you are wanting 2 subs right?
  • TAREKFOUAD1
    TAREKFOUAD1 Posts: 8
    edited August 2010
    yes if its ok for the amp
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited August 2010
    simple if you want one sub get a single 4 ohm if you want two get dual 4 0hm wire each sub parallel into a 2 ohm load then wire those in series back into a 4 ohm load. If you like good tight bass and don't want to wake up the people 4 blocks away I would go with dual 10's.
  • zarrdoss
    edited August 2010
    actually it would be simpler if you series wired each one into a 8 ohm load then parallel wired both back down to a 4 ohm load.
  • zarrdoss
    edited August 2010
  • TAREKFOUAD1
    edited August 2010
    thx Zarrdoss for your help
    my feed back coming soon
  • zarrdoss
    edited August 2010
    10's will also be a better match for what your amp puts out
  • TAREKFOUAD1
    edited August 2010
    am thinking about 1 15-Inch MM1540 singel voice 425w rms @4ohm.
    do you think the sound better? louder? good response?
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited August 2010
    a 15 would dig deeper, but not necessarily louder.
  • TAREKFOUAD1
    edited August 2010
    Finally i got new amp

AUDIOPIPE AP15001D 1500W MONO D

600x1 rms @4ohm
    950x1 rms @2ohm
    1500x1 rms @1ohm

So am planing to get 2 Polk Audio MM1240 SVC wiring 2ohm 950 to them do you think sound will be better?

Thx again
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited August 2010
    Why not get two Polk DVC SR 12s....wire them down to 2 ohms on each sub them it would be wired down to 1 ohm together. Giving 750 (50 over max RMS) to each subwoofer. It would be enough to knock the bumper off the car behind you and in front of you. Plus it would sound astounding while doing it....
    A bit pricey....but you can have them (grey market) for fairly cheap.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • TAREKFOUAD1
    edited September 2010
    Why not get two Polk DVC SR 12s....wire them down to 2 ohms on each sub them it would be wired down to 1 ohm together. Giving 750 (50 over max RMS) to each subwoofer. It would be enough to knock the bumper off the car behind you and in front of you. Plus it would sound astounding while doing it....
    A bit pricey....but you can have them (grey market) for fairly cheap.

Thx PerfectCreature but i dont like to go that way.
    1ohm is 2 loud for me i like SQ not SPL.and the subs is 2 pricey for me maybe i can get one sr12 sub and wire it 2ohm but do you think sound for one sub is good or back to 2x mm12 better? my budget is 300$ max for the subs.
  • PerfectCreature
    edited September 2010
    That one SR will do tons of damage. It will also sound much better than the MMs....how much I do not know but I am only going by what I have been told.
    Anyway. The SR is like the cream of the crop when it comes to sound quality subs from polk. 2 subwoofers are going to be much louder than one subwoofer.
    If you want sound quality and not a lot of bass. Buy the SR 12 build a sealed box for it and wire it a 2 ohms. It will be enough shake your car and it will sound amazing while doing so. It will sound much better than the MM.

Anyway. DOn't get me wrong the MM line will sound fine as well. But if you get two subs, they will by nature be louder because they move more air; they have more cone area.
    Just ask around. Look up reviews, check youtube...not 100% accurate...or even 75% accurate but it is something to go by.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you are truly more about SQ than SQL or SPL, then a single SR124 should be all you would ever need. I see no benefit for getting 2 lesser subs instead of 1 stellar sub.

I concur with this statement. But if you were to go with two subs more power is better, but the stress and heat on the amp is a major downsize imo.

The more power you feed your sub(s), the more detail your notes will sound. The loudness of your sub stage will be louder, however not by much but noticeable.
  • Drake Rogers
    Drake Rogers Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    actually it would be simpler if you series wired each one into a 8 ohm load then parallel wired both back down to a 4 ohm load.

Yeah, I just got my 2 12" Kicker Comps not expecting anything loud enough to wake up my neighbors. I was sadly mistaken.
  • Drake Rogers
    Drake Rogers Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    simple if you want one sub get a single 4 ohm if you want two get dual 4 0hm wire each sub parallel into a 2 ohm load then wire those in series back into a 4 ohm load. If you like good tight bass and don't want to wake up the people 4 blocks away I would go with dual 10's.

Yeah, I just got my 2 12" Kicker Comps not expecting it to wake up anything. I was sadly mistaken.
  • docjl
    docjl Posts: 41
    edited October 2010
    I've got a single SR124 DVC, wired for a 2 ohm load in a custom 1.2 cu ft sealed box in my tire well, with a Boston Acoustics amp putting out 800w RMS at 2 ohms.

I can vouch for this being more than enough sub for any car, especially if you want quality over quantity! although when turned up, it makes plenty of quantity!

my installer had no experience with Polk subs, he actually told me it sounded better and louder than many of the double 12 installs he's seen with cheaper subs
  • PerfectCreature
    edited October 2010
    Most of us will steer you towards the SR12 just because it is a Goliath when compared to other subs on the same terms.
    However, do as you wish since YOU are the one who is listening to it and not us.
    Just remember that.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • mtbeck
    mtbeck Posts: 24
    edited November 2010
    I have used alpine type Rs with good luck in a sealed enclosure (can be had for cheap). Honestly one 10 or 12 in a car if it is powered right can be more than enough for anything but spl IMO
  • evil ryu
    evil ryu Posts: 41
    edited November 2010
    mtbeck wrote: »
    I have used alpine type Rs with good luck in a sealed enclosure (can be had for cheap). Honestly one 10 or 12 in a car if it is powered right can be more than enough for anything but spl IMO

also in the right enclosure.

if you have the room, a properly tuned ported enclosure will OWN a sealed enclosure, using the same sub or subs.

i had a JL Audio 10W7 in a sealed enclosure (jl specs), then in a custom ported enclosure (close to jl specs, friend used box software) and it sounded like i had 3 of them in there!! SQ was accurate, and i didn't have to use any bass boost or set the gains high as i had to do with the sealed enclosure. it also hit the lows A LOT better.
  • johnsonrik
    johnsonrik Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    :smile::smile::smile: hello everyone,
    Generally speaking the placement of your subwoofer is irrelevant, because low frequencies are non-directional and therefore unlike high frequencies that need to be 'directed'. Usually people just hide the subwoofer behind a couch or on the side.
    Cheap Used Cars
    Corners are sometimes favoured as they reflect the sound waves and make it a bit stronger, but as a general rule of thumb, it really doesnt mattter where you put a sub. Just place it where is convenient and where you have space and the sound will be almost identical no matter where that is in the room!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2010
    Clever. Spam disguised as a legit post. Reported. :rolleyes:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D