Options
13»

Comments

• mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited August 2010
    Options
    AKS wrote: »
    I haven't visited this thread for awhile. I wondered if anyone knew of a database or resource for easily determining what type of audio is available for games. I'm getting sick of scouring the net every time a new game shows up, especially when a lot of games incorrectly display a game's actual available audio. With games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and Red Dead Redemption on PS3, my display on my receiver says 7.1, but my rear surrounds do not produce any sound. I'd like to just know what's available in the first place, but other than Naughty Dog's awesome in-game audio detection and adjustment system, most don't tell you much about the audio.

This is because the PS3 is constantly feeding your AVR a 7.1 LPCM stream even when the game is only designed for 5.1. This is an unfortunate design on the PS3 while using LPCM because it will block some AVRs from applying matrixed surround to the surround back speakers.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I always liked the realistic weaponry sounds in the COD series. Especially the first two on PC.

I don't have any surround setup at all, so naturally, I only play my games in 2ch.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mutelight wrote: »
    This is because the PS3 is constantly feeding your AVR a 7.1 LPCM stream even when the game is only designed for 5.1. This is an unfortunate design on the PS3 while using LPCM because it will block some AVRs from applying matrixed surround to the surround back speakers.

I believe this is also the case with the 360 with 5.1 dolby digital(I don't have HDMI hookup for 7.1 but I don't think 360 does 7.1 anyway, anyone confirm that?). What I mean though, my AVR will always show DD even though I am playing stereo music. The only way I can use different AVR matrixes is if I shut off dolby digital in the xbox 360 settings.

A minor nuisance and not exactly the same problem you guys have, but this is something even the original xbox didn't do.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ditto on what tboy said, I'm thinking you can change settings in the AVR menu to matrix to the back surrounds when using the XBOX 360. When playing the PS3, I'm going to have to check to see if I'm actually getting channel separation in the back surrounds.
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited August 2010
    Options
    tommyboy wrote: »
    I believe this is also the case with the 360 with 5.1 dolby digital(I don't have HDMI hookup for 7.1 but I don't think 360 does 7.1 anyway, anyone confirm that?). What I mean though, my AVR will always show DD even though I am playing stereo music. The only way I can use different AVR matrixes is if I shut off dolby digital in the xbox 360 settings.

A minor nuisance and not exactly the same problem you guys have, but this is something even the original xbox didn't do.

The 360 is restricted to 2 channel and 5.1 Dolby Digital (DTS in movies only) output via HDMI.

If you have your 360 set to output Dolby Digital, it will always use that stream, even when playing back music. So essentially if you have a high quality audio file playing, the 360 will transcode that file to Dolby Digital before sending it to your receiver.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • Sinister184
    Sinister184 Posts: 14
    edited August 2010
    Options
    anything with gunfire coming through the surrounds