Replacing tweeter in CSi40

Options
Terrax
Terrax Posts: 483
edited December 2003 in Speakers
Hey peeps,

I would like to get some feedback on replacing the tweeter in a CSi40 with ether a Vifa or Scan Speak tweeter. And yeah, I know there would be some possible matching issues with my 150's in regard to the upper limits, and some may ask, why would I even want to do this. Well, the reason is hmmm...... um....... I'm a tweaker, I like making things better. lol Hopefully better anyway. Ok, as for feedback, I quess what I would like to hear is, what all would I need to take into account? Other than the more obvious like size and stuff. I'm thinking crossover points, actual material the replacement is made of, complications, in general, aspects I might miss.

Terry
Post edited by Terrax on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Terrax,

Know you've been around here to read many times that the first concern is the "new" tweet's performance with the cross-over in the i40. So I'm guessing you're determined to try one or more replacements (kinda the definition of a "tweaker").

So try a couple... you can always go back.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Just a note of caution from a guy who's done a bit of DIY speaker-building: I'm all for tweaking and experimenting, but it's unlikely that you will improve upon the design simply by swapping in a different tweeter. The crossover is everything, really, and there are too many variables that change when you swap drivers. It'd just be a shot in the dark, without measuring equipment.

Especially if you're thinking of spending the $$$ for Scan-Speak, I'd have to say it's not worth it unless you're willing (and able) to measure the mid woofers and re-design the whole crossover.

A better tweak might be to upgrade crossover components.

Just my opinion!
    Good luck,
    Jason
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input. What I hope to find is a replacement I can match as close as possible to the stock spec's.