Events posted on Polk facebook page?

kab
kab Posts: 275
All,

How do you feel about having these events also posted on the Event tab of the Polk Audio facebook page?

Yes?
No?
Maybe so?

Why or why not?

Thanks,
Al
Post edited by kab on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2010
    I would think that Polkfests held at a polkie's house should not be there. We could run out of beer.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited May 2010
    Ricardo wrote: »
    I would think that Polkfests held at a polkie's house should not be there. We could run out of beer.

Well, that and you don't want every monkey and his brother showing up at someone's house unplanned and unexpected.

Unless you could make a section of the events tab private to only fans of Polk Audio and require an RSVP so they know who is coming and there are no surprises. I'd hate to see the Polkfests turn in to something bad instead of something good. Either that or require registration or something to notify the organizer that they are intending on coming.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2010
    I think the event should be posted, after it has transpired, with pictures to document.

Generate enthusiasm, avoid the risks.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    Well, that and you don't want every monkey and his brother showing up at someone's house unplanned and unexpected.

That was too obvious to mention ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2010
    I wouldn't want a Polkfest at my house advertised on there...or anything for that matter.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2010
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I think the event should be posted, after it has transpired, with pictures to document.

+1, excellent idea
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

I was thinking that too.

I mean, the events at people's houses are for those who participate in Club Polk. Addresses of the actual events don't really get posted unless via PM. It's not really about privacy. It's about, well, trolls. We have losers inundating the board all the time with their shenanigans. Granted 99% of them wouldn't dare show their face in person but that 99% isn't what the worry is. That 1% is and it's such a wild card that you never can really be fully aware/prepared for it.

It's bad enough the behavior happens here. But if you want to see how brazen people get on Facebook, just play one of the social games. I'd also say that at least a good 30% of the total accounts on Facebook are either aliases or fake accounts and you really can't tell who is behind them.

Add to that the level and cost of gear showing up let alone what resides at that event location on a permanent basis as well as others will know who will be where and when and risks rise. Brings up another idea of a jilted and/or banned member deciding to exact revenge.

I'm all for posting event photos and such but advertising the events without the somewhat protective nature of the forums gets scary when you actually think about it.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dubradio
    dubradio Posts: 181
    edited May 2010
    I was thinking that too.

I mean, the events at people's houses are for those who participate in Club Polk. Addresses of the actual events don't really get posted unless via PM. It's not really about privacy. It's about, well, trolls. We have losers inundating the board all the time with their shenanigans. Granted 99% of them wouldn't dare show their face in person but that 99% isn't what the worry is. That 1% is and it's such a wild card that you never can really be fully aware/prepared for it.

It's bad enough the behavior happens here. But if you want to see how brazen people get on Facebook, just play one of the social games. I'd also say that at least a good 30% of the total accounts on Facebook are either aliases or fake accounts and you really can't tell who is behind them.

Add to that the level and cost of gear showing up let alone what resides at that event location on a permanent basis as well as others will know who will be where and when and risks rise. Brings up another idea of a jilted and/or banned member deciding to exact revenge.

I'm all for posting event photos and such but advertising the events without the somewhat protective nature of the forums gets scary when you actually think about it.

^ This

Posting the event after it has transpired with pictures and summary/review is better way to go. But alerting that many people of a smaller event is much riskier.
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited May 2010
    I believe the event could be "invite only" on facebook. So, only certain fans/people get invited. The address doesn't need to be posted, but as someone RSVP's, they get sent a message with the location.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2010
    If you staged an event for the fans of Polk (not just CP members) like the one we had at the HQ in Maryland in 2008...that would be Polk's call depending on whether or not they were ready for the turnout that "might" occur.

As far as the Polkfests at individual's homes...NO! Those are more for the participating members of CP (with some restrictions - ie: I can't see liv4fam ever being welcome at Troy's, etc...) and not open to the public at large IMO. I think the pictures of the event after the fact would be an excellent marketing tool for Polk and I don't think anyone would mind as long as the address and so forth was not included.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Huck344
    edited May 2010
    Maybe anything posted on the Polk facebook page would be good marketing. I just went to the page. Other than fan comments, Polk hasn't posted anything on the page since November 2008.
  • kab
    kab Posts: 275
    edited May 2010
    You're all right of course. No telling who might show. Bad enough the ones that we know ;)

After the event it is.
  • shack
    edited May 2010
    Huck344 wrote: »
    Maybe anything posted on the Polk facebook page would be good marketing. I just went to the page. Other than fan comments, Polk hasn't posted anything on the page since November 2008.

Not sure what your are looking at...Polk has been posting on Facebook regularly for the past several months. Seems like at least once a week or more.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dubradio
    edited May 2010
    Huck,

You are looking at the Old Fan created Polk Audio page, Not our official page.
  • shack
    edited May 2010
    When you search on Facebook use polkaudio (one word) not polk audio (two words).

• Huck344
    edited May 2010
    My bad:o:o:o

I always figured that there HAD to be another page, but I never thought of putting the words together. Sorry for the outburst. Just joined the new fan page on FB.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2010
    Regardless of what conclusion/decision is made you will never see my future events posted on Facebook. It would be in fact, by invitation only. The others can cry when they see the pictures later.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2010
    Go ahead an announce it Mark, Polkfest 2011 in Damascus!!!!!!

I'm in. I'll start a post on the FB page and link your profile.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2010
    Nope. I'll never invite another large group of these ppl in my house ever again....the neighborhood has hated me ever since.
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    I really don't think that's why the neighborhood hates you, sport.

• dubradio
    edited May 2010
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2010
    Kyle - You do know that I know where you work right?

John - You're the worst friend ever.
  • dubradio
    edited May 2010
    Im sneaky you wont find me, I can hide in the Polk Jungle.
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Kyle - You do know that I know where you work right?

John - You're the worst friend ever.

Awww...don't cry little guy! You want a soda? Hmmmm....?

By the way, I'm not your friend. You un-friended me on Facebook. :p

• Jstas
    edited May 2010
    Im sneaky you wont find me, I can hide in the Polk Jungle.

You do know about his penchant for hiding in bushes, right? It usually involves leather clothing products that lack ample cover for his posterior and musical selections that range from humming the "Bridge Over the River Kwai" theme to a vocal symphony of instrumentals like Kenny G's "Songbird" to "The mission Impossible Theme".

You can tell if it was lightman doing a stand in because then it will smell like urine.

• dorokusai
    edited May 2010
    Awww...don't cry little guy! You want a soda? Hmmmm....?

By the way, I'm not your friend. You un-friended me on Facebook. :p

I unfriended every single Polkie John, so at least you aren't alone.
  • dubradio
    edited May 2010
    You do know about his penchant for hiding in bushes, right? It usually involves leather clothing products that lack ample cover for his posterior and musical selections that range from humming the "Bridge Over the River Kwai" theme to a vocal symphony of instrumentals like Kenny G's "Songbird" to "The mission Impossible Theme".

You can tell if it was lightman doing a stand in because then it will smell like urine.

ROFL... Jstas this has got to be one of the funniest responses I've seen on CP:D
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited May 2010
    wow, I missed this entire thread, looks like the decision is made.

my vote would certainly be not having the Polkfest at my house anounced on facebook.

the current model of only active clob polkies being aware of it works.

even the pics after the event need to be a little careful, even my name and town being mentioned might be a little uncomfy for me
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    ohskigod wrote: »
    active clob polkies

What's a Clob Polkie?