RIP xbox 360 . . .

Options
2»

Comments

• lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i have a 360 from a friend and always makes horrible noises -- so I never use it for fear of it dying. This being the second 360 I'm just turned off by the brand, even though I love the controller, UI, XBLA, etc.

Maybe when the Natal bundles come out the hardware will be a bit more reliable. Till then I am ps3 only.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I know your pain. My XBox crapped out on me one night just like that. They should still be able to fix it I would hope, all you gotta do is fill out the crap online and 2 weeks later you get it back nice as new.
    I personally like the gaming on the Xbox better than PS3 and would stick with the XBox IMO. I would say get both if you can as they are both great units and some of the games for the PS3 only are great too. As a player its good, but if your looking to get a stand alone player there are others that will compete with it as well.
  • ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited December 2009
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    The failures were on the early units and they pretty much fixed those issues. I don't think the failure rate is even close with the current production models, so shouldn't even be used as a factor in buying a new unit or not.

With all due respect, I don't think we know the failure rate on the Jaspers yet, since they were just introduced over the last year.

I traded my old 360 Pro for a Jasper hoping that it's solved though.
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    Are there any BluRay PS3 games out now?

All PS3 games are on Blu-ray. I believe Uncharted 2 takes up a full 25 GB disc, which would be close to four DVD's.

I own both systems. Live is better with some of their features like private and party chat, but PSN isn't far behind anymore, and it's free. With the exception of party chat, I don't see a difference between the two.

My recommendation would be to go with the one you have more friends playing on.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If your not going to fix it and decide to go PS3 let me know I'll buy it. I would definitely stay with the 360 if I were you. Get yourself a dedicated BD player when the funds permit.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I ended up going with a ps3, but I'm still going to get my xbox fixed. Hopefully microsoft will come through. I think I can get used to the playstation pretty easy, we'll see after a couple hours on COD.
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The xbox 360 is the biggest piece of crap ever made. I have never seen so many units fail in such short time. Microsoft couldn't fix the problems after the first wave of broken units? Come on but then again it's microcrap
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited December 2009
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    The xbox 360 is the biggest piece of crap ever made. I have never seen so many units fail in such short time. Microsoft couldn't fix the problems after the first wave of broken units? Come on but then again it's microcrap

It is poorly constructed, but manageable. If you want to be in the game 24/7, you just have to figure on the initial cost of 2 units plus $99 every 8-10 months to have one of them repaired.

When you add it all up, the entertainment value is about the same as you and your favorite date/friend/spouse going to the movies once a week.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited December 2009
    Options
    We can go back and forth on this all night, lol. While I agree that Xbox Live is better than PSN, it is not far behind anymore. We got my son a 360 last Christmas and he has already had one RROD, which is far fewer than I thought he would have by now. As for the Javelin mod, there are always nerds out there that are going to figure out how to do stuff like that, I think (but don't quote me on this) that the latest update for MW2 that came out Friday or Saturday was a fix for that mod as I have not noticed it since. IMHO the PS3 is a very capable unit for what it costs, although as stated earlier in this thread the ne PS3's are nothing like the one I have. I have a first gen 80GB, that I feel is the most capable of all the units, besides the second gen (I think) 60's that are pretty much the same unit with a smaller hard drive. To each his own on this matter, but I for one, will stay loyal to Sony for years to come.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited December 2009
    Options
    We can go back and forth on this all night, lol. While I agree that Xbox Live is better than PSN, it is not far behind anymore. We got my son a 360 last Christmas and he has already had one RROD, which is far fewer than I thought he would have by now. As for the Javelin mod, there are always nerds out there that are going to figure out how to do stuff like that, I think (but don't quote me on this) that the latest update for MW2 that came out Friday or Saturday was a fix for that mod as I have not noticed it since. IMHO the PS3 is a very capable unit for what it costs, although as stated earlier in this thread the ne PS3's are nothing like the one I have. I have a first gen 80GB, that I feel is the most capable of all the units, besides the second gen (I think) 60's that are pretty much the same unit with a smaller hard drive. To each his own on this matter, but I for one, will stay loyal to Sony for years to come.

-Jeff

Supposedly what I was told with the javelin mod was that if you were reported doing it that you could be suspended from Live for doing it and they were going to be patching it soon. People are always going to be doing glitches and cheats its just part of the game. Half the time I just ignore them because they are sitting there trying to trash talk and be "cool" but in reality they have no friends and are just saying that because it makes their imaginary friends like them more.
    I know that the Xbox isn't the greatest unit in terms of reliablity, but still feel that its very good. I agree that the PS3 isn't the same as when it came out. I do not care for the slims at all. My friends got one right when they first came out and I was really impressed with it. Now I see the slims and just really don't care for them at all.
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I am with you on the Slim's, they are more affordable and is still a very capable unit, just not the same as the good ole PS3's like mine. My son has a 360 and he told me about the Javelin mod before I was able to experience it myself firsthand. Like I said though, I think it is already fixed on PSN by the latest update that came out over the weekend, but I didn't play much this past weekend, so I could be mistaken.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2009
    Options
    AHaha, the Javelin is awesome.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i have both and the 360 is a far better gaming experience.. I wouldnt be so quick to suck off the ps3.. its a great blu ray player but lacks severly in gaming as compared to the 360.. just my 2 cents.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    AHaha, the Javelin is awesome.

don't you be gettin' kicked from live. there goes our MVP.

man, dunno about you, but i friggin' SUCK of late! i hardly even wanna play online anymore.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • domflane
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I played this weekend on playstation network and didn't notice anyone using the Javelin, so it must be fixed. As for the ps3 itself, I think I made the right decision. The internet browser is awsome, the blu-ray works great and the gaming is decent. Plus it's a much better looking console next to my HK than that ugly white xbox was. Call me a turn coat, but with the added options and free online, ps3 wins. I was a die hard xbox'er for three years, now I really dont miss it.
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ^Uhm. Word.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Best first post ever?
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Best first post ever?

It's certainly up there...
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• Demiurge
    edited December 2009
    Options
    "This "interactive remote controller" **** is simply that - ****. no, i do not want to wield a controller like its a lightsaber, no i do not want to point and click at ****.."

That's solid sig material.
  • MrGlobe
    MrGlobe Posts: 401
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I would like to throw in that the Resident Evil gun on the Wii is AWESOME! I spent hours upon hours playing that game back when I got my Wii. Its like being at an arcade with a comfortable couch, a big tv, and great sound.

Sorry for the further derailment
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Best 292nd post ever?

;)

• domflane
    edited December 2009
    Options
    consider it derailed, the xbox vs ps3 argument was getting old anyway, this is way better
    Home Theater
    2 Channel
  • BIZILL
    edited December 2009
    Options
    YEAH, my second 360 just rrod'd. not surprised. within 3 year warranty. sort of wish it wasn't so i could just fix it myself. but i'm keeping the warranty in-tact for the time being. next up will eventually be my elite.

at least it was the boys' xbox. they have other game systems to use and cod6 has been getting old already. for all of us. bring on the 3 weeks turn around time...it happens.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • domflane
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My brand new xbox showed up yesterday at no charge to me and I couldn't be happier. I sent my RROD console in about two weeks ago and Microsoft took care of everything. It was a Polk like customer service experience, very smooth. To tell you the truth, I haven't played a game on my PS3 in over a month. Its just not the same. I plan on keeping the PS3 for blu-ray and web browsing and maybe for visual games that aren't heavy on gameplay, like Final Fantasy. But for all out, fast paced, hardcore gaming . . . nothing beats the xbox. For now I'll just be the proud owner of both untill an affordable used Oppo BDP becomes available. My allegiance, however, lies with xbox.
    Home Theater
    2 Channel
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2010
    Options
    my kids' returns today. dunno how u got a new vs refurbished, but kudos to u.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • domflane
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I got lucky I guess, but its brand new. I never thought I'd miss it so much, thought the playstation would fill the void, but no. I know it has it's problems, but Microsoft is standing behind it. I really love having both.
    Home Theater
    2 Channel
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I like both. 360 is better for online however. Yeah you have to pay but that doesn't mean it's worse in the experience.

I like the PS3 as it's more powerful and plays blurays. Some games only come out on PS3... But yeah it's expensive to have just for that.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • jwm2
    jwm2 Posts: 44
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have the opposite experience with online play. For me it sucks on the 360. You have nothing but whiney 10 year olds talking trash and on top of that you have to pay an annual fee to get access to it. Not to mention the time it takes to even get into a game. With the ps3 i'm usually playing within seconds, the matchmaking seems to be much smoother. And i don't pay a penny to get access to it. The 360 you have to pay as much as the cost of the console for a decent sized hdd with the ps3 you just pop in a laptop hdd and instantly have access to 350-500gb+ of storage. If i had to do it all over again and could only choose one, it would be the ps3, hands down. I have both now but find myself playing the ps3 alot more. Of course games like gears of war are amazing and worth keeping the 360 around for. But stuff like achievements dont appeal to me at all, even though its nice to get that chime during a game when you've earned one, but the ps3 does the same thing now with trophies. Personally i'd get the 360 repaired on ebay, have them do the reball and it won't rrod on you again. And with the rest of your money buy the ps3 and enjoy the best of both worlds.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Whiny 10 year olds are a mainstay on both systems. That's what mute and party chat are for. I will never understand the complaints about having to pay for the gold service.

Not to mention:
    Sony may charge for PSN access
    updated 05:45 pm EST, Wed February 3, 2010
    Sony considering charging for access to PSN

Sony's senior vice president of marketing and the man in charge of the PlayStation Network, Peter Dille, revealed in a Tuesday IGN interview that Sony is considering charging for access to the PlayStation Network. His remarks mirror an earlier indication from Kaz Hirai, Chairman and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America and would also match what Microsoft does with its online community, Xbox Live.

Dille went on to say the PlayStation Network has matured and grown since its initial launch, and that it gives up little, if anything to the Xbox 360's service. He continues by saying that improvements will continue to be made, and while he didn't get into specifics, he did say they will revolve around making it more user-friendly as well as enhance the user interface. Other changes will include more original programming, one of which is The Tester, a reality TV show and a game mixed into one. It will have hopefuls compete for the job of a software tester at Sony and may end up being shown on TV. [via IGN]

As soon as I get my Oppo Blu-Ray player the PS3 is probably gettin' sold unless I choose to keep it for the rare worthwhile exclusives the PS3 gets.
  • domflane
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'm with you Demi, I sent my 360 to Microsoft and had it back in less than two weeks. Since its been back, I have only turned on the Playstation a couple to watch Blurays and listen to some music I stored on the HD. And I bought the PS3 to replace the Xbox. There's no question that the Xbox is the better gaming platform. I think I'll look for an Oppo myself and try to flip the Playstation. I used to use the browser a lot, but I recently got a new computer, so I really have no need for it anymore.
    Home Theater
    2 Channel