PSW 404 popping banging sound

Options
WopOnTour
WopOnTour Posts: 3
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hi All
I hope this forum might be able to help me.
After a ton of research last April I bought a set of Rm6700s with PSW404. Right from the start I LOVED IT THIS SUBWOOFER!

In fact it had been performing admirably until recently when I upgraded my HTS to a Sony DA4ES. At first everything was cool and I was AMAZED how much better the 6700s sounded with a half decent amp. (my old system was just basic Pro-Logic)

I never touched the subwoofer setings, I just left them where the PSW404 manual recommended and it sounded fine- no BETTER than fine, until this week.

We were watching Matrix REloaded and in one very active passage with a lot of bass the subwoofer started banging and popping. I immediately turned down the volume. But now whenever I replay that same passage or ANY passage with a fair bit of bass I hear this bad sounding noise from the sub. The only thing that makes it stop is if I turn down the power on the back of the unit to levels that are so low you can barely even hear it!

Did I blow the sub-woofer? If so how can this be? I llike my bass but I was hardly pushing it. Can there be something in certain movie tracks (Matrix Unloaded?) that are so low in bass they can damage the sub?

Please help

Thanks in advance
Alan
Post edited by WopOnTour on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sounds blown.

PS: It is reloaded ;)

PSS: Call Ken at CS, it is on the home page under contact - gl!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • WopOnTour
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the response

So do you think it was some sort of ultra low frequency from the MATRIX RELOADED? It has NEVER given me any problems before. DId I need to make particular settings on my new Sony DA4ES? (I have left everything at DEFAULT at this point.)

Regards
    WOT
    lol - Oh I get it - REloaded not UNloaded
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Matrix Reloaded does not have a lot of ultra low frequencies.

What is does have is a lot of ultra LOUD stuff in the 35-40 Hz region - just the ticket for blowing a sub.

Which is exactly what you did.

Ken Swauger will send you a new driver.

After that, either keep the sub level down, or buy another 404 and stack em, or buy a stronger sub.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hello Alan,
    Thanks for participating in the Club Polk Forum. I'm sorry you're having problems with the PSW404, but I'm sure I can help. If you can, telephone me at 1-800-377-7655 extension 891 or email me at kswauger@polkaudio.com and we can get you "woofing" again.
    Regards, Ken
  • WopOnTour
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!
    Now that I have contacted Ken S and have a new driver for my sub-woofer on the way I must say this firum tuned a very bad situation into a very positive experience (despite being without my sub for a few days)
    Couldn't have done it without you all
    Many Thanks
    WopOnTour