Battlefield Bad Company 2

Comments

• lwright84
    lwright84 Posts: 37
    edited February 2010
    I posted this in the MW2 thread, but figured some others here might benefit from it:

I played MW2 last night for the first time in a week (BC2 demo servers were down unfortunately).. I don't think I can ever enjoy that game anymore now, lol. The SP and SpecOps are excellent and well worth the time, but the multiplayer not only promotes but REWARDS self-centered gameplay and ridiculous tactics. Plus the maps are small, contained "arenas" with no depth and of course there are no vehicles or special weapons. Combined with fantasy perks, no real depth for upgrading individual weapons or abilities, and an absolutely insane amount of cheats, exploits, and glitches.. I'd say that the bucket of fun that MW2 was (and for awhile it most certainly was) has officially run out!

Amazon is offering $35 trade-in value for MW2 plus a $20 credit towards a future game purchase for pre-ordering BC2. That means I get a 70% return for my money on MW2, BC2 delivered to my door on the day it releases for FREE, plus the next $60 game I want will only cost me $5.

Boom.. done deal.
    My Home Theater: :cool:
    Display: 65" Mitsubishi WD65C9 DLP
    A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-888
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s
    Center: Polk Audio CS1
    Rears: Polk Audio R300s
    Sub: BIC Venturi V1020
    HDP: 80GB PS3
    Cable: AT&T Uverse HD
    HTPC: Dell Precision 380 (Win7 Ultimate x64)

Who brought me here?
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited March 2010
    Is anyone playing this on 360? It looks very good and I would like to hear from others on the 360 before purchasing. Someone let me know something, thanks.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2010
    I played it for about 2 hours last night (on X360). Default Brightness and Contrast (at 50 out of 100) need to be adjusted significantly on my Sony KDS-55A3000. Once I did that, graphics look pretty good and clean. Control is a bit ackward, takes time to get used to, compared to MW2, which is a lot more logical (at least in my mind and my son). Overall, it didn't give me the same excitement and intensity as MW2. I still need to get used to it. Sound quality is not as exciting as MW2, a bit choppy sometimes.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • lwright84
    edited March 2010
    polkatese wrote: »
    I played it for about 2 hours last night (on X360). Default Brightness and Contrast (at 50 out of 100) need to be adjusted significantly on my Sony KDS-55A3000. Once I did that, graphics look pretty good and clean. Control is a bit ackward, takes time to get used to, compared to MW2, which is a lot more logical (at least in my mind and my son). Overall, it didn't give me the same excitement and intensity as MW2. I still need to get used to it. Sound quality is not as exciting as MW2, a bit choppy sometimes.

Set your audio options to 'Home Cinema'.. the sound design of BC2 is miles above MW2 in practically every aspect. Definitely agree about the bright\contrast aspects, I could barely play the night or jungle map until I made adjustments (part of that is playing on a Mitsu DLP with settings adjusted for Blurays I'm sure). Also agree that controls take a bit to get used to coming from the smoothness of MW2.. but once you do it's great!

Who brought me here?
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2010
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Is anyone playing this on 360? It looks very good and I would like to hear from others on the 360 before purchasing. Someone let me know something, thanks.

I ordered it from Amazon because they're STILL giving a $20 credit on it which in hindsight kind of tells you something. After I started to read the reviews on IGN from the press and users I cancelled the order. I tried to give the demo another shot, but the reviews echoed my gripes with the demo that I thought I could get over. In reality the game is way too choppy for me and the party chat problem is strange, too. As someone who enjoys tactical shooters....this isn't that game. Wait for the next Rainbow Six game to come out if you want that.

I can see it being a game that you play once or twice and then it sits on the shelf forever.

If you get it let me know. I'm sure you'll give an honest opinion on it but make sure you check out the demo first if it's still available.

I pre-ordered Final Fantasy XIII today in place of it.
  • lwright84
    edited March 2010
    Huh? The reviews of the game are solidly high.. and IGN should certainly not be any conclusive measure of a game or its merits.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/battlefieldbadcompany2?q=battlefield bad company 2

Also the Amazon $20 credit shouldnt tell you anything, as it's solely Amazon's marketing.

Who brought me here?
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2010
    Uh oh, a differing opinion. Might as well get mad about it like it's going to change anything! :)

I played the demo and didn't like it.
    I played it again at the recommendation of others and still didn't like it for the same reasons.

I was getting a little bored with the games I have now so I ordered it thinking the $20 credit would make it worth it. I read several reviews and noticed several of them mentioning the same issues that drove me to have the negative opinion of the demo I played and decided to cancel my order.

I didn't say the reviews were bad so that's you being defensive.

I do read into what Amazon is doing. Amazon usually offers the credits on PRE-SALES. Since they're still offering it a day after the game is out that tells me something.

I'm really happy that you love the game. I am only posting to advise a friend that asked a question. :)
  • lwright84
    edited March 2010
    Not mad at all, just confused as to why someone would cancel a pre-order on a great game with exceptional gameplay and a great reward offer (the $20 credit) because of something sparked by an IGN review. :P I'm not being offensive, no need to be defensive. :)

I think the Amazon thing is probably a mistake, or an attempt to continue strong sales and\or grab some of the bite back from all the Gamestop pre-order bonus stuff that certainly stole some thunder.

Who brought me here?
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2010
    OK, cool.

You might be right about that. Might still get it after all if some folks I know have it and say they really like it. :)
  • lwright84
    edited March 2010
    You know me now, and I love it! Don't miss MW2 for a second. :D

Who brought me here?
  • polkatese
    edited March 2010
    Rainbow Six sequel is coming up? when?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2010
    polkatese wrote: »
    Rainbow Six sequel is coming up? when?

I didn't mean to insinuate there would be one, sorry.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier will be out towards the end of this year, though.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2010
    Anyone else playing this on PC?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • polkatese
    edited March 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I didn't mean to insinuate there would be one, sorry.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier will be out towards the end of this year, though.

you got me excited there for a second Demi. np. :)

I love GR too..so, thanks!
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2010
    Haha, I think I got myself excited. I love most of the TC games.

I'm looking forward to the new Splinter Cell.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited March 2010
    I looked online last night for a Demo but only found the older one. Locally the game is regular price so before I go out and spend the coin I'd like to know if it is really worth it you know.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • lwright84
    edited March 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    As someone who enjoys tactical shooters....this isn't that game.

While it's certainly no R6, SC, or GR.. it's definitely much more tactical than every other FPS on the market AFAIK. It's much more tactical than MW2 and similar FPS'. I think if you enjoy tactics\strategy with your action than you will enjoy BC2, but if youre looking for a much greater focus on tactics rather than action I could see how you'd be disappointed.

Who brought me here?
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited March 2010
    I decided I'm going to pick this up sometime in the next few days, although I won't have much time on it for the next 2 weeks or so. I'm about burned out by MW2 and want a new multiplayer game.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2010
    Face wrote: »
    Anyone else playing this on PC?

Yes sir. It's a console port so it has its shortcomings but much better game than MW2 is. It's still no BF2 replacement due to small maps, only 16x16, and lack of air battles. It has heli but with lousy physics and the game doesn't support joysticks well, I think the joystick section is more of a console joypad type of thing rather than joystick.

Graphics are amazing. 1920x1080, everything on high, and it's running 100fps of eye candy. YMWW on the framerate, very CPU intensive game. Will benefit greatly from quad core CPU which was a very pleasant surprise.
  • shepx2
    edited March 2010
    I picked this up and played through the first few single player levels. Definitely a change of pace from MW2. Story isn't great, but the interplay between the characters is fantastic. Graphics aren't as fluid as MW2 (on xbox; I'm sure the PC kicks ****), but the audio rocks.

So far, I like it. I won't give my final verdict until I give the multiplayer a whirl for a while.
  • Sami
    edited March 2010
    shepx2 wrote: »
    Graphics aren't as fluid as MW2 (on xbox; I'm sure the PC kicks ****), but the audio rocks.

I can't comment on the XBox version but on PC this game demands a lot from the CPU if you're running at high resolutions. At 1080p it looks beautiful but you better have a machine that can run it.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2010
    I played this till 4 hours straight last night, what a blast!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2010
    I really like this game. Great mix up from MW2. I personally like the story better, and the characters. I really enjoyed the engrossing multiplayer. If I didn't have a kid, I would buy it for sure. I could see myself sinking some serious time into the online component.
  • Sami
    edited March 2010
    Face wrote: »
    I played this till 4 hours straight last night, what a blast!

Post your gamer tags here so we play online:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62643
  • shepx2
    edited March 2010
    So, I played the multiplayer for a few hours last night. Verdict: it's pretty kick-**** if you are ok with a slightly slower pace than COD. It's especially fun if you have a squad that talks and works with each other.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2011
    I played through the singleplayer campaign on this when it came out and loved it, but couldn't connect online at school. At home over break, I finally managed to play online and I'm loving it! I'm not exactly doing great, but I started probably around 4 this morning and am working my way towards level three.

It's definitely great fun!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • juliagana
    juliagana Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Thanks a lot for the information
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2011
    Spam Reported.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited February 2011
    Finally used my $20 black ops game credit and decided on getting this (finally). I played a bit of the campaign to get used to the controls before jumping into multiplayer and I'm really enjoying it. The first jungle level was a little too call of duty for me, but the following level was a blast. And can't forget the sound effects, which is one of the best I've heard, period.

Anyways, if any of you want to take a break from black ops, we could try to put a game together, since this game is more team oriented.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited April 2011
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but HTguru and I both recently picked this game up and I wanted to see if anyone else still plays this? I played a couple games with Ohskigod the other day and really enjoyed rush mode. I was hoping to get a few other polkies back into this game . Thanks!