dant Posts: 8
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
________
Post edited by dant on

Comments

• GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited October 2003
    Minwax makes a product called High Performance Wood Filer. It's a 2 part epoxy type of filler that dries hard as a rock and can be painted.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Need to get F1's attention here, but I would think you'd want to strip the veneer, repair the MDF and then re-apply veneer.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • katya
    katya Posts: 32
    edited October 2003
    I second to Tour2ma's strip the veneer, repair the MDF and then re-apply veneer.

Or sell it and buy new one.

Katya
    My Polk Audio Speakers are:
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2003
    Dan,

You got my attention. What color is the case? What is the material (real wood veneer or vinyl) and what does it look like, oak? Are the dents on the sharp edge or just near the edge? How deep and how many are they? Can you post a pic or email me one or two?

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dant
    dant Posts: 8
    edited October 2003
    F1, the case is black oak, most likley a veneer with wood grain and the dents are on the sharp corner and are about 1/8 inch deep.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2003
    Dan,

Ok, it should be a fairly simple fix. Get a product called Quickwood epoxy putty at www.woodcraft.com. You knead it together using a little water so it doesn't stick to your fingers. When it's mixed, put just enough in the dents to fill them. Try to remove the excess with a putty knife, wetting it first before you draw it away from the edge. You can also use a single edge razor blade to "cut" the excess away. Working on an edge like that can be a little tricking, so do whatever works best for you. You want to leave a little more rather than a little less as you want to sand it smooth when it dries. The stuff gets hard after an hour, but wait 24hrs. before sanding. Lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper until smooth. Try to only sand the putty and not too much of the case. You can tape off around the dents with "blue" masking tape to help with that.

Now comes the tricky part, color matching. I would use black furniture power in a medium, but in your case I would either spray the case (after taping off everything you don't want to paint) with Krylon Semi-Flat black spray paint, only use Krylon......nothing else will do. That should get you very close to the original color and sheen. The other choice would be to spray the paint into the cap (to get a liquid) and use a fine tip artist brush to "paint" in the repairs.

Let me know if you've got anymore questions and good luck.

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk