speaker cone preservative

Tomasito
Tomasito Posts: 142
edited April 2010 in Speakers
Hello,
I tried doing a search on this, but I did not get any results.
Anyways my inquiry is:

Is there a spray available? that can preserve a speaker cone - prevent it from drying out and cracking
Post edited by Tomasito on

Comments

• Tomasito
    edited April 2010
    will it affect the sonic quality of the speaker?
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't use that on vintage Polk speakers...if that's what you're thinking.

The vintage Polk MW's have doped paper cones, and are very durable. They'll last for a very long time. I'm going to guess that the cones surface wouldn't react real favorably with a "preservative".

If your cones are looking dirty, use some Windex and a lint free cloth to clean them up. Windex will get them shining like they're brand new again. Mine get cleaned real well with Windex once every couple months or so. I think they're about due for a cleaning actually...
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited April 2010
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it. Speakers are like people. They age and wear out. Like a rich executive who replaces his aged out wife every decade or so, it is a good idea to replace your speakers every decade. ;)

The midwoofers and passive radiator on my Monitor 7A's are 32 years old, and there's not a single sign of a problem with any of the cones.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Tomasito
    edited April 2010
    I seriously doubt it. Speakers are like people. They age and wear out. Like a rich executive who replaces his aged out wife every decade or so, it is a good idea to replace your speakers every decade. ;)

That means I have to purchase a new set of speakers every 10 years?
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2010
    Tomasito wrote: »
    That means I have to purchase a new set of speakers every 10 years?
    This is extreme-exageretated. Look at Curt's comment below...
    The midwoofers and passive radiator on my Monitor 7A's are 32 years old, and there's not a single sign of a problem with any of the cones.;)
    My own vintage speakers are paper cone and above 30 years old and there are no physical or even sonical reason for me to change the driver's. The only one I change is the mid due to accidental damage and someone had put the wrong driver as a replacement I therefore decided to replace with the proper driver on both speakers. Use judgment when looking and listening to your speakers. If they sound good and you simply want to protect them, by all means however, maybe sample the preservative on a scrap driver first. I an contemplating this product for my vintage as it may isolate the paper cones from airborne humidity or other harmfull effects.

Yes speakers are like people, if you take good care of them they'll grow old and healthy with you!

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2010
    I agree, lots of people have old cones that are still in good shape. I have a set of JBL aquaplas woofers that are 22 years old and look MINT....the main problem? Foam surrounds....got to hate those things--they rot. But that's an easy fix.

They also have a Titanium dome tweeter...not much going to happen there! And a 5" doped midrange, again MINT. No upgrades and they still sound pretty good!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2010
    it is a good idea to replace your speakers every decade. ;)

:rolleyes:Really!!! all the drivers in my house for my SDA's or Monitors are 20+ years old and there is nothing wrong with them. Maybe I'm not getting you comment..:confused:

To the OP just clean with windex and a soft cloth..
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2010
    And thanks for the reminder, Larry. My SDAs are also around that old. The mid-woofers look GREAT...the PR just needs a bit of glue on the edges of the wafer but is otherwise...tight and right...heck the SL2000s (which will be replaced) even look good!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2010
    Unless you own speakers with foam surrounds, you shouldn't have to worry about replacing drivers unless they're overpowered, etc...

Tomasito, what speakers are you thinking about using this on?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • First and foremost, I would stay away from alcohol based sprays and liquids to clean paper cones and other speaker materials. I believe someone commented on using Windex for cleaning cones. Definitely not! Anything alcohol based is going to dry out the material and make it more brittle over time. You are better off using a very light silicone liquid or spray. A silicone that conditions / and shines the cone without weighing it down. You want pliability and strength, not a heavy coating. When applying to any cone, tweeter, etc... be sure to wipe gently with the grain, if there is one, or in a circular motion around the cone.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ^^^ hmmm... a spammer who forgot his/her/their spam links?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited November 2019
    jodepi wrote: »
    First and foremost, I would stay away from alcohol based sprays and liquids to clean paper cones and other speaker materials. I believe someone commented on using Windex for cleaning cones. Definitely not! Anything alcohol based is going to dry out the material and make it more brittle over time. You are better off using a very light silicone liquid or spray. A silicone that conditions / and shines the cone without weighing it down. You want pliability and strength, not a heavy coating. When applying to any cone, tweeter, etc... be sure to wipe gently with the grain, if there is one, or in a circular motion around the cone.

You have no idea of what you're talking about!
    Besides this thread is almost 10yrs. old
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    jodepi wrote: »
    First and foremost, I would stay away from alcohol based sprays and liquids to clean paper cones and other speaker materials. I believe someone commented on using Windex for cleaning cones. Definitely not! Anything alcohol based is going to dry out the material and make it more brittle over time. You are better off using a very light silicone liquid or spray. A silicone that conditions / and shines the cone without weighing it down. You want pliability and strength, not a heavy coating. When applying to any cone, tweeter, etc... be sure to wipe gently with the grain, if there is one, or in a circular motion around the cone.

You have no idea of what you're talking about!

Someone on the internet who has no idea of what [they're] talking about?

yp6cydvclo7x.png
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    What a crock!

NEVER apply silicone anything to your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    s9eeah3ud617.png

I posted this Somewhere Else, but somehow it also seems appropriate here in this thread. I presume the weird silico-post was a spammer who somehow managed to forget to insert his/her/their spam (sorry to be redundant. sorry to be redundant.)

Spam.
    wurst.

see what I did there?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Have to cryo freeze them
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.