Speaker Selection IYO

KaosTsoc
KaosTsoc Posts: 372
edited August 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I am looking at buying two 12" subs, and putting them into a ported box, and supplying at least the rms rating of the sub. I have narrowed my search down to a few options so far (not all are listed), and here they are:

Polk Audio SR124-DVC

Re Audio MX Series

Diamond Audio D612-12" dvc

JBL GTO1214D

So, my question is which one of these are going to be a good SQL, and SPL subs. I am looking to meet in the middle.

I have posted this thread in a few other place. It seems that some people check one place more than the other. So, really this is the same question, but would like to other peoples thoughts.

Note: for the other people who have already answered this befor, I like your input, but also would like again to get other peoples thoughts as well.

Thanks
David
2006 Prerunner Access Cab
5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
Pioneer P860 Head Unit
Polk Audio MM6501
Alpine PDX F-6
Two SR124(SVC)
Alpine PDX M12
Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
Post edited by KaosTsoc on

Comments

• KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Really????? Nobody has any say on this. I mean yeah... it is kind of a redundant, and a repeated question, but I am just trying to get as much info as possible, befor I decied to buy another set of subs, and yes it would be up to me decied, as I am one the buying them, and my ears are different from yours. The price factor is not really an issue. I am just looking at kicking this around to get some thoughts. Just so that you know this is the vehicle it will be going into:

2006 Toyota tacoma Prerunner access cab.

Space does not really matter to me as no one rides in the back of the truck any way, and if I have more than one person one can ride up front, and the other in bed so.....

So it would be nice to get some input. Also since I am looking not only for SQL, but also SPL as well. Actually leaning a little more toward SPL, something like 40% SQL, and 60% SPL. Will ported be the best option for this, or would sealed. I play my music at a volume of at least 60%, and listen to heavy metal, and hard hitting rap/hip hop. Do not really listen to anything in between these genres. So, yeah come one give me something.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited July 2010
    If price isn't an issue, hands down SS Reference R1. But if you want to go stupid loud SS **** line will give you that. But then again ymmv depending on your install.

Based on your needs and out of the subs you listed, the RE will go loud! That's what I would get if I were in your shoes.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Chu, you are the man. You know I had looked at the SS website, but was like I have never heard of them, but I see their name pop up every now and again. So, SS products are good then. Good to know thanks. Also I guess it would be safe to say that if I went with SS, and or the RE I would really only need one in a ported box??????

Out of these two for sh**'s and giggles, which one would be best to meet lets say in the middle of SQL, and SPL???

I mean considering that the subs will be right behind me, and the cab is not all that big anyway, and really do not want this to hit so hard that the front windshield falls out. I have replaced the damn thing twice already, not because of music, but due to rock chips etc.

Thanks, and keep it comin.

Forgot to mention that I already have a system in the truck now, and this is my project to replace what I currently have. So, I know a little bit, but now where near any of you, hence all the "stupid" questions.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    edited July 2010
    whoops, I mis-read the RE subs. I thought you were talking about the re-sx series. I'm unsure how the mx series will stack up, but re is known to be loud with a bit of sq.

Truthfully, I had/did one sealed and one ported sr124 in the back of my tundra for a year, and it was plenty loud in either enclosure. It was literally 1ft behind me, so yeah. And I like my music loud, concert loud. It all depends on your install, power, and other tech specs like sensitivity, xmax, and etc to determine how loud a sub/speaker will get.

You should also consider w7, it has impact. I've tested the 8w7 and that thing can kick with enough power flowing.

If I were you, I would go with re-sx series. I think you will be happy with it.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Ok. Sounds like a plan. I will look into that for sure. So, what about the SR series, are they good for both SQL, and SPL?? Just wondering.

Also as far as the sure size of these speakers would one be fine for my application, or would two be fine, or overkill??

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    edited August 2010
    Sr series as in what brand: re or polk?

Polk sounds a great in sealed enclosure but performs pretty well in ported too.
    I never tried the re-sr series, but looking at the specs, the polk is louder.

You will need multiple of subs to keep up with your comps, you don't want underwhelming sub bass do you?
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    Sorry meant to say polk SR series. Forgot RE has a line as well.

Ok. So, basically if I do lets say refering to my other post 4 6 1/2's then I could be fine with 2 12's?, and if I only run one set of 6 1/2's then one 12 would be good?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    edited August 2010
    2 subs ported should keep up with 4 comps with enough power flowing.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    Cool deal. So, going back to the Polk SR series subs. Would these meet my needs as well, or would the Sound Stream, be more up my alley?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    edited August 2010
    I'm impartial to sr subs, I like how they sound. I would still run sr in my new build, but I need the space.

SR are pretty loud imo, especially ported if ported correctly. You should plan to give these subs at least 1500rms each thats what I would do. You wouldn't use all the 1500 watts, but when those peaks comes in the SRs will literally chew you out lol. But you can get away with 700rms easy.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    Ok. Good to know. Thanks. So, I could do either Sound Stream R1, RE Audio SX, or the Polk SR's, and they would all be fine choices for what I am trying to accomplish.?

would ported be the best for what I am going for as well?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    edited August 2010
    Ported suits your needs. Make sure you can or find someone that can build and tune a ported box accordingly.

Either 3 will work well in ported enclosures, and I believe the re subs are built around ported enclosure.

I would go with the polks, but I'm impartial to them :P
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    Cool. Cool.
    Yeah I think I have a guy that does competitions, and has a team of people who are good at building boxes, and tuning them to the car, and the subs. I am going to talk to him later this week, and talk about this as well, and hopefully get some good contact's that I can suggest for other people as well, who live in my area. I will keep you posted on this.

You know I want to go with polk speakers, just cause they seem to be a really good sub, and dont really ever find any one who has had a bad experiance with them. I mean I have read that some people do not like them for one reason or another, but collectively the positives so out weight the negatives.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    chu wrote: »
    whoops, I mis-read the RE subs. I thought you were talking about the re-sx series. I'm unsure how the mx series will stack up, but re is known to be loud with a bit of sq.

Truthfully, I had/did one sealed and one ported sr124 in the back of my tundra for a year, and it was plenty loud in either enclosure. It was literally 1ft behind me, so yeah. And I like my music loud, concert loud. It all depends on your install, power, and other tech specs like sensitivity, xmax, and etc to determine how loud a sub/speaker will get.

You should also consider w7, it has impact. I've tested the 8w7 and that thing can kick with enough power flowing.

If I were you, I would go with re-sx series. I think you will be happy with it.

Could you please help me with what I am looking for in the tech specs that show how the SPL, and SQL will be??

Also Could you please explain what the Thermal Power Handeling means as opposed to RMS handeling? Or the difference between the two?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12