rti 100 bass/ best connection?

dcorrea
dcorrea Posts: 80
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
I have connected my rti 100's with the LFE out of my HK 525 to the sub in of one speaker, and connected the other speakers sub in from the subout of the first speaker. While I know the rti 100's don't output the best bass in the world, I have to turn my subwoofer level on my receiver to +10 with the volume control of both speaker set to max in order to get any decent bass from these things. Is this normal or is there a better way to connect these? I am starting to wonder if I should have just gotten the RTI 70s instead.
HK AVR 525
Polk RTi-100 Fronts
Polk RTi-38 Rears
Polk CSi-40 Center
Polk FXi-30 (have nowhere to put them just yet)
Post edited by dcorrea on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2003
    Hello,
    Thanks for participating in our Forum. I try and encourage owners to not use the sub-out method of connecting to the bass section of the RTi100. Since there is a built-in low pass filter as a part of the speaker using a filtered output can result in double filtering and reduced bass output. My advice would be to remove the RCA sub-woofer connection and restore the binding post jumper plates, allowing a full range audio signal to go to the bass amplifier. Set the bass level, on the back of the speaker, to the 9:00 o'clock position (assuming you have the speakers 24" or greater away from walls and corners) for a flat frequency response.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • dcorrea
    edited October 2003
    Well wonder no more. There is no way I am taking these babies back now. Thanks for the hookup tip. After inserting the jumper and removing the sub rca cables, the bass is now more robust and definitely improves the overall sound quality of the speaker. Thanks a million for the information.

Danny
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2003
    That's great, Danny. I'm glad things are sounding better.
    Have fun, Ken
  • dcorrea
    edited October 2003
    Ken one last question.

If I use the L/R preouts on my HK 525 to connect to the speakers sub line in, would this still compromise the overall speaker output. I was just wondering so I know the best available options.
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2003
    Hello,
    If those connections are a true pre-amplifier, meaning un-filtered, then sure run a right and left shielded RCA connection to the line level inputs on the speakers and remove the binding post jumper plates. It should lower the noise floor in bass performance and improve bass transients. But, some audio components turn off their internal amplifiers whenever a connection is made to the pre-amp outputs. It "thinks" you've added an outboard power amplifier and disconnects the internal connection between the pre-amp section and the power amp portion. To test this have your system operating and plug any RCA cables that you have available, there doesn't have to be anything connected on the other ends. If the front channels continue playing then everything's fine and you can connect to the bass amplifiers. If the front channels stop playing then you know its not possible. In most cases this won't be a problem, but you want to find this out before you buy those mega-buck RCA cables.
    Take care, Ken
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2003
    Another thing you can do is replace the jumpers with quality speaker wire. I've read some people have had good results. I've done it but haven't tested it to see if there was a difference or not.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.