LSi and ?

Options
Soccerplyr
Soccerplyr Posts: 160
edited October 2003 in Electronics
My friends father decided to build a dedicated hometheater room. I've convinced him to buy a full set of LSi speakers. He's got about $1000 to buy a receiver and I'm was hoping for some input on which to buy. Currently he's thinking of an Onkyo TXSR-800 (likes my 700, but wants 7.1).
Thanks
Jeff
Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
Harmony Hub
Sony VLP-HW40ES
Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
Oppo BDP-103
Music Hall MMF 2.1
Polk LSiM 705
Polk LSiM704c
Polk LSiM702F/X
SVS PB-2000
Post edited by Soccerplyr on

Comments

• Soccerplyr
    edited April 2003
    Options
    that's exactly what I said (Rotel). I think the he has some hook-up with the 800 thats why he wants it. He seems pretty open to my suggestions and the money appears to be no problem. The $1000 price range I feel was just a round figure so $200 shouldn't be to hard of an upgrade.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Chech out this thread...need juice for new LSi's..which amp? in this forum.
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I agree with ATC here. I love the new 1055. It's a great home theater reciever that does 5.1 out the box and is upgradeble to 7.1 with an external amp.

If the person in question is set on the Onk 800, I honestly doubt it will have sufficent power to drive a full LSi speaker series to they're full potential. Chances are, he'll have to buy some external amps to drive the mains and center channel, which will easily put the cost of the entire system well over the cost of the Rotel 1055. I picked mine up for $1150 including tax (demo unit). It can be had (new) for $1250 including tax.

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • rickfaldo
    rickfaldo Posts: 49
    edited April 2003
    Options
    This is an old horse we are beating. LSi speakers and Onkyo/Integra, and the others mentioned above are not, I repeat, not compatible. The 4 ohm and under requirements of the LSi will "kill" the Onkyo. That is an observation, not speculation. If you check earlier postings on this forum, you will see a lengthy discussion on this matter. Rotel is your best bet, and this is not from observation but others observations. Otherwise you will be joining my club of now deciding whether to start over or add a power amp and go from there.
    Good luck
    Rick
  • Soccerplyr
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thank you all. He felt that he needed more opinions then my own (I think he might of thought i was BSing him)and after everyones responses he's not going to get the Onkyo. Felt a little underhanded doing it, but when you want to prove a point sometimes you have to beat a dead horse.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gshisme
    Chech out this thread...need juice for new LSi's..which amp? in this forum.

???
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Soccerplyr
    Your not beating a dead horse.It's goingto come up everytime someone is looking......and buying Lsi series speakers.Unlike Rt series where you can just about drive them with anything,Lsi are not so forgiving.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2003
    Options
    F1nut,
    Thank you.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    F1nut, thanks for the thread direction for FrankZ.

Anyway, I will spending the weekend traveling to listen to the LSi's with Rotel and B&K seperates. I will be putting on some miles but look forward to it.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Options
    We want a full report when you get back.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Will do...unless I bring home a componet or two then it could be a while untill I decide to leave the room!!
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Understandable.

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    very understandable............
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Is there a echo in here.....

President of Club Polk

• gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Holy sh##. After auditioning a few components this weekend I can see this UPGRADE thing getting out of hand real quick.

Mantis...You stated that B&K has a preamp with a phono input...which preamp??

One thing for sure..the B&K 125.7 should satisfy my needs now and well into the future.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Holy sh##. After auditioning a few components this weekend I can see this UPGRADE thing getting out of hand real quick.

One thing for sure..the B&K 125.7 should satisfy my needs now and well into the future.
    B&K doesn't have Phono inputs on any of there receivers ro preamps.The sell the phono preamp seperately.You canplug it into any of the unused inputs on the back.
    Dan
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Mantis, sorry about that. I'm still just an ignorant newbie that LOVES my new hobby. Will check into that phono preamp. Thanks
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options

gshisme,
    yes, as you experienced, the petite, handsome 125.7 is no slouch. It's not going to be like its big bro ref 200.7, but you would be hard pressed to overdrive it, not to mention some spare coins to be spend on other equally pressing upgrades :lol:
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Rotarydude
    Rotarydude Posts: 40
    edited October 2003
    Options
    There are other options. ATI and Anthem. I don't know about the Outlaw, a friend of mine has one...its can handle some major volume, but it didn't sound that great to me.
    Family room:
    2xLSi25, 1xLSiC, 4xLSiFX, SVS 20-39PC+, PT-52DL52, TS160, DTR 9.1, DVR985, DVL-700, CDP-C910, Panamax 5500 connected by Canare (4S11 w/Vampire and L-5CFB)

Masterbed room:
    2xAR312-HO, 1xAR4C, 2xAR15, NHT Subone, WT-46805, SR-HD500, M-VR900, Denon 1600, Monster HTS-3500 connected by Monster Cables

Waiting:
    Denon 5900, Denon 2200, and a 7 Channel 4ohm stable amp!
  • rookiejk
    rookiejk Posts: 60
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What makes you guys think that the Rotel 1055 Receiver can handle a full Lsi setup. Do any of you have experience? I have a full Lsi setup and tried to use a Denon receiver and it's not working. I need something that can handle the speakers, but don't want to pay 2-3k for seperates or a receiver.
    Receiver: B&K AVR505
    Fronts: Lsi25s
    Center: Lsic
    Surround: LsiXs
    TV: 57'' RP Toshiba
  • F1nut
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to PAY to play. I think this is one of those times.

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    rookie,
    I have Rotel distance cousin RSX-1065 and the beast drive my LSi with ease. There are also several forum members owned 1055 with LSi, do your search to read what they said about the combo.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I gotta agree with F1nut and I'll take it a step further.

If your not willing to spend the money on the proper amp or receiver to drikve the Lsi's then why did you buy them

I have plenty of experience with just about every receiver made.

Rotel being one of them.

Dan
    Dan
  • rookiejk
    rookiejk Posts: 60
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have no problem spending the money on components to drive the speakers, I just wanted to avoid another spending spree. If you have experience in this area, what Rotel components do you recommend. Is the RSX 1055 enough or should I make the move to a pre/pro setup with the 1066 & 1075?

Is there any comparable seperates that are in the same price range, say the 2k range?
    Receiver: B&K AVR505
    Fronts: Lsi25s
    Center: Lsic
    Surround: LsiXs
    TV: 57'' RP Toshiba
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Current supply is what kills most components running LSi's....you need a high current Amplifier/ AVR period. The Rotel is capable of doing that, just to name one. Mantis is very familiar with that company.

I will generalize and say that most commericial brands aren't up to the task of driving LSi's. You have to step up into the TOTL or get into un-common manufacturers. I think that is a fair comment.

Seperates? Of course. New or Used? Its a loaded question.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.