Crazy idea here, anyone tried it?

MCCLIPSE
MCCLIPSE Posts: 176
edited February 2011 in Custom Fabrication
Hey, this could be a stupid question but I got some Pink Panther R-13 fiberglass batt for cheap at Home Depot and I was thinking about putting this under my existing vinyl floor in my GMC Sierra as a sound barrier. It would go above my sound damper and between the stock jute and vinyl floor. Nobody has seemed to try this as a sound barrier and I'm not totally sure why. It seems like it will block road noise very well. My question is is this a terrible idea? Will I be choked out from the fiberglass smell or something? Does it not work in a vehicle application? Any ideas?
Truck system so far...

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic TC-P50G25 50" Plasma
Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
XBOX 360 250GB
Harman/Kardon HK3480(on loan)
Monitor 70 Series II
Post edited by MCCLIPSE on

Comments

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited March 2010
    You will have to compress it so much it will lose most of it's insulation properties. Better to use a dense foam.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • MCCLIPSE
    edited March 2010
    is it dangerous or anything like that? What I bought is 3.5" thick so it won't compress much. It was $9 bucks so I figure I'll try it and see what difference it makes.
    Truck system so far...

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited March 2010
    I would not do that. You don't won't fiberglass insulation floating around in your truck. Also if it gets wet you will have a big mess on your hands. Just use the stuff designed for automotive enviroments. Sometimes cheap is not good and this is one of those times..
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2010
    That is not a good sound deading material when compressed. Glass only passes vibrations along unless it stays in the fluffed state. Then you need alot of it for sound deading. Again, when wet, you'll have floor rot in no time.
    Try a junk yard for scrap floorboard insulation. It might be real cheap.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • MCCLIPSE
    edited March 2010
    Alright, I think I've been talked out of the insulation. What about the carpet underlayment material that Home Depot and Lowe's sells. It looks and feels like the factory jute material. I've read on other websites that its an effective barrier/absorber. It would also get moldy if it gets wet but so would the stock jute that GM put in so I'm not too worried about it. I have a vinyl floor so it's not like my floor gets that wet unless I were to actually start pouring water onto it.
    Truck system so far...

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2010
    Now that's a plausable idea for sure. Should be cheap too.;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • MCCLIPSE
    edited March 2010
    yeah, I'll do that this weekend and post pics of the install. Thanks for the input guys.
    Truck system so far...

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2010
    r-13 in the truck hmmmm doesnt sounds like it gonna work too well ... youd be better served going to the auto apolstery shop and ask for carpet padding
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • MCCLIPSE
    edited March 2010
    r-13 in the truck hmmmm doesnt sounds like it gonna work too well ... youd be better served going to the auto apolstery shop and ask for carpet padding

Yeah, I've changed my mind as mentioned in the earlier posts. I'm gonna do some carpet backing similar to the fibrouis jute that's already in the truck.
    Truck system so far...

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • MCCLIPSE
    edited March 2010
    Well, did the deed this weekend. I ended up using carpet foam padding from Home Depot along with some cheap sound deadener stuff I got from work to dampen the metal. I also remounted the amp and recarpeted my back wall cause I ruined the stock carpeting back there with some haphazard cutting. I can tell a difference even though it's much less drastic then when I did my doors. I can definitely hear more road noise coming from the b-pillar area now since it's the only place I haven't treated with anything yet (other than the ceiling). Overall I'm happy with the results but I'll admit that I should have just waited and got the mass loaded vinyl instead. I probably would have gotten more noticeable results using MLV but oh well.
    Truck system so far...

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2011
    Reported
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben