RTi28 vs RTi38 ? My amp is 150w/channel

Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
edited October 2003 in Speakers
My Pioneer Spec 4 power-amp is rated at [150w/channel].

I purchased a set of RTi70s for the fronts, a set of RTi38s for the rears and a Rava [powered] subwoofer.

The reason I bought the 38s for the rears speakers is that the recommended Amplifier Power is 20-150 w/channel.

The 28s recommended Amplifier Power is only 20-125 w/channel.

The speakers are still in the box. I am starting to think that the 38s may be awfully big to be placed on speaker stands.

Do you think I should send back the 38s and get the smaller 28s?

I'm a little worried that I may overpower the smaller 28s.

I don't know what to do. Right now this system is for audio only and is not going to be used as a home theater setup.

Thanks,
Ron
2-Channel Audio
Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2003
    I think you'd be fine with the 28's. It's having too little power that kills speakers, rarely does "brute force" harm speakers as long as it's clean power.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2003
    Rti28's are rated at 89dB (assuming 1watt@1meter)
    So given that you must double wattage to increase level by 3dB:

Output
    Wattage required
    89dB
    1watt
    92dB
    2 watts
    95dB
    4 watts
    98dB
    8 watts
    101dB
    16 watts
    104db
    32 watts
    107dB
    64 watts
    110dB
    128 watts
    113dB
    256 watts

You could drive the Rti-28's "cleanly" to about 111dB's SPL (pretty damn loud) before you might experience clipping distortion in your Pioneer. It's my guess that Polk is recommending a 125 watt amp because they want to limit output to 110dB.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2003
    I have heard both, and think the RTi38 is a much fuller sounding speaker. It is a given, since the enclosure is larger, but you get the point. There are stands with larger bases for the speaker available as an option. I wouldn't base the return simply on a stand.

Power wise, either one is fine. They will handle that power and should distort before they get damaged.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcorrea
    dcorrea Posts: 80
    edited October 2003
    I placed my RTi-38s in the rear and they are on speaker stands. The stands I bought are here. Omnimount A/H 400 . I think they compliment the 38's nicely and they are a strong sturdy stand.
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
    Polk FXi-30 (have nowhere to put them just yet)
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2003
    If the 28's are a must for you the power diff is not going to be an issue as a surround speaker. Ron, I have barely broken in rt25i's if you want to trade. I have them hanging on the walls with brackets.
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited October 2003
    Well, thanks for all the replies. Maybe I will just stick them on the stands and see how they work out. I just hope they are not too big.
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited October 2003
    Hang them on the wall then.....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.