Mini MD Get Together

Comments

• dubradio
    dubradio Posts: 181
    edited January 2010
    uhg, just got to my g/f house in bel air from cecil county, roads r absolutely horrible, not gonna be able to make it. sorry guys :(
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited January 2010
    Have a good time guy's, I really wish I could have made it down, but hearing what the weather's like down there, I think I'll just pour a glass of wine, sit in front of the fireplace and listen to some tunes.

PS. don't burn that eggplant......;)

Jimmy
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Jimmy everyone is loving the Eggplant Parm!! We didn't burn it and people are having seconds. It's great there's only 5 of us that made it ;)

I had around 2 tablespoons and Scott's wife had two helpings!

Thanks again buddy!

Sal

Sal, if there are any leftovers drop some off at my house on your way home.;):D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited January 2010
    Back home....

A big thank you to Scott and Mrs. C for having us over. I had a great time, ate too much food and enjoyed Scott's rig......sounds really good, bro.

Thanks to Mark for the ride. There's no way I would have been able to make it otherwise, much appreciated.

Met Tony and Stu for the first time, good folk and look forward to the next time. Always good to see Sal, what's left of him. ;)

Jimmy, loved the eggplant parm...thanks!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited January 2010
    Thanks go to Scott and Fleur for being gracious hosts and it was nice to meet a couple new faces with Vette.C6R and Amherst. Of course the hardcore Polkies made it like myself, F1Nut and Lasareath. Even weather doesn't stop the dedicated....whomever didn't make it, you can suck it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2010
    Big thanks to the guys who made it in the snow. Thanks to Mark for bringing the monster BBQ, cables and Jesse. Thanks to Stu for bringing some Lsi 9's, bakery fresh bread and Key Lime Pie. Sal saved the day with his Adcom Pre and cables and of course Jimi's eggplant parm which was delicious. It was great to finally meet Tony. We all had a good time and listened to some good tunes.

I think my wife may even let me have another one when the forcast will not include snow.

I only got a chance to take a few pictures to prove it happened.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Glad to hear you all had a great time. Nice pics Scott.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited January 2010
    Scott - You have one of the better SDA rigs I've heard in my travels. It's very smartly setup and thought out overall with a very simple yet VERY effective vinyl addition. The maple platforms for the SDA make a lot of sense to me although, like you, would be interested in the the change in soundstage with granite/rock w/ spikes. I usually prefer more solid structures for loudspeaker bases or connection with a solid surface, which are typically less resonant than wood. That being said, the sound was super and I'd love to run some of my reference stuff thru it when I'm less worried about weather...and the fact you and your wife had so much good food upstairs.

I've dealt with the exact same openings to the right hand side so expected some loss/boost in the array...possibly a large shift right...but it never happened on multiple media choices. The center image was pretty spot on with maybe a low/low mid end boost...not sure where to go with that comment based on a small time on ears. It's an A rating for me and you easily surpassed my expectations, even tho' I knew it would be good.

The fact you kept your High School turntable and that's what we listened to, with a new needle of course, really turned me on. I mean that for real as who keeps stuff like that and it was an excellent demo. Again....wonderful. No, no vinyl for me but as usual, I respect the hobby and medium.

The more "perfect" the SDA setup, the less interested I am since there are few of us that have the ideal setup for them. That's where the magic in rigs is at for me, the imperfections that exist but can be tweaked or simply enjoyed based on merit. When you get lost in the recommendations it's not fun anymore and the best rigs I have heard, have been paperwork crap.

Kudos.

(Amherst) Stu's LSi9 sounded AMAZING on the cobbled together upstairs rig. LSi9/ CTC BBQ/ Adcom GFP-750 + Yamaha 5 spinner...running all but I think one pair of MIT cables. The bass response would drop your pants off. We had a L channel voltage problem with Scott's early pre-amp and my BBQ which was quickly remedied by Sal's really nice Adcom GFP-750. I'm not picking on you Scott, it's just what the actual replacement was. I've never been a huge fan of Adcom when it comes to hardcore SS pre-amps but this model is balls on perfect. The red lights annoy me to no end but sonically one of the top 5 SS pre-amps on the used market for me. Great choice Sal.

Upon leaving we dropped the CTC and MIT speaker cables only, and blame one or the other, but the entire soundstage collapsed and became VERY veiled. It was noticeable to everyone although the comments may vary.

The LSi really do shine on power but synergy meant less here as much as quality for me. I had no idea what the pre-amp or CDP was going to be yet we built a ball buster rig in 20 minutes. Keep that in mind when you fall over yourself wondering what works and doesn't...it's really not that hard. If you add the right things, in the right spot...you never know what will happen.

That rig was as enjoyable to listen to as the one downstairs. Once the new guys got a taste of SDA, they never left the basement.

Hey, it was an awesome small GTG and allowed me to get some more face time with Polkies that care and give a shite....eat that Kyle, Ben and Joe. Just kidding but I do like Sal more after tonight, which for me, is big news. We actually got to chat face to face for a change...which when you're just forum personae for the most part, you get disconnected and it was nice. What was the name of that APP again Sal?

VetteC6R(Tony) - It was cool to meet a member of our local, who counts community in regards to the PoPo. I'm from a family of Cops and sorry if I came off as an **** but that's my usual nature anyways. I appreciate your service and just wanted to bust your balls all night out of spite, if given the opportunity. I consider it a right of passage for newbies...everyone gets reamed in our coven, even cops. Can you imagine the **** I've taken for being the phone guy? Yes, I've served in the military based on the FLIR comment and let's trade some tshirts man...I have some cool ones above and beyond Verizon. You're a good sport and a great listener with an ear for becoming crazy like the rest of us. If you ever need help or have questions, you can hit me up thru here and we'll trade reality email.

Jesse - Thanks for taking the ride from hell with me. As always you're a great traveling companion and it was very nice to see you Wood Jedi.

Love,
    doro
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited January 2010
    Wow, just got in, will have to use the helicopter next time so I can beat everyone home! Thanks for the great time go out to our awesome hosts, Scott and Fleur, and great to meet the rest of the gang.

Scott, I think if I listen closely those SDA's can be heard from here.:D
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Nice write up Mark. It made me feel like I was vicariously there. I hate when I have to miss these events. I love to meet the new guys and see old friends.

However, I am shocked, shocked at your positive comment on Scott's turntable as I almost fell out of my chair!:D:p

Sounds like a great time you put on Scott . . . kudos.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2010
    Nice write up Mark, sounds like a great time guys! I love our little GTG's and have made some new friends. Local GTG's are always very cool. Sounds like the gear was great and it just reaffirms what I have been saying about the Adcom GFP750 pre. It's not even in the same league as other Adcom gear. I'd love to get my ears on the CTC BBQ someday. Also great to introduce some newbies to the SDA experience.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited January 2010
    Mark, thanks for the write up. My rig is a result of everything I learned from you and Jesse. As I told you I was very impressed with Stu's Lsi9's, your BBQ and Sal's Adcom. The bass was astounding and imaging very concise. Your amp actually takes control of the speakers. The other thing I found interesting was the difference between the 2 rigs. Both rigs sounded very good but the delivery was distinctly different when listening to the same material.

I believe if LSi's were demoed in retail stores with a respectable amp, Polk would have sold a lot more of the Lsi series. Every in store demo I heard was disappointing and and the RTi series sounded better to me in the store.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited January 2010
    That is why I like this place. Nothing like a GTG to keep old ones and make new friends. Tip O' the hat Scott.

Sal is getting skinny!!
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys - great night last night. Good food, beverages and great people.

Scott and Fleur- Thanks so much for opening your house to us. Beautiful house. Very tastfull decor. Fluer the burgers were great as well as the other food. If it wasn't for the 4 inches of snow I would have thought we were at a summer BBG. Scott, well what can I say. Those 2's were singing there little hearts out. Great setup, loved the stands. I also enjoyed the black caps. I believe it makes them more modern. ( Your paint secret is safe with me. ) Clearly the best SDA system I have heard.

Jesse - Great to meet the Godfather. ( I say that with my best scratchy Brando voice. ) Great to pick your brain and hear your thoughts on setups. Your reputation does indeed precede you.

Mark - Hey, the FNG has to get some good ol' razzing. No worries. Sounds like you have owned just about every stereo that was ever made. I didn't know that they made speaker cables as wide as telephone poles. Look forward to your opinions when the time come to upgrade. Look forward to the t-shirt swap. I'll have to grab some for you guys.

Stu - Hopefully the 4 wheel drive gods shine on you kindly. I hope that it works out. Man Stu those LSI's sang. Never thought in a million years that it would produce such a robust bottom end. Great pie too. Hope you can join in some meetings in the future.

Sal - Still a little pissed you didn't bring the 1.2's. lol They would have been great traction in the snow. Sal became our IT guy. Making little party gifts for all the attended. Pleasure meeting you and hopefully you can make it back to B-More again. Loved the CRS story. Nice gear that you brought over.

Thanks again to everyone. Great meeting good people that share our hobby.

Hopefully I can host in the near future. Inclosed is a pic of my humble system. Even more humble since last night.

Take care guys. Glad everyone got home safe.

Tony
  • Vette C6.r
    edited January 2010
    Ok having problems uploading the file.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like everyone had a great time, Nice to hear. :)

Polk Forums members at the best.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2010
    The fact that Mark was able to put a coherent post at 2:00 AM tells me it must have been a pretty tame GTG.

Let's blame the weather....

Sounds like big fun anyway.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Vette C6.r
    edited January 2010
    That's why I waited till the next day. Might not have been as coherent as Mark's.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2010
    sounds like a fun meet, the crab dip alone would have been worth the drive
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Vette C6.r
    edited January 2010
    Good to see that your making the best of your B-More trip Sal. Eat some for me.
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited January 2010
    Sal, remember...one spoonful at a time. I have to say your really looking good (not in a **** way).
    Glad you guys had a good time.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like you guys had a great time, I really regret not making it. I didn't end up getting home from work until 10, which would have made an 11 o'clock arrival at Scott's probable. I would have been out on the couch after the first half of a beer....
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    strider wrote: »
    Sounds like you guys had a great time, I really regret not making it. I didn't end up getting home from work until 10, which would have made an 11 o'clock arrival at Scott's probable. I would have been out on the couch after the first half of a beer....

Atleast you didn't' get THE LOOK :eek: from your wife!:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Bye Maryland, just entered Delaware Hopefully we'll be home in two hours

I'll wave to you as you go by!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited January 2010
    I forgot to mention the look on everyone's face when Mark turned on his BBQ amp for the first time one channel at a time.

It dimmed the lights, Twice, and we all new we were in for some serious power.

Very Cool.

Thanks again Mark.

Scott
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    I gotta hear this thing.
  • Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited February 2010
    I gotta hear this thing.

Yes, you must! :p
    Check with Doro, but I believe we only skimmed the surface of the capabilities of the roaster while pushing those little 9's. At one point we put on some serious push (volume was climbing and Bob Seger was playing), pretty sure it would have kept going till pieces of speaker cone were on the floor.

Earlier that day was the first I got to listen to the 9's on my home set-up, they have been sitting waiting for some alone time to properly set and observe. I put some push on them here with the same material and ran my amp till it had nothing left to give +6, that's the first time the amp has been that far in my possession. It sounded very good, but in the future when I'm feeling frisky with some good ole rock'n'roll a few more clean watts my be in order with these speakers.
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • Vette C6.r
    edited February 2010
    Sal, couldn't they come up with a better picture of the crab cakes. That one is kinna gross.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited February 2010
    Any pics of the event?!?
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer