What to choose: SR124 ore (again)12W6?

Kayman
Kayman Posts: 4
edited July 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hi
I always used JL subs, but the same always wanted to try Polk, as their equipment seems to be more attractive. Now I have to buy a new sub. It will be single sub in closed box with suggested 1.4-1.5 volume, I listen to house music.
I had 12W6, it was stolen last week, now is a chance to change it to SR124, question is: is sr124 better than 12w6? I mean fast response, power and pressure. Amp will be suited to sub power, as for now it would be 700-750W RMS. Maybe someone had both subs and can tell me difference? Here in Poland there is Polk, but not really known and I found one user who heard both and sais it sounds softer and quiter than 12W6. Reading googled info I have different impression, please help me.
Post edited by Kayman on

Comments

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2010
    JL Audio 12W6 is a helluva sub. Not sure you can do better. I have 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D Dual Voice Coil subs (the older, more sensitive model-- 94dB @ 1 watt) in a 1-ohm configuration; mostly like them because of their sensitivity. Otherwise, I'd have JL Audio.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Kayman
    edited June 2010
    Well, this is right, maybe I will try this time Polk, If you say it is not really worse (what I am affraid and can not check), maybe it is a way to go. There is quite difference in power between them (SR 700 vs 12W6 500W), is it noticable?
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2010
    I have a 10W6v2, and switched to a Polk SR124 DVC... out of the two woofers I prefer the Polk SR.

The W6v2 is a really transparent woofer, and if you want bass that is felt more than actually heard you may want to stick with JL. The SR sub has a little more presence in subwoofer territory, as well as more nuance and detail in the impact. The W6 does well with more than the rated 500 watts RMS (I tried mine with 400 watts, 600 watts and eventually 1000 watts through a series of amplifier upgrades and I preferred it's performance with 600 watts RMS +). The W6v2 is more expensive to buy authorized which is one of the reasons I wanted to try out the SR, and I'm glad I did.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2010
    Ya cant really go wrong with either. Like choosing between a BWN and Mercedes. Both are excellent.

The SR will work best in a 1.25 ft3 box so if you need a smaller box than 1.5, that could be a way to go.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Kayman
    edited June 2010
    You mean without speaker in 1.25cu ft?
  • Marvelous Marv
    Marvelous Marv Posts: 33
    edited July 2010
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Ya cant really go wrong with either. Like choosing between a BWN and Mercedes. Both are excellent.

The SR will work best in a 1.25 ft3 box so if you need a smaller box than 1.5, that could be a way to go.
    is that 1.5 total size or just one chamber?Im looking for a dual sealed or dual ported box design with full specs.