PSW10 annoying sound

I purchased this sub recently and it is a very good sub...

However, at high volumes the speaker cover rattles (I think due to the port exhaust). Has anyone else had this issue or have any ideas about how to fix it or perhaps increase the rigidity of the cover?

The noise goes away when i take off the cover but i would rather leave it on...
Post edited by grahamggggg on

Comments

• grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited February 2010
    When I owned that sub it couldn't make enough noise to rattle it's own grill... however, are you able to maybe jam something into the posts that the grill goes into to make a tighter connection. A little ghetto but maybe even a thin piece of cloth or something of that nature would tighten up the connection enough.
  • grahamggggg
    grahamggggg Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried something like that and it doesn't work very well...I don't think it rattles at the connection points.
  • jacob.simpson
    jacob.simpson Posts: 481
    edited February 2010
    try to use a aluminium rods like a cross outside the grill.
  • jwm2
    jwm2 Posts: 44
    edited February 2010
    I was trying to decide on either the psw10 or psw111 about a week ago, in fact i searched all over the web looking for comparisions. Alot of people like the 10" woofer, but due to the port noise alot of people seem to be complaining about i went with the psw111 instead. I couldn't be happier. The psw10 seems to be notorious for port noise, and even though i don't listen to much music on my system, i knew i would be annoyed with this problem if it even happened once. Sorry to hear about your situation, but from the research i've done it seems to be common. I don't know if there is a fix for it (i haven't come across one yet) or i would have gone with it and done the needed modification to use it instead. But in the end i'm really glad i went with the psw111 instead. It was a decision i wouldn't hesitate to make again.
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited February 2010
    Ive had 2 PSW10's, was never able to get enough out of them for anything like that to happen.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • esowden
    esowden Posts: 55
    edited February 2010
    jwm2 wrote: »
    I was trying to decide on either the psw10 or psw111 about a week ago, in fact i searched all over the web looking for comparisions. Alot of people like the 10" woofer, but due to the port noise alot of people seem to be complaining about i went with the psw111 instead. I couldn't be happier. The psw10 seems to be notorious for port noise, and even though i don't listen to much music on my system, i knew i would be annoyed with this problem if it even happened once. Sorry to hear about your situation, but from the research i've done it seems to be common. I don't know if there is a fix for it (i haven't come across one yet) or i would have gone with it and done the needed modification to use it instead. But in the end i'm really glad i went with the psw111 instead. It was a decision i wouldn't hesitate to make again.

I could turn my PSW10 up loud enough to cause it to make port noise but then it would over-power my speakers. I've read about the noise complaints but have never experienced it with my sub. I can't help but wonder if the people with the complaints are setting their systems up very bass heavy or listening to movies/music at levels way higher than I'm capable of.
    Den
    Parasound 2100
    Parasound 2125
    Denon DCM-390
    LG BD390V
    Martin Logan Preface(x2)
    Denon AH-D2000

Bedroom
    Adcom GTP-350
    Parasound HCA-800II
    Panasonic DVD-S54
    Denon AH-2000
    Polk S4(x4)

ಠ_ಠ
  • AmishFury
    AmishFury Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    i also get the same thing

it only happens on certain things... the heartbeat sounds in terminator salvation for example

just tonight watching house of the devil more heartbeat sounds causing the same thing

i'll have to see if taking off the cover helps or not

but i'd much rather leave it on
  • linto
    linto Posts: 1
    grimmace19 wrote: »
    When I owned that sub it couldn't make enough noise to rattle it's own grill... however, are you able to maybe jam something into the posts that the grill goes into to make a tighter connection. A little ghetto but maybe even a thin piece of cloth or something of that nature would tighten up the connection enough.

I have had the same thing, and i took me six months to figure out that it was the grill that's making the noise. I thought the cone was damaged.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    linto wrote: »
    grimmace19 wrote: »

I have had the same thing, and i took me six months to figure out that it was the grill that's making the noise. I thought the cone was damaged.

And it took you 10 years to find this thread, lol....