Battlefield Bad Company 2

ballen823
ballen823 Posts: 110
edited June 2011 in Video Games
A new multiplayer demo was released last night for BFBC2 on 360, and hopefully we'll see one for the PSN tonight.

I played a beta release that they had back in December and it was a ton of fun. I'd suggest anyone that likes team based FPS to give it a shot.
Post edited by ballen823 on

Comments

• tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited January 2010
    I downloaded it last night the I wasn't able to play for very long. One thing I did notice though was how realistic the game sounds, probably one of the most realistic shooting game I've ever heard. I might have to buy the game just for this;)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • ballen823
    edited January 2010
    I played for about 5 hours last night. It did sound great, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhat compressed to fit the demo.

It's a different type of game from MW2, but give it a few hours to get used to the controls, classes, and how it plays, and it's a hell of a lot more fun then MW2.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2010
    The soundtrack is very impressive!

I was a big fan of BF2 4-5 years ago, so this was a nice refresher. I can't wait till they sort the bugs out.

I agree about MW2, I hated it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2010
    I just received my beta key from Amazon, I will be downloading the beta tonight and give it a try. I have preordered the game so when it is released you will see me online more.

XFire: r32gtr92
    Steam: Tuntematon
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    I can see this being my next FPS for the next couple of years. Still buggy but this seems to be what modern warfare game should be like.
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2010
    Make sure to go into the audio settings and set it to "War Tapes".
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited February 2010
    I gave the demo 30 minutes... then vowed to never play it again. Not that I'm downing the game - I've just never really "gotten" the Battlefield games.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    Seeing now that this is not really Battlefield 2 sequel, I'm starting to get worried the "bugs" in this beta might not get fixed. Beta only has heli, I wonder if we get a jet at all? I am guessing we won't since it seems 32 is the max player count, not 64.

Damn it, no jets is a major turnoff. I wish they would have made a decent BF2 sequel and not a damn console port. In any case, the beta is more enjoyable than the multiplayer in released COD MW2 so it's not all too bad.
  • tommyboy
    edited February 2010
    I gave the demo 30 minutes... then vowed to never play it again. Not that I'm downing the game - I've just never really "gotten" the Battlefield games.

Whats there not to get? Its a slower game since its a little more wide open and the spawning system isn't random. The one problem I had with it was it took a good amount of shots to kill someone. Hopefully they change that or have a hardcore game or something...
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    I agree on the damage, it's ridiculous. Hopefully they give a good manual as sniper fire needs to be explained in detail, how the trajectory is and all. Also, this game seems to lack commander option (artillery fire, supply drops, UAV etc).
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2010
    I pre-ordered the game through Amazon. What does it takes to be able to download the beta key, Sami? btw, I have Silver on MS Live. TIA
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    polkatese wrote: »
    I pre-ordered the game through Amazon. What does it takes to be able to download the beta key, Sami? btw, I have Silver on MS Live. TIA

They sent me a beta key by e-mail.
  • jwm2
    jwm2 Posts: 44
    edited February 2010
    I ordered it today too, they make no mention of any beta keys. I wonder if that was a limited time offer. Oh well i downloaded the demo this morning, it'll keep me going for awhile.
  • kuntasensei
    edited February 2010
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Whats there not to get? Its a slower game since its a little more wide open and the spawning system isn't random. The one problem I had with it was it took a good amount of shots to kill someone. Hopefully they change that or have a hardcore game or something...

Oh, I get the pace of the game and I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with squad-spawning, etc. I just don't find the game nearly as interesting as something like Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. I like my shooters to either be fast-paced and crazy like Modern Warfare 2 or slow and tactical (or co-op like Borderlands or L4D2, but that's another story). Also, I just don't see how they've evolved the gameplay much from past games. It's just... more of the same old Battlefield. Not sure why people keep going back to that particular well, but hey, maybe that's just me.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    or slow and tactical (or co-op like Borderlands or L4D2, but that's another story).

L4D2 is slow and tactical? If anything, it's good mindless shooting but I didn't find it to hold my interest long. I fire it up once in a while when I don't have time to play long.
    Also, I just don't see how they've evolved the gameplay much from past games. It's just... more of the same old Battlefield.

The reason is they are dumbing the gameplay down to cater to console players. It's a shame really, next thing is they dumb it down even further so people can play it on their mobile devices. If you used to play BF2 you have to remember this is a console port, not a native PC game, and as such has taken a few steps backwards in evolution. No jets, no commander, and what I have read the heli controls are very simplistic compared to BF2. Very bad especially considering BF2 wasn't anywhere near simulation with aircrafts.
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    Ok, more missing pieces:

no Q menu (Commo Rose)
    no prone
    no strafing
  • jwm2
    edited February 2010
    I tell ya, i miss the good ole days of quake 3 and unreal tournament. Those games were so fun to play online. I noticed serious sam was just released on the xbox live arcade, if i can find some points i may give it a go. Sorry to get off topic :/
  • kuntasensei
    edited February 2010
    Sami wrote: »
    L4D2 is slow and tactical? If anything, it's good mindless shooting but I didn't find it to hold my interest long. I fire it up once in a while when I don't have time to play long.

I didn't say L4D2 is slow and tactical. I said "or co-op like Borderlands or L4D2".

I still maintain that slapping a new coat of paint on the same old Battlefield is kinda' lame, and that seems to be all they're doing. Either way, I don't understand why people love the game so much. It has always been kinda' gimpy to me, and never pulled me away from other shooters because there was nothing particularly special about it. But it's probably just a difference in what I enjoy playing. Not trying to poo-poo it for anyone else.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Face
    edited February 2010
    As you move up in rank, the weapons do more damage.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    I didn't say L4D2 is slow and tactical. I said "or co-op like Borderlands or L4D2".
    Ok, that makes more sense. Battlefield has always been that way though, you have to squad up to succeed. Playing as lone wolf does not work as it does in COD. It's not co-op but to really enjoy it you need to start playing it that way.
    I still maintain that slapping a new coat of paint on the same old Battlefield is kinda' lame, and that seems to be all they're doing.

Isn't that the way it is to all the games? I don't see CODMW2 being that much different from COD or COD2 than BFBC2 is from BF1942 or BF2. I understand if you don't like the game though, everyone likes different styles. I like the fact that I can jump into a vehicle and play a more tactical game than COD-series offers. I like it because I am not tied into playing infantry soldier.

We have come a long way from where I started FPS (not counting Wolfenstein), Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault. It's a shame that consoles are starting to take PC game development backwards. Many features that PC gamers are complaining about seem to get the same response from DICE: it's not possible/practical in console version so they are not implementing it on the PC version either.
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    Some rumored screen shots from BF3:

bf3s2.jpg
    bf3s.jpg
    bf3s3.jpg
  • Face
    edited February 2010
  • tommyboy
    edited February 2010
    Sami wrote: »
    No reason not to buy at that price. I can't believe it's that low.

Yeah, really cheap for new game. Too bad I would have add hundrends of dollars to that.
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Yeah, really cheap for new game. Too bad I would have add hundrends of dollars to that.

New hardware? It runs fairly decent on C2D E6400 and GTX275 @ 1920x1080. If I lowered the resolution I am sure I could get extremely good fps.
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    Oh well, I placed another pre-order since it was only $25 shipped. Now I can setup my other PC so guests can play with me.

Last night I hiked up the frequency on my E6400 to 3.2GHz from stock and got another 10-15fps. I believe I could go much higher but my memory doesn't keep up anymore. Oh well, I figure that's another year I can go by with that old processor before upgrading to Q9550 or similar.
  • jwm2
    edited February 2010
    I bought the first battlefield bad company game last night. Its really a great game, i don't know why i never bothered with it before. But for $20 in the bargin bin at walmart its hard to go wrong. I also picked up mercinaries 2 and mirrors edge. I don't care for mercinaries 2, i played it for about an hour last night and its not a very good game. I haven't even popped in mirrors edge, i'm hoping thats pretty good as well. 3 games for the price of 1 new one, i can afford for 1-2 of them to not be very good.
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    Downloading ARMA II demo from Steam right now. YouTube videos of it look awesome. If you liked BF2, give it a try!
  • Sami
    edited February 2010
    Barnes & Noble canceled the preorder, I guess they figured it was too low of a price. :(
  • ballen823
    edited February 2010
    That blows.

Amazon is giving a $20 gift card to be used in their video game store if you purchase for the consoles.