RTi70

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
I'm not sure if this is normal, but when you push lightly on one of the mid/bass drivers of my RTi70's there is a rubbing or scratching sort of noise. Is there a problem with my speaker?

Gerald Lemay
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Not normal, you need a replacement driver.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• glemay
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Will the speaker sound diffrent because of this rubbing when I play music or movies?
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • glemay
    edited October 2003
    Options
    NOTE: This only happens on the two top mid/bass drives when I push unevenly on them. But sometimes even when I push evenly it also happens. Is there any way to verify this?
    Main System:

Second System:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited October 2003
    Options
    First, why are you pushing on your drivers? Second, how to they sound? If everything sounds ok, then leave them alone and enjoy your music. If something doesn't sound right, then you've got blown drivers......don't turn it up as high next time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• glemay
    edited October 2003
    Options
    F1nut,

The only reason I was pushing on the driver was becasue I read somewhere in the forum of somebody blowing their voice coil due to a bad amp. When I first got my RTi70`s I was running them with a POS amp. So I pushed on the drivers to see if there was a rubbing noise, and to my discovery I heard the rubbing noise, but not every time. What is going on? They sound fine, I think, don`t really know what they should sound like with a blown voice coil.
    Main System:

Second System:
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    they will sound somewhat scratchy, after all its a copper coil rubbing on a metal sleeve... Its when it sounds like sand, or crackley sand paper, rough when you push it in and out.. and it sometimes wont push in all the way.. and never push in and out at an angle or you will damage them all by yourself doing that.. or lock them up half way in, I bet their fine unless you hear the sound at high volumes then they might be blown
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Let me echo faster here...

First, the threads you've read about pushing it drivers have been in response to posts where someone suspects he has a problem based on what he has heard coming from a speaker or speakers. If you are not hearing a problem, then you likely do not have one.

Second, any test pushing is always done with equal pressure around the outer edge of the cone. Unequal pressure is going to misalign the movement and produce noise. It is not a valid test since what you are testing for is separated, or "dropped", voice coil that has gone out of alignment.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • glemay
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I just did as you guys mentioned and listened closely to my speakers and did not hear any harsh sounds or anything. I would have done it last night but everyone was sleeping.

Ah, that makes me feel better, knowing that my RTi70's are O.K.:)
    Main System:

Second System: