Best way to mount amp?!

PerfectCreature
PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
edited August 2010 in Custom Fabrication
I was wondering on the best way to mount an amp so that is is a clean look.
I was thinking on mounting it between my two 6x9s...the amp is rather small, I ended up going with Kicker ZX200.4 it suited my needs much better. I can give 50 RMS to my backs by wiring those in parallel, and then my fronts can have a happy 35...only 10 more than they can handle...so it works out nice.
I plan to include a sub-woofer in a few weeks to a month after my car passes inspection.
Anyway, I can't figure out which would be the best way to mount the amp.
(1)I was thinking either on my side walls of the trunk where the tire hump is.
(2)Maybe where my 6x9s are. (I am leaning towards this one the most)
(3)On the floor towards the back...or on my spare tire board...
(4)Or on my seat...but I didn't find much to screw into....

I plan on doing this tomorrow morning.... (5)I am up for fabrication if that is a better option....

What do you guys think?
Have any different ideas?
I have includes pics.

Left Side

DSC00425.jpg

Right

DSC00426.jpg

My back seat....

DSC00427.jpg

My 6x9s sit....
DSC00428.jpg

(The box you see are my old sub-woofer that I will be selling in a few weeks so that I can upgrade)
Receiver
Harman Kardon HK 3490
Speakers
Polk Audio Monitor 50s
Subwoofer
Klipsch KSW-100
Cables
AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
PS4
Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
Post edited by PerfectCreature on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited August 2010
    Wherever you put it, make sure it's within the 3 feet (or less) of a bolt for the ground cable so you can keep that clean look once it's all wired up.

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Definatley...I may move the grounding bolt...It really depends on where I mount it...
    I mean, I was asking for some advice from some people that have done it...
    I mean, I want it to look clean, and be able to mount by subwoofer to my trunk as well....
    I was kind of thinking 6x9s area....but didn't know if that would be a safe bet?
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • kawizx9r
    edited August 2010
    Don't know how hot it gets over there but, have you thought about mounting it in the vehicle?

I had my amp in the trunk but after 3 different camping trips I relocated it underneath my passenger seat in my Focus. All wires run under the carpet so you wouldn't even know it's there!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Can't take the seats out the bolts are all rusted. I was unaware when I bought the car that the people took horrible care of this car. If I was aware of all the troubles it had, I would have stayed away...far away....anyhow. Its up to par now...for the most part....
    S0 the trunk is kind of the only mounting option....I have tried to think of some clever ways that did not cost bunches of cash....

Never tops 90 F but it usually goes well below 10-30 Below Zero at night during winter.....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • kawizx9r
    edited August 2010
    If you go in the 6x9 area, will you be putting anything between the amp+vehicle itself? I wouldn't want to bolt it directly to the vehicle...I don't know just wouldn't feel right.

If I were you, I'd personally mount it on either the left or right side of the vehicle and keep the sub close to that side of the trunk cause I'd like to keep the speaker wire hidden as well (I used an extra MIT Terminator cable I had laying around).
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Hmmm....good call...I had not thought about that....I was just gunna screw the amp right there...I was going to use like tech flex to cover all the cables and like zip tie them to the top....as you can see there are seveal spots to zip tie to..
    What would you suggest I put between the two?

Also would I just screw the amp right into the wheel well? Should I put a board or something between it? Use like so sealing spacers or something?
    Thanks....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    I have researched my amp, called kicker, and it turns out if I mounted it upside down...I would eventually fry my amp.
    Yep...so, I have mounted it on my sub box for now....until I plan something more exiting...
    The amp is installed and running, had some set backs...and will retune tomorrow morning and let you guys know how it sounds....
    I will post pics in the "Install thread or whatever"
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • kawizx9r
    edited August 2010
    I have researched my amp, called kicker, and it turns out if I mounted it upside down...I would eventually fry my amp.
    Yep...so, I have mounted it on my sub box for now....until I plan something more exiting...
    The amp is installed and running, had some set backs...and will retune tomorrow morning and let you guys know how it sounds....
    I will post pics in the "Install thread or whatever"

Fry the amp huh? Didn't think you could do it by mounting it such a way, GOOD THING YOU CALLED!

Can't wait til you post those pics! I'm getting rid of my Ford Focus ZX3 SE since I'm getting this PT Cruiser GT (2.4ltr turbo) so I'll want to install a new system in there. I should focus a bit more on car audio....hmm;)
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Yah, because of the heat sinks are, kicker said that the heat will radiate up and kind of make like a heat blanket that will linger around the components.
    They said, always mount and amp so that you can see the light badge....
    Anyway, I just have to tidy up the cables, shorten the grounds at some points and it's good to go.
    Pics will be soon.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited August 2010
    Yah, because of the heat sinks are, kicker said that the heat will radiate up and kind of make like a heat blanket that will linger around the components.
    They said, always mount and amp so that you can see the light badge....
    Anyway, I just have to tidy up the cables, shorten the grounds at some points and it's good to go.
    Pics will be soon.

I am a little suprised that while you were doing your research on an amp to choose, that you did not notice that they say to not mount the amp upside down due to buring up the amp alot faster. Also another thing about your amp is you do not want to mount it to your sub box either. The reason for this is; as you sub hits, your amp is going to get all that vibration, and thus after a while it will shake some of the interal workings lose, thus reducing the longevity of the amp.

Do you have a spare tire in trunk under the carpet?? If you dont that is a good place to look at as well. If you are worried about the amp not getting enough ventilation you can always make a plate out of MDF to fit the hole, and put like a vent hole so that the heat can go somewhere other than where it is. Or better yet instead of cutting just a hole you could always cut out a hole to put like a computer fan there ( do not cover it up with sub box), and have it blowing the hot air up, and out.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    True. I bought some particleboard and will be placing that under the rug, kind of gluing it to the trunk perhaps. I plan on mounting both amps to the board, I do have a place where my spare tire is...but it is a mess down there lots of glue, and foam and some rust as well for some odd reason.
    Um, I plan on organizing the wires on the board I just have to draw up a diagram and saw the board out.
    I have to shorten my ground wires on account of a ground loop.... Hopefully shorter ground wires will help, if not I will need an ground loop filter.
    On top of that my receiver does not really put out the volts for a 4 channel amp I guess....it puts out 2v when I guess I need 4v or higher to get results? And because it only has one preamp and has to feed 2 amps....it loses power....Oh well...who knew?
    Anyway, I did have it on my sub-woofer box for awhile, but will be removing it shortly.

Hopefully this partical board will work for me, and I can mount both amps close to my ground area, and it will be stable....
    And advice to keep the board secure without actually drilling it to the trunk?
    Thanks.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited August 2010
    True. I bought some particleboard and will be placing that under the rug, kind of gluing it to the trunk perhaps. I plan on mounting both amps to the board, I do have a place where my spare tire is...but it is a mess down there lots of glue, and foam and some rust as well for some odd reason.
    Um, I plan on organizing the wires on the board I just have to draw up a diagram and saw the board out.
    I have to shorten my ground wires on account of a ground loop.... Hopefully shorter ground wires will help, if not I will need an ground loop filter.
    On top of that my receiver does not really put out the volts for a 4 channel amp I guess....it puts out 2v when I guess I need 4v or higher to get results? And because it only has one preamp and has to feed 2 amps....it loses power....Oh well...who knew?
    Anyway, I did have it on my sub-woofer box for awhile, but will be removing it shortly.

Hopefully this partical board will work for me, and I can mount both amps close to my ground area, and it will be stable....
    And advice to keep the board secure without actually drilling it to the trunk?
    Thanks.

Uh...... I would have to say that not really, unless you find some really super bad glue. **** it down is probably the best way that I know of, but I am not expert. Whe I had a car, my back seat's folded down, and I placed each amp of mine across from each other, and was mounted on the back seat back rest. It worked out for me because, there was plastic under the carpet so, there was a little more for the screws to hold onto.

As for your head unit you are going to want to get one that has a 6 channel RCA Front/Back/Sub outputs. Yes, you want to try to find a hu that is 4v if at all possible. If you look at the spec info it will tell you all you need to know about it.

Partical borad should be fine. Me I like to use 1/4 MDF but that is just me, but partical borad is just fine as well. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but you should be able to mount the amps on the side..??

Think about it for a moment, and take some cardboard, and make a template out of that first, then cut your partical borad. Best advise I can give is measure twice, cut once.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Well, for my subwoofer amp mounting on the side is fine, since it has fins and such. My kicker, maybe...I plan on measuring quite meticulously. Although this is rather temporary just to last me until the summer until I can get a newer car, then I will go a bit more crazy on my custom work.
    If a few $4 boards can get me some organization, I will have at it.
    I plan on doing it tomorrow if all goes well...just a rough cut out will do. Nothing permanent.
    And stores around me don't sell MDF I guess....I asked around.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2