Any interest in a SoCal meet in San Diego?

13»

Comments

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited July 2010
    Erik Tracy wrote: »

(Doug we can go ref level right??? right??)

PLENTY of power here :D
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited July 2010
    dpowell wrote: »
    Norm,
    Sure thing. I'll make room for the salad.

Erik,
    Doesn't the Oppo have separate 2-channel analog outs that work for SACD or is there some limitation that I'm not aware of?

I'm glad you guys are bringing extra CDP's. I just had my Denon repaired a couple of months ago and it just yesterday decided it wanted to start acting up again. Can't get it to read half of the discs.:mad::mad::eek::mad:

The Oppo has 2-channel outputs as well as multichannel.

I guess part of the 'wow' of SACDs is the multichannel effect, but it will internally mix down a multichannel SACD to two channel output.

We can compare that to a standard CDP, but I already know from my devices which is better (the Cambridge).

The CDP will play all of the SACDs I'm bringing cuz they are hybrid SACDs with a redbook layer to them.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2010
    :p I just voted for June 26th :p

<<<<< notice only 6 more posts till i reach that magic number of 15,000 ! :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Only people with <15,000 posts are invited...... :D:p
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited July 2010
    Doug, we just had a family member pass away yesterday so going out there is out of the question.

Hope all goes well on your guys' end, enjoy the weekend for me and drink plenty of beer.

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Freddy,
    So sorry to hear about the loss of a family member. Don't worry, even though the first West Coast meet hasn't occured, I imagine it won't be the only time we get together.

doug
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    The SoCal Polk get together was a great success!!! Erik, Eric and Norm, so glad you guys could come down! It was great to finally meet some forum members and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole event......and now thanks to you, I have new audio 'needs' I didn't have before. :D I'll get some pics posted soon.
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2010
    The SoCal Polk get together was a great success!!! Erik, Eric and Norm, so glad you guys could come down! It was great to finally meet some forum members and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole event......and now thanks to you, I have new audio 'needs' I didn't have before. :D I'll get some pics posted soon.

Doug,
    Thanks for being the gracious host and letting us come to your house.

Love your HT stetup!

Got to listen to some cool gear, and added a couple of things to my gear list as well!

It was great to meet some fellow Polkies - Eric, Norm - thanks for hauling down some of your own gear to listen to - it was a very informative day of listening and discussing.

Sounds like Doug will have the ultimate setup in his new digs - I think he's set the precedent where future W.C. Gatherings will be! :p

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited July 2010

Doug:

Thanks for hosting. I learned a lot from you, Erik and Norm. Your SRT's and 1C's are awesome! When you get into the new place, I think you will need to christen the new HT/2 channel room with another meet!
  • Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited July 2010
    First and foremost, thanks to Doug for opening up his house for the meet. As an apartment renter, I have to say that you have two killer listening areas. I hope you're just as satisfied with the listening areas in the new place.

Second, thanks to Eric and Erik for making the trek and bringing your gear. I had a total blast listening to so many things on so many different configurations,and just hanging with all of you guys.

Yesterday was a first for me on many counts -- first SACD experience, first home projection experience, first Blueray (although just the sampler), first B&W, first Dynaudio, first Cambridge Audio, etc. All excellent listening/viewing experiences. But what really just floored me beyond belief was those SDA 1Cs. Read a lot about them, but there is nothing like experiencing them for the first time....not listening, EXPERIENCING. Just plain awesome. I think I'll be dreaming about them for weeks.:)
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2010
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    First and foremost, thanks to Doug for opening up his house for the meet. As an apartment renter, I have to say that you have two killer listening areas. I hope you're just as satisfied with the listening areas in the new place.

Second, thanks to Eric and Erik for making the trek and bringing your gear. I had a total blast listening to so many things on so many different configurations,and just hanging with all of you guys.

Yesterday was a first for me on many counts -- first SACD experience, first home projection experience, first Blueray (although just the sampler), first B&W, first Dynaudio, first Cambridge Audio, etc. All excellent listening/viewing experiences. But what really just floored me beyond belief was those SDA 1Cs. Read a lot about them, but there is nothing like experiencing them for the first time....not listening, EXPERIENCING. Just plain awesome. I think I'll be dreaming about them for weeks.:)

Norm,
    Thanks for bringing the CD binder...you got quite the varied collection going - enjoyed experiencing Wilco - good for an ancient dinosaur to listen to something new :D

Next time, we'll bring more blu-ray music/concert discs - as well as some SACDs.

I'm pretty sure we won't need to bring the 'standard' DSOTM - seems Doug was tickled silly with the sound of that on his SDA 1Cs - I'd bet he'll have his own copy soon :D

• mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited July 2010
    Huck344 wrote: »
    Depending on the date, I'd be down for that. I'd love to check out the SRTs.

damn, i missed out.

i have a place in Rancho San Diego

when is the next meeting gonna take place?
    mole'
  • Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited July 2010
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    ...enjoyed experiencing Wilco - good for an ancient dinosaur to listen to something new :D

Next time, we'll bring more blu-ray music/concert discs - as well as some SACDs.

Sounds good, would love to see some performances in that format. Additionally, next time I'll bring a Wilco DVD concert (its on a standard DVD-R but it is taken from a Hi-Def recording of their set from the 2009 Rockpalast festival in Germany) just to give you a sense of how great these guys rock in concert. Seeing them perform adds a whole other dimension to the music. This wouldn't be for critical listening, but maybe just while we're unwinding between sessions...

Oh, and one other thing occurred to me after I returned home -- I totally spaced and forgot to play an HDCD track or two for you guys on the Bada, as decoding HDCDs is one of its features (I'm kicking myself now because a few HDCDs were in the binder, including Beck's Sea Change). I think I was just overwhelmed by so much interesting gear. Oh well, maybe next time...
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    OK guys, the pics, etc are posted in the clubhouse:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1384316&posted=1#post1384316
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Yes, when?

I'm going to be in San Diego in Oct or Nov and LA in March 2011

Keep us posted as the time for your visit to SD gets closer. Maybe we can work something out.
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Huck344 wrote: »
    Doug:

Thanks for hosting. I learned a lot from you, Erik and Norm. Your SRT's and 1C's are awesome! When you get into the new place, I think you will need to christen the new HT/2 channel room with another meet!

Absolutely! Can't wait to do that again. :D
  • mole'
    edited July 2010
    when is the next meet gonna go down in SoCal?
    mole'
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Sometime in October if I can get the home theater installed in the new house by then.
  • mole'
    edited July 2010
    Sometime in October if I can get the home theater installed in the new house by then.

well im down to help out if ya need any.
    mole'
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind as I get into the project.
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    All,
    New thread for Fall 2010 Polkie Meet has been started:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104702