Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2010
    6 Plats, 1 Jensen.

Thanks!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2010
    Geez Mike that looks awesome! How did you get into all those little spaces with a soldering gun without melting components and wire insulation?

Is it a wonder I want to you about the RTR updates and refreshing? Hehehe.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited July 2010
    Face wrote: »
    6 Plats, 1 Jensen.

Thanks!

Jensen or Jantzen? Either way, looks like great work.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Face
    edited July 2010
    FYI, it's a Mapletree Line 2A. All that's left from stock are the tube sockets, chassis, wire, and a couple of RCA jacks. I'll upgrade the tube sockets and the rest of the RCA jacks in the next month or two.
    Geez Mike that looks awesome! How did you get into all those little spaces with a soldering gun without melting components and wire insulation?

Is it a wonder I want to you about the RTR updates and refreshing? Hehehe.
    It took more patience than I thought I had. :D Also, both the orange and clear insulation is Teflon, so it doesn't burn easily.
    billbillw wrote: »
    Jensen or Jantzen? Either way, looks like great work.
    Thanks and the company is Jensen: https://audio.jensencapacitors.com/products/
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • billbillw
    edited July 2010
    Thanks and the company is Jensen: https://audio.jensencapacitors.com/products/

Yeah, I knew the both made caps. I just thought from the photo they looked a lot like the Jantzen crosscaps (same colors, fonts, etc). Both are Dannish companies too.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited July 2010
    Very nice Mike!!.

I went to the Mapletree website.............no prices? The std model with Auricaps looks great, except the knobs. What is the cost of the std unit w/PS?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited July 2010
    Wouldn't the Mappletree and Monarchy SM70 make a fabulous combo for an office rig?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Face
    edited July 2010
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Very nice Mike!!.

I went to the Mapletree website.............no prices? The std model with Auricaps looks great, except the knobs. What is the cost of the std unit w/PS?

H9
    http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/prices.htm

The knobs I used are Audio Note from PartsConnexion.

I can't see why it wouldn't work well with your SM70.
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited August 2010
    Took my Dodd ELP apart to troubleshoot a L/R issue figured I'd take a few shots while I was at it (I'll post my findings in a different thread):

CIMG8128.jpg

eab780be.jpg

b2fcb926.jpg

3252c8dc.jpg

29ea69f5.jpg

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2010
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    Took my Dodd ELP apart to troubleshoot a L/R issue figured I'd take a few shots while I was at it (I'll post my findings in a different thread):

CIMG8128.jpg

eab780be.jpg

b2fcb926.jpg

3252c8dc.jpg

29ea69f5.jpg

Beautiful! Oh simplicity how I love thee!:)
  • mmadden28
    edited August 2010
    Beautiful! Oh simplicity how I love thee!:)

I thought it was pretty simple too until I saw the point to point wiring from the tube sockets on the underside of the board. I guess its still pretty simple relatively speaking of course.

I would have taken a pic of the underside too, but I couldn't figure out how to do it (I tried for about an hour and then gave up). I was only able to just barely lift the board up enough to peek and or see through the board with a flashlight.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • Face
    edited August 2010
    You have to de-solder some wires, it's a PITA.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2010
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited August 2010
    Just found some pics of the guts of my old Peachtree Nova:

4878935067_c0969649c6.jpg

4878934991_19824ce012.jpg

4878935011_24b413a403_z.jpg
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• mmadden28
    edited August 2010
    You have to de-solder some wires, it's a PITA.

I figured I at least have to desolder the copper pipe, but my solder iron was't hot enough--anyway I did resolder a couple concerns on top, but I have a couple other issues that need to be fixed, including a toastly looking resistor, so I'll have to get that board out somehow--Anyway enough with my derail--I'm posting all about that in another thread (as soon as I get some time to do it) :o

• Face
    edited August 2010
    Inside of the Zune HD 32.
    ZUNE%20HD%2032.jpg

Inside the back cover.
    ZUNE%20HD%20Back%20Cover.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2010
    Zitro wrote: »
    I just recently had both my NAD and Sansui open recently; wish I would have seen this thread earlier and taken pics. The Sansui is just a monster inside (I've never seen such large caps before) and the NAD has a massive toroidal for being rated at 50wpc.

Cool thread, keep the pics coming!

I had to take the top off this yard sale find today and look for a blown fuse.I accidently touched the speaker wires together...DUH..
    I found a blown one and replaced it but took these photos to see if any veterans can tell what brand it is.:D I'll chime in later. By the way, this amp REALLY sounds fantastic.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2010
    Here's the same amp with more pics. I'm glad I found this thread because it shows it's a common ground unit. I'll hook up my sda-crs's tomorrow.:)

Such a hollow inside and it supposed to be powerful. Well it did continue to play music for about 30-45 seconds AFTER I turned the amp off.
    I thought it had a bad switch..

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103884&highlight=common+ground
  • billbillw
    edited August 2010
    Here's the same amp with more pics. I'm glad I found this thread because it shows it's a common ground unit. I'll hook up my sda-crs's tomorrow.:)

Such a hollow inside and it supposed to be powerful. Well it did continue to play music for about 30-45 seconds AFTER I turned the amp off.
    I thought it had a bad switch..

No problem with yours playing after turnoff. They don't have any speaker protection relays, so it plays until the caps deplete. I knew it was an A250 as soon as I saw your pix above. Acurus just uses a simpler is better approach.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2010
    When I saw you had taken pictures of yours, I knew at least you would recognize the empty space and 2 huge caps in the back. I timed it today and it took about 40 seconds to bleed down.:D

I'm going to hang on to this and play with different set-ups over the next few years.;)

It does the sda-crs's justice too. It reminds me of my Sunfire amps sound.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2010
    Found this little guy at the dump a few weeks ago -- on the scrap metal pile! :-o
    Haven't yet had the chutzpah to put it on a variac yet. Tubes are all original (EICO brand Mullards, Amperex 5AR4 and US 7591s) except one 7591. (EDIT: I guess the 5AR4 might also be a replacement, come to think of it)

ST40frontsanstop.jpg

I may have mentioned that I love the dump; it's a magical place!

Kenwood KA-7100 (also a dump find, but several years back), recently donated to a friend at AK.

KA7100toppish.jpg
    KA7100frontal.jpg
    P6280009.jpg
    P6280011.jpg

It doesn't look like I posted these here before; my apologies if I did.
  • Face
    edited August 2010
    Ok, who ruined the title?
  • heiney9
    edited August 2010

PC Police, they're everywhere.

The PC police
    They live inside of my head
    The PC police
    They come to me in my bed
    The PC police
    They're coming to arrest me
    Oh no

You know that talk is cheap
    And rumors ain't nice
    And when I fall asleep
    I don't think I'll survive

The night the night

'Cause they're waiting for me
    Looking for me
    Every single night
    (They're) driving me insane
    Those men inside my brain

The PC police
    The PC police
    They come to me in my bed

The PC police
    Oh no

Well I don't tell lies
    'Cause they're listening to me
    And when I fall asleep
    Bet they're spying on me tonight,
    Tonight

Looking for me
    Every single night

I try to sleep
    They're wide awake
    They won't let me alone
    They don't get paid to take vacations
    Or let me alone
    They spy on me
    I try to hide
    They won't let me alone
    They persecute me
    They're the judge and jury all in one

Looking for me
    Every single night

The PC police
    The PC police they come
    to me in my bed

The PC police

The PC police (police, police)
    The PC police (police, police)

Great song by the way...........anyone know who this is?

H9

P.s. BTW, to the Mods just having a little lyrical fun.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2010
    Posting those lyrics was a Cheap Trick, H9 ;-)
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2010

LOL! I noticed that too. I thought it was only a matter of time.

You know I'm no prude but everytime I saw that title I always thought it quite crude and it always gave me tingling mind visual!!! I guess I'm becoming more gentil in my old age! UGH!
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited August 2010
    Lux Precision means no Toobs in there! :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=51332&stc=1&d=1282119373
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Janne
    Janne Posts: 139
    edited August 2010
    50 kg amp. Where is the lead?
    HT/2 CH
    McIntosh MX120, MC500, MC206, MEN220
    polkaudio SDA SRS 1.2TL, XO, Inductor, Tweeter, Larry's rings, WBT Binding posts, Moretite and Dynamat mod. Built by Mollie Jones 27:th of February 1991, CS350-LS XO mod, LS-f/x, DSW MicroPro 4000
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 Bi-wire SC, Shotgun S3.3 SC, Shotgun S3.3 Proline IC, Shotgun S3.3 IC, Shotgun S3.3 Sub cable, AVT 1 Optical IC, EXP 3 Speaker interconnect.
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited August 2010
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

Sweet looking gear!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited September 2010
    Analog volume pots (attenuator) you wish you have!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2010
    Those are gorgeoous.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.