2nd Annual Texas Polk Gathering

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
I guess it's 'that time' again fellow Polk enthusiasts.

I'll be hosting this year at my home (McKinney, TX). As usual, a good selection of classic and modern Polks will be available for demos, along with a variety of other speakers, solid state and tube gear. A minimum of 4 demo rooms will be setup, mix and match gear as you see fit.

We will also have on hand cables and interconnects from several manufacturers, and can even perform a true double-blind test (on a couple willing volunteers).

Food and drink will be provided, along with GREAT goodies from none-other than Polk Audio. You WILL NOT want to miss the prize drawing at this one, that's all I can say. I'm talking with other sponsors for other prizes also - but EVERYONE will go home with SOMETHING.

There will also be a swap meet, so bring those speakers / amps/ media that are collecting dust and sell or trade them. I'll have some gear up for grabs on the cheap, with proceedes being donated to the American Heart Association, in the memory of Shane Mann.

Lets plan for a 'Saturday' main event day, but early arrivers Friday night are welcomed and encouraged. I can make sleeping arrangements for whatever is needed - don't sweat it.

TWO THINGS:

What date(s) are you open?
What media / gear / cables / speakers can you bring?

Edit: just want to be clear you don't HAVE to bring anything, feel free to just show up.

JAN 24th WILL BE THE DATE OF THE MEET.

After a few responses, I'll get an email list setup to keep everyone updated.

Cheers,
Russ

Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2003
    Either day would work for me, all I have are some boring old RT800's, CSi40, and FXi50. All my cableing is stuck in wall or under the floor so I wouldn't be able to pull it.

Also, I live in Richardson so let me know if you need any help.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    Good deal, nothing boring about 800's. At the minimum YOU will get to hear how they sound on different amps.

Keep checking back here for updates, glad you are aboard!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2003
    I am certainly interested, but good lord is that a long drive :)

Let me know what I can do for out of state support. I have some interconnects, Signal/Monster Cable I-400/AQ Diamondback that you could use for demo's.

I will also get some things from Sprint, for raffle/give away, so you could say that Sprint PCS is a sponsor :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2003
    where is McKinney, TX? I'm in Austin. I might be up for this assuming I'm not driving all the way to Lubbock or El Paso.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2003
    Hmmm... when are we talking as far as dates? More than likely I won't be able to make it until after December 13th.

PhantomOG, McKinney is where FIS is, so you can get tuned/dyno'd as well ;)

I can bring that 2ch Arcam A65Plus again, and some PSB Alpha B's that compete very well with the RTi35(ish) line.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2003
    I'm gonna be out that way for Christmas to see the fam again in Frisco, but I don't think that I'm gonna be around by the 10th.

MAYBE do a quick return (closer to Jan1 would be better, but probably not ideal for everyone else), but not sure as of yet.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2003
    Geesh, it's probably a 10 minute drive for me.:rolleyes: I suppose I could even bring the LS90's/CS350/CS400i on over if there's some interest in those speakers. As of now, I'm good for the 10th or the 24th.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Russ,

Very cool for you to set this up.

Slight preference for the 24th here (more healing time from shoulder surgery), but can likely make either.

Friday arrival doable to help as needed.

Will PM a list of gear I can bring for playtime.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2003
    It'd be a pretty good drive for me (yes, that's Paris ARKANSAS), but I'd sure like to make it. 24th looks better, at this point, but with my work schedule I find it difficult to plan things that far ahead. I'd have to be an "overnighter", if I'm able to attend.

Maybe I could bring a couple of my DIY projects if I can get them wrapped up by then, and if everyone would promise in advance not to laugh too hard.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    Jcaut - You should definetly try and bring some DIY to that gathering. There won't be a soul present, that will laugh at your stuff. It should be a great time.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I am certainly interested, but good lord is that a long drive :)

Why not fly to KCI and we'll drive down to Tejas together?

8 to 9 hrs on the road which is no problem at all. You could probably bag a round trip ticket for next to nothing at this point?

I have an old pair of RTA8T's I could bring along or perhaps a Cal Audio CL-20 and an Audio Research DAC5...

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    I will look into that Henry, good idea.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited November 2003
    Hmm, maybe we should make this a National meet ;)

I kinda feel obligated to bring more stuff now. hahaha

Maybe my LSi9s will make an appearance.

I'll also have my Zapco/Polk outfitted car out there!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    This is moving along very nicely guys.

The consensus seems to be Jan 24th. That will be the date.

I'll be gathering your email addy's, and start the group email with updates.

Steve, I would GREATLY appreciate it if you *could* bring a pair of LSi - I think they need to be in the lineup - and I don't have any procured yet.

On another note, we could use a couple good 2ch sources - basically a cd/dvd player that has decent 2ch cd capabilties. That's the one thing I'm *thin* on at the moment.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • HBombToo
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

On another note, we could use a couple good 2ch sources - basically a cd/dvd player that has decent 2ch cd capabilties. That's the one thing I'm *thin* on at the moment.

Cheers,
    Russ

If for some reason I can't make it I can always ship my CL-20 and AR DAC5 with XLR connectivity.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    If you can't make it Henry - that would be very kind.

UPDATE - I've spoken with Micah, and we have 'official' Polk support on this one - it's going to be GREAT, and a couple lucky members are going to be VERY happy.

Don't prod me for info on that front, it's a SUPRISE.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    Jcaut send me your email addy por favor.

russcgates@comcast.net
  • Steve@3dai
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    T

I will talk to Audio Systems here in Austin and see if we can borrow a badass CD/DVD player :)

An Arcam DV88 would make me dr00l, $2500 for that one!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2003
    I can show up on the 24th around 6pm. What kind of hours are you thinking about running?
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2003
    RUSSMAN'S HOUSE OF MONKEY LOVE

Open 24-7
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    Actually, I had imagined some of the out-of-towners would want to be wrapped up by then.

I was thinking a 10-4 (round about) deal on Saturday. but I'm sure there will be a couple 'hanger ons' towards the end.

24-7? Well...I mean, I like you guys and all, but much more would be overkill. ;)

I'm hoping most out-of-towners can arrive Friday afternoon/evening, and get F out Saturday night. That way, I can air out my house out so it doesn't smell like foot-n-**** all day Sunday.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Polk-a-nizer
    Polk-a-nizer Posts: 225
    edited November 2003
    Yo Russ I would love to be there man. Don't really have anything to bring though, seeing as how I'm just getting into HT myself. But it will be great oppurtunity to see some of the gangs setups. AWESOME. But that is kind've a drive for me. I'm in Albany, GA. May have to come out on Friday or something. I'll get a map........:D
    ††Polk-A-Nizer~~Ulrich††
    Nizer The Wizer
    "I can blast my Polks longer and they keep getting stronger!"
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    I want to be the guy who visits, and gets a restraining order because he won't leave.

Can I bring my Parrots?

Nevermind, that was my invisible friend.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    HAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2003
    Sounds like it's going to be a really great event. I'm looking forward to hearing all the bloody details! Have fun guys!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • HBombToo
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by dorokusai

Nevermind, that was my invisible friend.

The Twin showed up just prior to puberty:D

I may be able to reserve a few rooms at the Embassy Sites...

They owe me Doro...;)

1/4Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    The Twin showed up just prior to puberty:D

I may be able to reserve a few rooms at the Embassy Sites...

They owe me Doro...;)

1/4Twin

A few rooms? You think my harem is that big? Thanks man, you are full of flattery ;)

The only problem with harems....is that they are all animals....damnit, I wish I could get some humans.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited November 2003
    Make sure to pick out certain tracks of CDs and DVDs that you want to hear/watch.

Key to any demo, get material you are super familiar with.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2003
    The lovely Wendi and I are tentatively planning on making the trip. If we fly, I won't be able to bring any gear but can bring some demo material.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut