Center RM6600 speaker-Blown?

rhodge007
rhodge007 Posts: 1
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
I am not getting good voice dialogue while watching movies; I called Polk and they said I may have a blown tweeter in the center, but I didn't think I had one. However, last night while watching LOTR:TT's during the last big battle, when the horns go off, I could hear a buzz coming from the center speaker. Does this mean I have a blown speaker, if it is what should I do about it?
Post edited by rhodge007 on

Comments

• bpoling
    bpoling Posts: 1
    edited October 2003
    I have the CS350-LS center channel with a similar problem. An easy test is to remove the tweeter and see if you still get the undesired sound.

I have tried this and it seems I still get the undesired echo/reverberation. My next step would be to replace the crossover. This requires some soldering skill since the speaker wires are very close on the circuit board.

Interesting that we are having similar problems. I find it hard to believe I/we blew just our center channels.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2003
    The RM6600 comes with a 5 year warranty if you bought it at an authorized retailer. Polk should take care of you on it.

People blow speakers all the time. I'm curious what you find hard to believe about it?
  • vdoguy
    vdoguy Posts: 3
    edited October 2003
    I also have the 6600 and sometimes have distortion from the center and the right front at some louder points of movies. Although the level is loud, it's well under what the speakers should be able to handle. I only use these speakers for the occasional movie and they have done it since I bought them. I can switch the right speaker with a rear and the center has only done it a couple times. They all use the same drivers, so my right is probably experiencing the same thing your center is, only not as bad (yet!).
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2003
    If you have the five year warranty (aka you bought from an authorized dealer), why live with possibly damaged goods? Take it in and make sure it is working properly. You will enjoy it a lot more if it works right. ;)