Denon AVR-4802R with LSi Series

Options
cogitoergosum
cogitoergosum Posts: 8
Hi,

I currently have the Denon 2900 DVD Player and i'm planing to set up my first surround system.
I'm thinking of purchasing the AVR-4802R with a set of LSi.
I am quite confuse with the "Ohm" rating.
The AV receiver indicate that it supports:
125 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD)
The LSi15 for example has a nominal impedance of 4 Ohm.

Does the receiver optimize the speaker?
Is it a good Receiver/speaker match?

If anyone could give me a 'impedance 101" crash course i would very much appreciate.

Thank You

Michel

Post edited by cogitoergosum on

Comments

• cogitoergosum
    edited October 2003
    Options
    :))

i found my own answer on the Denon website
    http://www.usa.denon.com/support/faqs_ht.asp#Q9

But anyone is currently using the same config (AVR-4802R and LSi) i would very much appreciate feedback.
    I am still undecided between the RTi and the LSi series.
    The use would be for CDs, DVDs, DVD-A and SACDs.

Thanks

"9) CAN I USE 4 OHM LOUDSPEAKERS WITH MY DENON RECEIVER OR POWER AMPLIFIER?

Yes, you certainly can.

To understand this a bit better, first realize that all amplifiers are designed to deliver a signal into an electrical "load" or resistance presented by the loudspeaker. We measure resistance in units called "ohms" (after the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm, 1787–1854).

Conventional wisdom makes an 8 ohm loudspeaker load the most acceptable because it "protects" the amplifier from delivering too much current. A 4 ohm loudspeaker can encourage a marginally designed amplifier to deliver more current than it comfortably can.

However, you should remember that a loudspeaker’s impedance rating is a nominal or average one: A speaker rated at 8 ohms may actually vary from 5 (sometimes even less) to 20 ohms or higher, depending on the frequency at which you measure the impedance. (Don’t worry about this too much -- good speaker engineers are well aware of these variations and take them into consideration when designing products.)

In general, you’ll find that Denon products are designed to function with a wide variety of loudspeakers and have power supplies and output circuitry more than able to meet the current demands of low impedance loads.

In the rare event that very low impedances tax the amplifier, quick acting circuitry will protect it from damage. If unusual operating conditions trigger this circuitry, the word "PROTECTION" will appear on the unit’s front panel. If this happens, simply turn the unit off, wait a moment or two, and turn the unit back on again. The protection circuitry will automatically reset. If it re-engages, check your system for possible malfunctions."
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yes you are fine with the Denon.

If you listen to music, the overall opinion, is probably going to be LSi. I agree. Its very accurate, and will stomp on alot of speakers in its price range.

There is a GREAT deal on LSi's in the Flea Market right now, you will not find a better deal. MadMax is a great guy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cogitoergosum
    edited October 2003
    Options
    what or where is this Flea Market ? :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Same forum, scroll down in the list. :)

Here it is:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12941
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited October 2003
    Options
    As everyone in here knows I support Denon fully BUT,

Running Lsi or any other 6 to 4 ohm load speaker I do not.What happens with there amps they lose there dymanic range.Not to mention your mixing laid back with laid back.Not really the best 2k choice here.I know it's ;paded with awesome features but I would suggest you look into the Rotel rsx1065 for better sound quality.rotel has much more current avalible to drive the Lsi series with awesome dynamic range.

The Denon receivers are much better suited running rt series speakers and do it perfectly.Dynamic range is back and weight.

I install Denon every single day with many different kinds of speakers.They fall short when running harder load speakers.

Think before you buy.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited October 2003
    Options
    One speaker line thats 4 ohm load is Def tech.The rule is broken here as most of there speakers are powered.They sound awesome with Denon.There on the bright side so the mellow warm sound of the Denon really compliments the Def Tech lines....

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.