The Best amp for SR124dvc's?(Budget $350)

Marvelous Marv
Marvelous Marv Posts: 33
edited August 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I need another amp.Im looking for SQ.The one I currently have is too powerful...It's a Hifonics Bzr 1700.1.It's new and never been remove from plastic,wired,or bolted in a car but the box has been open.I wanna sell it.Im open to suggestions.Aq,Alpine....budget is under $350 US.Thanks:)
Post edited by Marvelous Marv on

Comments

• Marvelous Marv
    edited August 2010
    Someone help please?I don't wanna blow them ,but i still want to get an quality amp...SOMEONE LOL :(!
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited August 2010
    Adcom 555
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited August 2010
    danz1906 wrote: »
    Adcom 555

Lol...an Adcom 555 in the car?
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited August 2010
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    Lol...an Adcom 555 in the car?

oops!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • Marvelous Marv
    edited August 2010
    danz1906 wrote: »
    Adcom 555
    Wth is that?lol...
  • Marvelous Marv
    edited August 2010
    DSkip wrote: »
    Don't worry about it :)

If your current amp is putting out 1700 RMS, then what is your issue with using it on the SR subs?
    Im putting them in a sealed box and don't wanna over do it.Was reading on here about the lead wire breaking easily...:eek:.Im just trying to avoid problems by not over doing it.
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited August 2010
    Just keep the gain down....and don't use bass boost.
    That will limit how sensitive your sub is to the watts, and the bass boost will keep it from getting to loud.
    So you can safely enjoy blissful SQ....
    Chances are anyway that amp does not put out 1700 RMS watts to that sub woofer.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • Marvelous Marv
    edited August 2010
    Just keep the gain down....and don't use bass boost.
    That will limit how sensitive your sub is to the watts, and the bass boost will keep it from getting to loud.
    So you can safely enjoy blissful SQ....
    Chances are anyway that amp does not put out 1700 RMS watts to that sub woofer.
    It does down to 1ohm.That's how im hooking up the dvc's.
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited August 2010
    It does down to 1ohm.That's how im hooking up the dvc's.

I really doubt that. No disrespect indended, please. The reason I say that is because, in a perfect setting yes it would produce that much power.. However..... You are not taking into account that your vehicle is not a perfect setting. I mean when you run your A/C or heater, head lights etc you are taking away from the amp power, and thus the amp is not producing all of 1700 watts more like 1500 watts or something like that. Not only that but, most amps at there best are only about 70% efficient, and the lower you drop the ohm load the less efficient they become so, instead of 70% at 4 ohm, you would drop to like 60%-65% efficiency. So, yeah I dont think that, that amp is going to produce that much power. You would have to have the perfect setting in order to produce that power. Like no other electrical loads what so ever. Something to ponder.....

And I also agree with a perfectcreature on the bass boost, and the gains. In order to set you gains correctly you need to find out how many volts you HU is putting out of the RCA's. You then need to set your amp to this so that when you play you HU at the desired volume, your amp is doing the same. As for bass boost you would only us that in a ported or bandpass box. Not to be used for a sealed box, plus a sub in sealed box can handle more power than a ported or bandpass box. This has to do with the free air movement. A sealed box is kind of like a spring behind the speaker, it give the speark resistance, and prevents the speaker from being over pushed, past the xmax of the speaker. Where a ported, or bandpass does not, and there is nothing to controll the xmax as much, and thus if you put a high powered amp on it, it would blow it. So, if you go with a ported box, then down sizing the amp power would be fine.

thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Much like what was said.
    Your amp, well...any amp rather hardly ever produces what is is rated for. To many factors come into play.
    Anyway, your sub woofer will be fine. If you want best SQ put it in a sealed box, bolt it to your trunk. Set your amp up. Turn your receiver a little over 3/4s....
    Say your receiver volume is 60? Turn it to about 48 or so...then turn the bass boost off. Turn the frequency controls off. Turn the gain to the volts of your receiver then slowly turn it up until you hear distortion or your sub become inaccurate or sounds odd. Back off the gain turn it down a bit. NOW. Turn your frequency stuff to where you want it....and RE TUNE....turn the gain up a little see if it distorts it does, turn it back down if not, turn it up until it does.
    Wait a week or so....if it is new, past the break in period and re tune.
    I would not recommend bass boosting more than 3-6 DB if you value your sub woofer. It takes twice the power to raise a sound a few decibel...just letting you know.
    Also....you better have a damn good alternator and a spare battery....if you are pushing 1700RMS along with all your other electrical stuff and God forbid another amp.

If you want a new amp...try to find an amp pushing around 800 RMS and Class D will not sound as nice in some cases but they favor your car system, and most times the distortion is hardly audible.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    The vote is this. Keep your amp. Tune it right and just don't worry about it.
    What is the point of selling an amp just do downgrade, unless your case is like mine being the car can't handle the power demands....
    Anyway, if you car can handle it why go through the hassle?
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    I agree as well.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Marvelous Marv
    edited August 2010
    You all made great points,and i agree in all...But PerfectCreature hit it right on the money.Its the power demand on the car.Im going to have two amps the Hifonics 1700.1,and eclipse ea4200 60*4(switching this a Alpine PDX-F4 or Hifonics Zeus ZXi80.4).the HU im planning to get the alpine 105,but the type of HU PerfectCreature describe i would need a lot much features than this offers?:confused:.Polk Audio db comps ,db691's or other suggestions.As far as wire,batteries brands to go with and where to buy from am lost again...lol.The alt is 105 and looking for a 140 or 200 amp,or could i just add anther battery instead of going up to the 200amp alt?oh yea 0/1 gauge all around:D.Sorry but you guys are very helpful and im not trying to be annoying.Thanks again.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    You all made great points,and i agree in all...But PerfectCreature hit it right on the money.Its the power demand on the car.Im going to have two amps the Hifonics 1700.1,and eclipse ea4200 60*4(switching this a Alpine PDX-F4 or Hifonics Zeus ZXi80.4).the HU im planning to get the alpine 105,but the type of HU PerfectCreature describe i would need a lot much features than this offers?:confused:.Polk Audio db comps ,db691's or other suggestions.As far as wire,batteries brands to go with and where to buy from am lost again...lol.The alt is 105 and looking for a 140 or 200 amp,or could i just add anther battery instead of going up to the 200amp alt?oh yea 0/1 gauge all around:D.Sorry but you guys are very helpful and im not trying to be annoying.Thanks again.

Ok. 0/1 awg is just fine. You could also do 4 or 2 awg as well. You need to do the big 3 upgrade as well. You could do a second batter, and if you take that route I would suggest an isolator so you dont drain the front battery, would also need an alt that would produce at least 140 amps. I mean you could get away with what you have for now, but an upgrade would be a good idea. Also would need to invest in at least one deep cycle battery as well. My rule of thumb is you dont want to risk any of your electircal. So, you are going to want to take the time to get that right.

You know what go to the kenitic battery website, and give them a call. There is a guy by the name of david that will call you back, and would help you out alot. He knows batteries, and has helped me alot.

Thanks
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Marvelous Marv
    edited August 2010
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    Ok. 0/1 awg is just fine. You could also do 4 or 2 awg as well. You need to do the big 3 upgrade as well. You could do a second batter, and if you take that route I would suggest an isolator so you dont drain the front battery, would also need an alt that would produce at least 140 amps. I mean you could get away with what you have for now, but an upgrade would be a good idea. Also would need to invest in at least one deep cycle battery as well. My rule of thumb is you dont want to risk any of your electircal. So, you are going to want to take the time to get that right.

You know what go to the kenitic battery website, and give them a call. There is a guy by the name of david that will call you back, and would help you out alot. He knows batteries, and has helped me alot.

Thanks
    ok thanks KaosTsoc.But what brand wire to go with?
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Kicker, JL, Rockford Fosgate....they all make good wire. I use Kicker wire, just because I got a good deal on amazon.
    I would upgrade your car before I went out and bought wire. Wire is pricey....and what is the point of having all that wire and not using it.
    as for amps. Drop the extra cash and get the Alpine PDX amps they have a VERY small electrical footprint...from what I hear,.....
    Anyway...
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited August 2010
    How much amperage that amp needs from your alt/battery?

Class d amps are extremely efficient 90+%, and I would vote to keep that hifonics amp. And amps can never be too powerful for any sub, it all depends on the install. If you're sealing the sr, the sr would love that extra headroom.