Long Island get-together -> Sat. May 22nd

polrbehr
polrbehr Posts: 2,825
- Planning another small gathering at mi casa on Sat. May 22nd

I wanted to wait until the threat of a blizzard was almost zero, this is the day
that seems to work out best.

Now that my basement is completed, I can do two separate listening areas, one for 2 channel and the LR for HT. If the weather cooperates, I may set up a small rig outside as well.

I plan on updating my pix in the Showcase soon, but for the moment the major players in the HT setup are a Sammy 67" LED DLP, all Polks [except for an SVS sub:D], and a Denon 2106 with a GFA555 powering the fronts, so music doesn't sound too bad there either.
The basement rig currently has two setups, and I can pretty easily swap out any gear people want to bring along if they want. I have my Pioneer TT, a Denon 1940 DVD for CDs/SACDs, into either a Parasound P/HP 850 preamp or an Adcom GTP-450, into an Adcom GFA535 amp, driving a modded pair of SDA 2Bs.

I'd really like to get this going as early as possible, only because I can't have this running too much after 7 PM, so I figure 12 noon or so for people who live reasonably close? I will have plenty of food (BBQ?) and drink on hand, but alcohol is not usually found in my home, so if you want it, bring it with ya! (within reason ;))

If you think you might want to head out to "The Sticks" that day, you can post your intentions here, then PM or email me and we can work out details. For various reasons (which some of you already know of), I am somewhat limited in the number of people I can have, so I'd ask that people let me know ahead of time if they plan on attending.

Thanks for reading!
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
Post edited by polrbehr on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    Ttt...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2010
    Harry,

If I go to the Bay Shore Roller Rink that day, I'll drop in.
  • Face
    edited May 2010
    George, they tore it down about 6 months ago: http://www.lioddities.com/Rink/
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited May 2010
    FYI, this event has been moved to the following weekend - May 22nd .

Same parameters apply, and if anyone is on the fence about the food, my skills preparing BBQ ribs has improved dramatically since I posted this thread ;)

This new date just seemed to fit with my schedule a lot better.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    Have fun gents, I wish I could attend.
  • George Grand
    edited May 2010
    I spent a lot of Saturdays at that rink in the 60's. I saw The Ronettes there!

Now I'm sad.

How about the Bay Shore Farmer's Market? South Shore Mall?
  • Face
    edited May 2010
    South Shore Mall is still there. I'm not familiar with the Farmer's Market though. Babylon village area has come around.
  • George Grand
    edited May 2010
    The FM was directly east of the mall, across Brentwood Road. It had entrances on both Brentwood Rd and the Sunrise. Directly east of the FM on the same side of the Sunrise was a double movie theater.
  • Face
    edited May 2010
    Ttt...
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited May 2010
    Harry,

I would have loved to join, but can't make it. Have a great time.

Mike
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Harry!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Face
    edited May 2010
    Thanks, had a great time!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2010
    I learned a lot from you guys!

1. SVS makes awesome subs for HT, vastly different from my sub that's set up strictly for music. I want one though...
    2. Cables make a difference. More of a difference in higher-end rigs, but they still do make a difference.
    3. The room, IMO, has the biggest impact on the sound. Bass traps and acoustic treatments are significant (next upgrade)
    4. Mike (Face) drives like a NASCAR driver.
    5. Harry (polrbehr) has a nice vinyl cleaning machine ;)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2010
    pictures?
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D