Polk SDA2b's and carvers. Help

Options
warlocks1
warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
I purchased a pair of SDA 2's and want to try them out vs my RTA15tl's. I was reading old threads here about SDA's and came across the common ground issue. Currently, I have 3 Carver tfm15cb's bridged (280 watts) for my fronts, a carver m1.5t (200 watts) for my sides and a carver m500 (non t)(250 watts) for my rears. I read that you can't use bridged amps, so I will have to switch them around. Does anyone know if the 1.5t or the m500 are common ground amps? I have the manual for the 1.5t and it mentions use with common ground speakers systems, (and potential problems) but doesn't say if the amp is common ground. I can't find the manual for the m500. I have a couple of Adcom 555's laying around I can use. Please advise. Thanks, Jeff
Post edited by warlocks1 on

Comments

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey Jeff, no idea on the carvers even though i have owned those before. If you are interested in doing an A-B review of the thx 1000 speaker cables you bought recently I would be interested to see if they really made much of a difference
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hopefully, I will be receiving the cables today. I really don't expect to hear any difference, but I will let you know.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    wl1,
    Consider buying one of these off har. They'll keep your bridged TFM's in play...
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12953

If you want to go with another choice...
    George Grant, who I believe rep'd Carver once upon a time, has consistently said that the M-1.5t is the only non-common ground design of the old Carvers...
    I have said the M-500t was the only non-common ground based on information when I bought one new, and returned it for a 1.5t, that I was told was common ground.
    Less than a month ago, I called Carver (Sunfire) CS and they said says all the old "M's" were common ground...

I do know that I used a 1.5 to run my SDA SRS's for over a decade, with no issues. Being as it is your strongest stereo amp, I'd suggest trying it first if you're not going to go the har route...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD