speaker matching

Options
djflash22
djflash22 Posts: 7
edited November 2003 in Speakers
i currently have the rm6000 sub/sat system and just bought a new receiver with 7.1. i have the option to buy 2 rm6200 satellites for very cheap. since these are both in the rm line will they work together as far as timber matching goes?
Post edited by djflash22 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yes,
    polk makes all there lines timber matched(of the same line).Get em.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • awilki01
    awilki01 Posts: 12
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Can someone explain this timber matching thing to me???
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Timbre matching means using matching speakers from the same model group to obtain the best possible sound from a surround sound system. Basically you don't want to mix and match different speaker types because the sound from each will have it's own character. More often than not timbre matching relies on having identical tweeters in all of your surround speakers. Subwoofers have no bearing on timbre matching whatsoever.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Found this definition at:
    http://www.digitalprosound.com/Features/2000/Aug/FullCov.htm

Timbre matching
    Using all of the same loudspeakers in a home theater system is the optimum setup in order to achieve the best timbre matching, which is a term used to indicate that each loudspeaker in a home theater system has the same sound characteristics and, therefore, sound equivalent. The advantage of a timbre-matched home theater system is that you get a sense of audio realism, almost like actually being there. The loudspeakers seem to disappear into sort of an audio transparency. When this happens the user's attention is drawn to the presentation itself. One of my favorite effects is when horizontal audio pans invoke a seamless transition from loudspeaker to loudspeaker.

It is possible to have timbre matching with different types of loudspeakers as long as the midrange and tweeter tonal characteristics are similar. It is much more difficult, however, to have timbre matching at low frequencies when using the same loudspeakers because of room loading and reflection effects. Using the test tone supplied with most home-theater receivers is a convenient way to check for timbre matching among loudspeakers. If the front main and center channel loudspeakers in your system sound similar at mid and high frequencies, consider the system timbre matched. If differences are noticeable, and you are using loudspeakers with the same type of drivers in them, try matching the volume levels between the loudspeakers or repositioning them to aim toward the listening position. If you still have dramatic sound character differences among the loudspeakers, then some room acoustic treatments may be needed in order to eliminate some mid- and high-frequency reflections.

By the way it's pronounced "tamber".