Any interest in a SoCal meet in San Diego?

Comments

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited July 2010
    Sounds great Norm!
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited July 2010
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    I mentioned a few different kinds of salad above, but I'll make a point of including a regular (green) one.

Freddie--are your MIT Shotgun S-3s: ICs or Speaker cables? I've got both so let's know and I'll bring the other.

They're ICs. :cool:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited July 2010
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    They're ICs. :cool:

I got S2 speaker cables 8 ft. I can bring those.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    ....and we can compare them to the MIT Terminator 2 IC's and speaker cables I have in the two channel rig. :D
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • kawizx9r
    edited July 2010
    dpowell wrote: »
    ....and we can compare them to the MIT Terminator 2 IC's and speaker cables I have in the two channel rig. :D

In that case.....lol nvm.

Like I said above, I can bring my Peachtree Decco (integrated with built-in DAC). Don't have anything else of interest anymore :o

Btw, I might have a guest coming along if it's alright?
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2010

If we have time, I'll drag along my AQ Columbia ICs as well.

I'll bring my two copies of Bryan Ferry's Boys & Girls so we can manually sync CDPs and DACs for a real time A/B comparison.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • kawizx9r
    edited July 2010
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    If we have time, I'll drag along my AQ Columbia ICs as well.

I'll bring my two copies of Bryan Ferry's Boys & Girls so we can manually sync CDPs and DACs for a real time A/B comparison.

Nice!

What other gear is being brought along?

I've had a chance to experience alot of gear out in the midwest, but now I want to see what CA's got to offer :cool:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• dpowell
    edited July 2010
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    In that case.....lol nvm.

Like I said above, I can bring my Peachtree Decco (integrated with built-in DAC). Don't have anything else of interest anymore :o

Btw, I might have a guest coming along if it's alright?

No problem. I am inviting a friend who may be interested. I'm also inviting the AV repair guy I met on Craigslist. He's repaired 3 pieces of gear for me and has been wondering why in the world anyone would still want a tube amp....... :confused: He'll soon discover the magic of tubes and SDA. :D
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    I was thinking that in addition to all of the 2-channel stuff we'll be doing that it would be a shame not to crank the SRT theater with some concert DVD's. I have the following to offer and if anyone wants to bring some additional Music DVD's, that would be cool.

Pat Metheny Group - We Live Here, Secret Story and Speaking of Now
    Eagles - Hell Freezes Over, DTS version
    Los Lonely Boys - Live in Austin
    Sting - Brand New Day
    Norah Jones - Live at the House of Blues
  • kawizx9r
    edited July 2010
    Ah that's right! Almost forgot about your SRT theater, so does that mean I can relieve you of your RT5Kp setup? :D:D:D
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Freddy,
    You picked a bad time to take an extended leave from the forum! :( I held them for about a month and replaced the Caps in the subs then sold them. Of course I only sold the 3000's and CS1000p but kept the FX1000s.
  • kawizx9r
    edited July 2010
    Freddy,
    You picked a bad time to take an extended leave from the forum! :( I held them for about a month and replaced the Caps in the subs then sold them. Of course I only sold the 3000's and CS1000p but kept the FX1000s.

:(:eek::(

Well, guess that could be a good thing....don't know how the hell I'd carry all that in my Ford Focus lol.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited July 2010
    OK, I just checked back with this thread after a few days and I see that both MIT Shotgun S-series speaker cables and ICs are accounted for by two different attendees, so I won't bother bringing mine.

It looks like the only other things I have to offer are my Bada CDP and three after-market power cables (IeGO). I think the latter are a step up from Signal Cable Magic Power cord and Digital Reference Power Cord as well as lower end PS Audio cables.

Are you guys mostly using stock power cords?...well, either way I'll bring these IeGOs along and you can have a listen and make a judgement for yourself.
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Norm, my MIT's are the older Terminator Series and it does look like others are bringing the Shotguns. I am using two Signal Cable digital reference PC's on the two Anthem amps and would be interested in seeing if there is a difference between them and the PC's you have.
  • kawizx9r
    edited July 2010
    Other than the Peachtree Decco and Shotgun S3 IC, I'm bringing along my Shunyata Diamondback Venom power cord. It's nothing fancy, but it's a step up from the stock power cord for the Decco.

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2010
    My list of goodies:
    * B&W CDM 1NT Bookshelves
    * MIT Shotgun S2 Biwire speaker cables (Bananas all around) - 8 ft
    * Audioquest Rockefeller speaker cables (Bananas all round) - 10ft
    * Audioquest Columbia ICs (RCAs all around) -1M
    * Pangea AC-14 power cord (for source components) - 1M
    * Cambridge Audio 640c V2 CDP
    * Assorted CDs and SACDs
    * A side dish of some sort :)

I'm interested in comparing the B&Ws to the Dynaudios...been eyeing Dynaudio as maybe my next step

• Norm Apter
    edited July 2010
    dpowell: I'm wondering if you're OPPO Blu-ray / SACD player is configured in a 5.1 set-up (???)

The reason I ask is because I've had Pink Floyd's DSOTM hybrid-SACD for while, but have never heard it in 5.1 SACD format (only the redbook layer). I also have Bob Dylan's Blood on The Tracks and Art Blakey's Moanin' in hybrid SACD which I'd like to bring along to get a sense of the SACD experience.
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Norm
    The Denon SACD player is configured for 2 channel in the 2-channel rig.
    The Oppo is connected via HDMI and I believe this works find for multi-channel SACD.

Bring them along and we'll try them out on both!

doug
  • Norm Apter
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, Doug. I'll bring them down.
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
  • iskandam
    iskandam Posts: 704
    edited July 2010
    Well I don't know how I managed to miss this thread the whole time but count me in. Is the date set in stone yet?
  • dpowell
    edited July 2010
    yep, it's this saturday te 17th from 10am to 10pmish. You're welcome to come! Any gear you want to bring?
  • iskandam
    iskandam Posts: 704
    edited July 2010
    dang, this Saturday is already booked for me :(
  • kawizx9r
    edited July 2010
    It's not looking good so far, I've been out of touch with my friend in Long Beach....as if he just dropped off the face of the planet :eek:

Will keep you guys posted, but if he isn't available the trip will be a bit hard to do.

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2010
    What should I bring as a side dish?

Got my pile of goodies ready to go...should be fun!

• dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Erik,

Here is a list of what I know is confirmed thus far:

Doug: Steaks, Baked Beans, Baked Potatoes
    Norm: Salad
    Huck344 (Eric): Beer

Do you want to bring something like a veggie platter and/or chips and dip? Also, my freshly repaired Denon 3910 is acting up again. It works some times and not others so if anyone wants SACD for 2-channel, it might help to have another SACD player on hand just in case. If it isn't too much trouble to bring your Oppo, bring it along. Otherwise, we can just play the SACD's on the SRTs using my Oppo.

Right now, Freddy and xj4094dg are unsure if they'll make it.
    Dacoupdaville and blueboxer can't come for sure.
    Robert, a local friend of mine who does electronics repair will be coming.
  • Norm Apter
    edited July 2010
    Doug:

Is it possible that you could clear some space in the fridge for two plastic containers about 12in.L x 5in.W x 2.5 in.H each. I'll be bringing two types of salad, one for each container but both are cold items. Since I plan to leave early tomorrow morning I hope to get there before the current SoCal heat spell kicks in but nevertheless these should be refrigerated upon arrival since the drive is about 2 hours. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Erik: if for some reason you decide not to bring the MIT S-2 speaker cables send me a PM notifying me, so that I know to bring my S-3 speaker cables. I'll be bringing 3 sets of Shotgun S-3 ICs so that we can listen to a full-out MIT Shotgun cabled system.

Norm
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2010
    Doug:

Is it possible that you could clear some space in the fridge for two plastic containers about 12in.L x 5in.W x 2.5 in.H each. I'll be bringing two types of salad, one for each container but both are cold items. Since I plan to leave early tomorrow morning I hope to get there before the current SoCal heat spell kicks in but nevertheless these should be refrigerated upon arrival since the drive is about 2 hours. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Erik: if for some reason you decide not to bring the MIT S-2 speaker cables send me a PM notifying me, so that I know to bring my S-3 speaker cables. I'll be bringing 3 sets of Shotgun S-3 ICs so that we can listen to a full-out MIT Shotgun cabled system.

Norm

Norm - I'm good with you bringing a complete 'loom' of S-3s. I've heard that within the S-x family the sonics are close.

I can bring my Oppo for SACDs, but I think that the only thing my standard 83 will offer is the multi-channel experience - assuming that someone has a complete analog multi-channel IC set - otherwise it'll have to be hdmi and we listen to the AVRs DACs.

• Norm Apter
    edited July 2010
    Cool.

One note: I'm an SACD virgin....please be gentle. :D
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2010
    Cool.

One note: I'm an SACD virgin....please be gentle. :D

Well then, it'll have to be DSOTM. :D

Music I'll bring along:
    * DSTOM SACD and redbook cd so we can A/B between the two
    * Bryan Ferry's Boys & Girls - 2 identical redbook CDs so we can A/B source devices
    * Doobie Bros - Captain & Me on SACD
    * Jeff Golub - Out of the Blue - redbook cd, just cuz I want to share "Wanna Funk" (Doug we can go ref level right??? right??)
    * Stevie Ray Vaughn - In Step - redbook cd, ya'll gotta hear Riviera Paradise

• dpowell
    edited July 2010
    Norm,
    Sure thing. I'll make room for the salad.

Erik,
    Doesn't the Oppo have separate 2-channel analog outs that work for SACD or is there some limitation that I'm not aware of?

I'm glad you guys are bringing extra CDP's. I just had my Denon repaired a couple of months ago and it just yesterday decided it wanted to start acting up again. Can't get it to read half of the discs.:mad::mad::eek::mad: