Ads l-810

Options
snow
snow Posts: 4,329
edited May 2010 in Vintage Speakers
I will be picking up a pair of ADS L-810 speakers in the morning it should be interesting to hear how they sound, I have read a lot about the brand but have never heard any models of this brand before. If any of you have, feel free to express your oppinions.

REGARDS SNOW
Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
Post edited by snow on

Comments

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've also heard great things.

Congrats !!!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Some ADS will knock your socks off. I had a pair of L1290 pass through here not long ago. Somebody gave them to me, so I gave them to someone else, but while they were here it was fun. Those things could actually give the AR-9's a slight run for the money in the low end.

I've had a few of their bookshelf designs as well. All very good speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Excellent speakers; smooth and relaxed "British monitor sound", among the least-fatiguing conventional-driver loudspeakers I've ever heard.

For the record I have a pair of L-710s. I bought Polk Monitor 7As back in the late 1970s primarily because I simply couldn't afford the ads speakers.
  • flason
    flason Posts: 278
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I have a pair of L710 in the bedrrom system with an HK930 driving them. Holy cow, this is a nice system. I had a Denon receiver (3600DTS) with NHT 2.5i's in there before and the current system blew the Denon\NHT's away. Not a real bottom end speaker but the bass it plays is smooth. Highs are very detailed and not shrilly. Plus they were a $10 Goodwill find!
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Absolutely one of the great vintage speakers you'll ever hear. IMHO, they show their best playing jazz, and the music of true singer-songwriters. Enjoy!
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2010
    Options
    EDIT: thought better of it...
  • snow
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Some ADS will knock your socks off. I had a pair of L1290 pass through here not long ago. Somebody gave them to me, so I gave them to someone else, but while they were here it was fun. Those things could actually give the AR-9's a slight run for the money in the low end.

I've had a few of their bookshelf designs as well. All very good speakers.
    Wow 1290's big old boys and they look nice to boot :)

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Excellent speakers; smooth and relaxed "British monitor sound", among the least-fatiguing conventional-driver loudspeakers I've ever heard.

For the record I have a pair of L-710s. I bought Polk Monitor 7As back in the late 1970s primarily because I simply couldn't afford the ads speakers.
    Good to hear :)
    flason wrote: »
    I have a pair of L710 in the bedrrom system with an HK930 driving them. Holy cow, this is a nice system. I had a Denon receiver (3600DTS) with NHT 2.5i's in there before and the current system blew the Denon\NHT's away. Not a real bottom end speaker but the bass it plays is smooth. Highs are very detailed and not shrilly. Plus they were a $10 Goodwill find!
    Congrats on the score. I have read a few times where some people preferred the L710 over the L810, they felt the drivers in the L810 overpowered the cabinent and belonged in a larger one.
    markmarc wrote: »
    Absolutely one of the great vintage speakers you'll ever hear. IMHO, they show their best playing jazz, and the music of true singer-songwriters. Enjoy!
    Like an addict I am always looking for a better high :D

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I have L-520's, L-620's, and L9e's that see daily or regular duty here. I'm always on the hunt for more ADS, so if the 810's don't work for you, you know who to PM..
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've even got an itty-bitty pair of L-420s that also have the ads "house sound" and are completey satisfying to listen to. OK, not really itty-bitty... that'd be the ads L-300s, which were among the best (if not the-best) of the late 1970s die-cast cabinet two-way "minispeakers". I wish I had a pair of L-300s...

FWIW, I briefly owned a pair of mid/late 1980s vintage L-780s (similar to the L-710s but with a single woofer); they were not in the same league as the 710s to my ear and I actually sold them (I don't sell much!) rather quickly after I got the L-710s. The L-710s, as faithful readers no doubt recall :-) were a dump find.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I know you'll be happy with the clarity they provide. I have right now the L-710 and L-640's I think. They're side by side and with that the L-640's deeper base compliments the L-710's. I think you will have something along the line of the combination of my two sets. I've also owned the L-1290's( what nice bass they had) but for some reason they didn't come close to providing the clarity of the L-710's. Here's where mine are sitting today.They are up too high for critical listening but I've heard them down low and up high they,re still spectacular.Sitting in the corner really boosts the bass for all I, or anybody would ever need.:cool: The pic of my cd's is to show how high they really are. see the fridge, they're above that.

Enjoy yours, and I know you'll have a new Brand to look out for, for future purchases. You just can't own one set of ADS's, you can't.:p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think you will love the ADS 810's.

I currently have L-810's, L-570's and L-420's.

Recently sold sets of L-620's, and L-520's (and I probably should have kept them).

My advice is to buy and any all ADS speakers if you see them at a reasonable price. They really are jewels in terms of sound quality, build quality, and durability.
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • Timothy Smith
    edited April 2010
    Options
    One more thing: Try them with tube amplification if you can. They are pretty efficient for acoustic suspension designs, and to my ears they really respond to tube equipment.
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I wish I had a pair of L-300s...

Me too. I have a lot of Min-7, including a pair of the wood cabs that I just grabbed last week, but I would like those L-300.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think I had the L-300's in walnut cabinets.Yep, I just checked. :(:(:(Sold them for thirty bucks :(to a guy who bought something else.I paid 40.00 for them at a yard sale.

I was hungry for cash at the time I sold them. He made me some demo discs before he came down from Raleigh that I still use all the time.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2010
    Options
    One more thing: Try them with tube amplification if you can. They are pretty efficient for acoustic suspension designs, and to my ears they really respond to tube equipment.

They are indeed surprisingly efficient (sensitive) and do sound good with, say a push-pull EL84 amplifier. Still, I'd say the better application for 'em is soiled state (but when I listen to 'em at my house, it is almost always with vacuum tube electronics).
  • Timothy Smith
    edited April 2010
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    They are indeed surprisingly efficient (sensitive) and do sound good with, say a push-pull EL84 amplifier. Still, I'd say the better application for 'em is soiled state (but when I listen to 'em at my house, it is almost always with vacuum tube electronics).

On the tube side I fiddle around with a Dynaco ST-70 amp, a Cayin TA-30 integrated amp, and a Grant Fidelity tube buffer, and I always seem to like the combination of ADS speakers and tubes.

On the SS side, I use a Adcom 555 and a Quad 405-2. Previously Citation 16 and Carver TFM-35. All driven with a Forte preamp.

Just curious what SS equipment you have found that works well with ADS speakers?
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Only vintage stuff at my house - the vintage Yamaha is excellent with ads L-710s (vintage Polks, too).

FWIW, not a big (stock) ST-70 fan, but the daily driver in the living room's been an SCA-35 for about a year now.
  • snow
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and responses. Here are a couple of pics. I will try and get the time to hook them up sometime today :D

40918c6ce2.jpg

ea3978b78a.jpg

REGARDS SNOW
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Don't forget to post a quick review..