Setup with no sub

Options
torotot
torotot Posts: 16
I have the Panasonic SC-HT400 Receiver shown in the link below. I also have the RTi6 for fronts, CSi3 for center and the stock surrounds that came with the Panasonic package.

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/audio/hometheatre/scht400.asp

I finally bought the PSW404 subwoofer. I noticed that I do not have the SUB OUT RCA on the receiver. I only have one speaker out for the subwoofer so I have connected this to 1 of the 2 speaker inputs of the subwoofer. Is this the best way to hook the system up?

What is the optimum cut off frequency for the front speakers (RTi6)?
Post edited by torotot on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You only have one choice - speaker level connection.

I would imagine the Panny AVR does all the bass management and blends the subwoofer XO with the rest of the channels. It is probably around 150 Hz.

I would not use the filter on the subwoofer; set it to the highest setting and let the Panny figure out the rest.

A better AVR will have more conventional BM and will allow you to get more from your Polk speakers and 404 sub.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What is "one speaker out for the subwoofer"? Isn't this the sub out RCA? I am confused.
    Graham
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It's an unpowered subwoofer that the receiver powers with a 6th channel from its amp.

So you connect it like a regular speaker.

The RCA connection uses a low voltage (millivolt) signal to the subwoofer's separate amplifier.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks Doc , I understand now. I hadn't heard of this before.
    Graham