused:

But chilling the beer, then letting it slowly warm outside, in the heat and sun and then chilling it again causes the alcohol and other compounds in the beer to break down in to less desirable substances. Essentially, the heat causes the carbonic acid formed from the natural carbonation to react with the alcohol to form esters. Those esters smell bad, like rotten eggs or a skunk, and they don't taste too great either. Budweiser is not the greatest beer to begin with and doing all that to it doesn't do it any favors.

Once you chill beer, or any alcoholic beverage for that matter, you gotta keep it cold. It also has a shelf life and if left too long, the alcohol and acids in the beer react eventually and break down to the esters. If it's a beer without preservatives and such then there is a good chance that there is still some active yeast and/or bacteria that will turn it into a vinegar. In all cases, you end up with skunky beer.

That's also probably why someone drank only one and had no more. They were probably being polite because that beer is likely nasty at this point. I wouldn't even bake/cook with it let alone drink it. Also, skunky beer can make you sick. Especially if it's skunky because of the esters.

• devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited August 2010
    while it saddens me that you will not be attending, I am enthralled beyond belief that Soju will also not be in attendance (or I as I call it, Devil's urine)

I can bring two bottle of SOJU if anyone is interested in finding out what it is...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • ohskigod
    edited August 2010
    I'm good for some "To Die For" homemade Mac & Cheese & some fresh roast pork for sandmiches!!! Let me know Lou.

oh god yes!!!!!

that sounds awesome!!
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited August 2010
    I'll bring grilled chicken.

And I have this case of Bud that I just cant get rid of. I stick it in the fridge, I put it out for the bbq and nobody drinks it. It stays outside all week and then I put it back inside and two weeks later I put it back in the fridge and then in a cooler and maybe one beer gets drank. So it's not a whole case but I don't like beer.

the chicken sounds good

different things like this will make the Italian I get go farther, and it adds variety. a good thing a this seems to be a pretty big turn out.

thanks Sal, you da man
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• hearingimpared
    edited August 2010
    TroyD wrote: »

BDT

I would love to see that happen as we non-drinkers can take bets on who's going to roam the streets this time!:D