Value of CRS+ and 5 Jrs

D. Smith
D. Smith Posts: 7
edited May 2010 in Vintage Speakers
I have just upgraded my theater room to the RTIA series of Polk speakers. Now I would like to find a good home for my retired CRS+ and 5 Jrs. I bought these in '87, and they are in very good condition, and the CRS+ really sound good with my new Pioneer receiver. I have the original metal stands and phase cable (blade to blade) for the CRS speakers. My question to this group is what would be a fair price for these speakers. Thanks - Don
Post edited by D. Smith on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    Welcome to Club Polk. I think the CRS+s can go higher depending on what year they were built and their condition. With the blade/blade configuration I don't believe they can be 4.1 TL modded with out some major reconstruction of the xovers. I have seen them go as high as $400 w/original stands.

Just an FYI you should read this;

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98162
  • Bobsama
    Bobsama Posts: 526
    edited May 2010
    I've seen CRS+'s in good condition frequently go for $250-400, especially when the original stands are included. Depending on the model of 5JR's will change the price; original 5JR's will be less expensive than 5JR+'s, for example. As Lasareath asks, what's your location?
    polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
    polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
    TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
    beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
    SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
    Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
    Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
  • D. Smith
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the welcome and the replies. I have followed Club Polk for the last 6 months, and this is my first post. I am located in Harrisburg, NC, just outside of Charlotte NC.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2010
    i would suggest keeping the CRS+'s and building a two channel rig with them. You will find that you miss SDA's as soon as you want to listen to music.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • D. Smith
    edited May 2010
    I agree Nooshinjohn, I strongly considered keeping them, but unfortunately don't have room. They really sounded good when I paired them with my new Pioneer receiver. Much, much better than with the old Yamaha receiver. The sound was hidden all these years! I didn't have the heart to replug them in and compare them to the new RTIA5's with a DSW Pro 600 sub. But the new setup sounds good too. I sat an listened to a whole variety of music last night. So I am drumming up some cash to upgrade my center channel. Thanks - Don
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    D. Smith wrote: »
    I agree Nooshinjohn, I strongly considered keeping them, but unfortunately don't have room. They really sounded good when I paired them with my new Pioneer receiver. Much, much better than with the old Yamaha receiver. The sound was hidden all these years! I didn't have the heart to replug them in and compare them to the new RTIA5's with a DSW Pro 600 sub. But the new setup sounds good too. I sat an listened to a whole variety of music last night. So I am drumming up some cash to upgrade my center channel. Thanks - Don

Don I have a pair of original SDA/CRSs, the ones with the dimentional tweeters. They were redone RD0194, Vampire binding posts, and a new beautiful vaneer job all done by two different Polkies here. I have no room for them but they are such a novelty and the dimentional tweeters are so fun to listen to that I can't bring myself to sell them. I put them aside for a rainy day then lent them ( and I put emphasis on the word LOAN) to my son who is using them but knows that at a moments notice when I ask, I want them back now and right then!

Moral of the story, you may want to keep them for a rainy day or have your son (if you have one) or relative use them until you get the hankering for them.

Just saying . . . :)
  • Bobsama
    Bobsama Posts: 526
    edited May 2010
    If you have no space right now for them, just stack them in a closet or something. Even if you don't constantly use loudspeakers, EVERYONE gets into moods about what and how they want to listen to music or movies. Save them for a rainy day.

As it is now, it'd be virtually impossible for me to give up my SDA-1's; even if I replace them multiple times, they'll be loudspeakers I'll keep until they literally fall apart... at which point I'll rebuild them.
    polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
    polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
    TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
    beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
    SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
    Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
    Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
  • D. Smith
    edited May 2010
    Thanks all. Good news. I have stacked them in a closet until I can convince my wife that we can put them in the living room. Of course I will get another Pioneer receiver to drive them with and get the amazing sound. All our kids (6 between us) are not audiophiles, so lending them (the speakers not the kids) won't work for me. Thanks for all your help and insights.
    Don
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2010
    A very smart choice... Congrats!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited May 2010
    D. Smith wrote: »
    Thanks all. Good news. I have stacked them in a closet until I can convince my wife that we can put them in the living room. Of course I will get another Pioneer receiver to drive them with and get the amazing sound. All our kids (6 between us) are not audiophiles, so lending them (the speakers not the kids) won't work for me. Thanks for all your help and insights.
    Don

Skip the Pioneer receiver and get yourself a pre amp and amp combo, it'll sound a lot better.
  • D. Smith
    edited May 2010
    Any suggestions on an amp/preamp? Why would this be better than a good receiver that puts out 100 watts? I did repair and refoamed my old M+K subwoofer to go with the Polks so I can plan to have a 5.1 surround system. Thanks Don
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Don,

I have an Adcom GFP-750 and I love it!

It's very versatile, it can play in mono, reverse stereo, and it has a Home Theater bypass. And one of its greatest little ability is that it can play in passive mode or active mode.

Some source material sounds better in active mode and some sounds better in passive.

you can see mine on display here:

http://www.polk-audio-sda-srs-one-po...one%20dies.htm

and here:

http://www.polk-audio-sda-srs-one-po...%20Shelves.htm

Lasareath

Sal, these two links don't work for me, I keep getting an error everytime I click on them.
  • D. Smith
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Lasareath, Your preamp/amp are quite a system. My budget won't quite get me there, but shopping is always fun. :=) (I also couldn't access your two posted links). Feeling the music is what ultimately I would like to do.
    Don
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2010
    Do you still have the 5jrs for sale or are they in hibernation too?:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You cannot sell anything here until you have 100 meaningful posts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Too bad you didn't post a few times every year in the ten years since your last post in 2010, you'd have 100 posts and could legitimately sell in the For Sale section. Not trying to be a jerk, but this is a good example of how just a modest amount of posts periodically would entitle you to quite a few additional benefits. Now, only someone who blatantly violates the rules can purchase these nice speakers on this forum, which is quite unlikely to happen as the rules in the For Sale section are there for a reason, which is that people on the forum trust each other based on a history. Granted, you've been a ten year member of the forum but you still need 100 posts to sell.
  • Yes, I agree. The rules have changed and I am amiss since I last posted. I was simply trying to offer a good set of Polks to this forum instead of going to Craig's List. I had sent a message to the webmaster asking for a reprieve, but had not heard back.
    Thanks,
    Don