Best floor-standing speakers for music? Up to 2K

Options
k0tuynh
k0tuynh Posts: 143
edited May 2010 in Speakers
I know this has probably been discussed at length and I've searched through a handful of threads already. I'm looking to get some new tower speakers for music.

Budget is around 2k for a pair. The pair will be hooked up to Yamaha 863 + Emotiva XPA-2, and SVS PB 10 NDS.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Post edited by k0tuynh on

Comments

• bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I have a pair of Lsi25's that I am pleased with but if you want a better experience I would find a pair of SRS 1.2tl's for a two channel rig. I have not sampled other companies top of the line speakers. I personally feel I don't need to. I am more than satisfied with my Polk speakers. Just my opinion.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Plus one on the SDA SRS 1.2TL's for two channel. The LSi's are a very good speaker if you are looking new, but they lack the impact of the monoliths. You can find a set of TL's and still have money left over for upgrades to the speakers themselves or other areas of your system. I must caution you however that the WAF factor is not a strong suit of the SDA's. What they lack in that regard is more than made up for by the fact they are still regarded today as the best speaker Polk Audio has ever made.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited May 2010
    Options
    :rolleyes:

I'd like one pr. of each please.....
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • bopicasso
    bopicasso Posts: 878
    edited May 2010
    Options
    +1 for zingo's recommendation
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.
  • k0tuynh
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I narrow down to 2 brands..

B&W , Dynaudio...please help me to decide
  • bopicasso
    edited May 2010
    Options
    for overall performance with music, I would go with dynaudio.
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.
  • Litz
    Litz Posts: 111
    edited May 2010
    Options
    k0tuynh wrote: »

B&W have always sounded to me a bit drier...maybe on the analytical side.

Dynaudio has a bit more flavor. BOTH brands need a high current amp to really open up, they suck up power.

I'd have to audition both at length myself before buying.
  • k0tuynh
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Where do i check for dynaudio msrp? they don't list in their website.
  • Litz
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Where do i check for dynaudio msrp? they don't list in their website.

What model(s) of B&W and dynaudio are you considering?
  • bopicasso
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I recommend buying used to get the most for your money. If you look on audiogon and ebay, good deals come up often. I found my dyns on audiogon from a local seller that had a fire sale because he was moving. They were in perfect shape with no scratches or dings. And I paid less than what they are going for today.
  • k0tuynh
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm looking for recommendations from all experts here...budget is around 2k..which dynaudio models would fit the bill?
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2010
    Options

I've owned B&W and Dynaudio clone speakers, and both were great. B&W are a little more neutral/dry as stated above, but I liked the sound as they they do make "monitors".
  • k0tuynh
    edited May 2010
    Options
    looks like you have some great gears, bopicasso..I'll constantly look for used one on audiogon
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I like Zingo's list above as well, though I have NOT heard everything on it. I can say that I agree with folks above about B&W.....personally I find some of their bookshelves more pleasing...but I'm not a 'fan' in general.

Focals are among my favorite speakers so I have a bias there. I've rarely heard one of their offerings that I don't like. A number of people here have MLs or Maggies so those are worth a listen. As are the Sonus Faber--always a favorite with the so-called 'audiophile'? In any case, seems like plenty to choose from above. Wish I had a couple grand to spend on new towers (used)--lucky devil!

As commonly said, see if you can hear some of these for yourself before you buy. Dynaudio should also be on your short-list!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Litz
    edited May 2010
    Options
    For a quick taste of dynaudio flavor, Guitar center has 2-way dynaudio monitors that will put you into the ballpark. IIRC, they are $800-$900 ish per pair.
  • k0tuynh
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your inputs
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I just re-read your original post.... IMHO, I would look at replacing the Yammi before looking at speakers. I ran one of these and after moving a lot of gear/speakers through my rig, I was suprized to learn the Yammi was the cause of most of my frustration with sound quality. They tend to be overly bright in two channel and to my ear anyway, are not as good as they used to be.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Litz
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I just re-read your original post.... IMHO, I would look at replacing the Yammi before looking at speakers. I ran one of these and after moving a lot of gear/speakers through my rig, I was suprized to learn the Yammi was the cause of most of my frustration with sound quality. They tend to be overly bright in two channel and to my ear anyway, are not as good as they used to be.

Gotta agree: yammie will not drive the B&W nor dynaudio properly. And every flaw will be audible.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited May 2010
    Options

This.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • concealer404
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Litz wrote: »
    Gotta agree: yammie will not drive the B&W nor dynaudio properly. And every flaw will be audible.

He's not driving the speakers with the Yammer, driving with an Emo.

Should be enough to make any speaker sound pretty harsh. YMMV.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• Litz
    edited May 2010
    Options

I read poorly at 4 am...just resigned from a job that had me on grave shift for about a year. I am now adjusting to diurnal life...just a day or two more and I will have to ability to read posts properly...I swear...:p
  • concealer404
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Litz wrote: »
    I read poorly at 4 am...just resigned from a job that had me on grave shift for about a year. I am now adjusting to diurnal life...just a day or two more and I will have to ability to read posts properly...I swear...:p

It's cool, i can dig that. I'm up by 4:45am most days, and it sucks. I don't really get "with it" until 8 most days. :p

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2010
    Options

agreed.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I caught that he is using the Emo to drive the speakers, but even using the Yammi as a pre is not a very good idea. They work well for what they are(AVR) but are not very good for two channel listening in any aspect. A separate two channel pre with HT bypass and the Emo may work out well.

• Litz
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's cool, i can dig that. I'm up by 4:45am most days, and it sucks. I don't really get "with it" until 8 most days. :p

In my case, I have been just crawling into bed at 8 am for almost a year. It takes a few days for my circaedian rhythm to normalize. I mean hell... 7am was like 7pm to the rest of the people. Except it was time to open a couple beers and watch cartoon network or whatever is on at 7 am...
  • bopicasso
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Emo is not a great amp for audio, I was using one for over a year. I upgraded to the b&k and never looked back. 100 times better!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'll agree that going the used route will grant you more speaker for the money. Towers can get costly new. The older SDA Polks are a safe bet, even the current line of towers can be had in your price range. Aside from that,the possibilities are endless. Dyns, Legacy makes some great towers, Emerald, Def tech...the list can go on and on. Comes down to personal preference. We can no more tell you what you will like than you can guess what car we would like. That Yammie is holding you back some so I would also consider that. Maybe a used pair of older Polks and an upgrade to that yamaha to stay in budget.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I like and use high end Yamaha pre amps from the late eighties to early nineties for 2 channel rigs such as the Yamaha C-85 pre amp. They do an excellent job and can be had at a reasonable price. I think they do a better job than todays Yamaha AVR's as pre amps.
    It may be a good match with your Emotiva.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Bright + Bright = nails on a chalkboard IMHO. If you want to tame an Emo, you will need an overabundance of TUBES!!!