question

Options
cedric
cedric Posts: 11
edited November 2003 in Troubleshooting
is there anyway to get a mono amp to put out a 2ohm load on a single 4ohm sub?? also, i have a buddy thats running a 8ohm and a 4 ohm sub together on a 500m. whats the damage he might expect since i can't tell him?
Post edited by cedric on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    amps don't "put out" loads, they are "loaded" by what's wired to them and how multiple speakers are wired.

don't know what a "500m" is, but your buddy is presenting either a 12 ohm or 2.7 ohm load to his amp depending on whether the speakers are in series or parallel respectively...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • cedric
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    amps don't "put out" loads, they are "loaded" by what's wired to them and how multiple speakers are wired.

don't know what a "500m" is, but your buddy is presenting either a 12 ohm or 2.7 ohm load to his amp depending on whether the speakers are in series or parallel respectively...

OK, I GOTCHA ON THE LOAD DEAL. I WAS JUST USING OLD TERMS TO EXPLAIN.. I WAS ONLY WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD EVER FIGURE A WAY TO TRICK THE AMP INTO THINKING 2 OHMS.. THIS IS ONLY USING ONE SINGLE 4 OHM SUB.. AS FOR THE 500M, ITS A FOSGATE AMP(MONO). THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION THOUGH
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Just guessing....but are these subs in your car? If so you need to go to the Car Audio & Electronics forum and post your question there. You might get more responses.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cedric
    edited November 2003
    Options
    no, the subs are not in my car. its my buddy with the 2 different ohm subs. i have one polk momo 12 on a 1000bd.. i was just wondering since i see their are many bass heads here like myself.