Your Best sounding SACD?

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited February 2010 in Music & Movies
There are a few threads on good sounding CD's and SACD's, but if you had to choose only one, which would that be?

Here's my pick:

Patricia Barber, Companion SACD (MFSL)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2010
    most all of the Elton Johns never had any of his stuff on CD or LP, but once i heard madman across the water I bought them all...except peachtree road

Emerson,Lake and Palmer "Brain Salad Surgery"
    Allison Krauss Live is a must have and my most expensive purchase:D
    Ya i know you said just one but what the heck
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited January 2010
    That is a tough question. I have only a few but NIN - The Downward Spiral is my favorite. As far as best sounding... I dunno.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited January 2010
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Allman Brothers Eat A Peach both superb

DVDA-Morph The Cat - Donald Fagen
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2010
    As far a BEST based soley on sonics...it is a tossup between Elton John, "Madman Across the Water" and Steely Dan, "Gaucho". There are many, many more very good ones...but those two stand out in my collection.

I thought seriously about the Carpenters, "Singles 1969-1981" since the sonics on that SACD are superb...but you don't seem like a Carpenters sort of guy.

And I don't care what Doro says...I don't HATE you...and besides... he is just jealous.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2010
    shack wrote: »
    I thought seriously about the Carpenters, "Singles 1969-1981" since the sonics on that SACD are superb...but you don't seem like a Carpenters sort of guy.

Got that one. It does sound great. My first slow dance was to "Close to You". Summer 1971. Her name was Laura.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • shack
    edited January 2010
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Got that one. It does sound great. My first slow dance was to "Close to You". Summer 1971. Her name was Laura.

I hope your hands were properly around her waist, firmly on her butt...instead of that wimpy handholding slow dance...;)

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2010
    Aimee Mann - Lost In Space
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited January 2010
    Toss up between DSOTM and the Telarc 1812 Overture by Erich Kunzel and The Cincinnati Pops...

Aerosmith ROCKS is ok too. :p;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    I want that Aimee Mann SACD. What about Ziggy Stardust?
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Toss up between DSOTM and the Telarc 1812 Overture by Erich Kunzel and The Cincinnati Pops

No offence but I found the Telarc SACD severly lacking. I think the original redbook version is much better. The LP version of it is the best.
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2010
    Nice. Keep them coming. I've got most of the Elton John's.

Jesse, how does the MFSL redbook (lost in space) compare to the SACD?

SOPA
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited January 2010
    What about Ziggy Stardust?

I've got that one. Although I'm not a huge Bowie fan, It's a good listen.
    It's hard to say which is my favorite. Madman Across the Water or Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy. How about favorite artist on SACD.:D
    Have you heard Aerosmith "Toy's In The Attic". Pretty good. I like it cuz I'm an old rock n roller.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2010
    Godsmack.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2010
    I just bought some cds today and a SACD of the Carpenters Singles was in there.
    My very first sacd...he he.. I do like the Carpenters Christmas CD alot so that's why I bought this. But I didn't know it was special until checking the lot out that I bought.
    I bought a SACD player months and months ago and realy never had a reason to hook it up until today. I will hook it up later but was just about to see what the disc goes for online and came here first to see what was going on.I saw this thread and wondered if anybody might have mentioned this disc and sure enough it got props for quality.

I'll get back to you on my review of my best and only sacd soon.:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Nice. Keep them coming. I've got most of the Elton John's.

Ric, Yellow Brick Road is awesome.
  • beaglehead12
    beaglehead12 Posts: 80
    edited January 2010
    Never a big fan but its a realy nice sacd doesnt sound like they have something to prove. Its called this right feels left by Bon Jovi.
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 560
    edited January 2010
    Alison Krauss "New Favorite" and Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms"
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2010

Ricardo, if you mean the Redbook layer on the MFSL SACD of Lost In Space, I couldn't tell you as I've never listened to it.

What about Ziggy Stardust?

It's a major improvement over any other version I've heard and I love the music, but the sound quality is not on par with the best SACD's available. Still, I wouldn't be without it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited January 2010
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2010
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ricardo, if you mean the Redbook layer on the MFSL SACD of Lost In Space, I couldn't tell you as I've never listened to it.

I mean this one:

http://www.tower.com/lost-in-space-aimee-mann-cd/wapi/105899549

Or is this the SACD?

SOPA
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited January 2010
    Toss up between Yellowjackets "Time Squared" and the Telarc 1812 Overture by Erich Kunzel and The Cincinnati Pops.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited January 2010
    Hayden SACD by Ray Kimber's label, IsoMike.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2010
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Godsmack.

AMEN GODSMACK RULES!!!

Toys in the attic is also very good ..Myself I'm more into the multi-channel SACD's although i have some 2ch SRV "Couldn't stand the weather" and "Double Trouble" are very good I just find myself leaning more for the 5.1.
    Between my SACD and DVD-audio's I have guessing haven't counted probably 150 pretty much an even split. I have doubles to compare the SACD version to the DVD-A version. One of the best I have DVD-A is The Doobies "Captain and me"
    It's really to bad Pink Floyd didn't do more of their stuff as i think it really lent itself to the medium.

my vote for most consistent is the Elton John's the instruments just seem to float from the channels and none overwhelm the others very well done
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2010
    Fongolio wrote: »
    ...Allman Brothers Eat A Peach...

Really?

I have that one too - but for some reason in my rig I can't get the sound to open up compared to DSTOM. This one sounds 'dull' in comparison.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited January 2010
    Nickel Creek - (self titled): Fantastic 2-channel and a surprisingly well done 5.1 mix (though I know purists will rail against it). The sound of the instruments absolutely sparkles on my gear.

Nickel Creek - This Side: A better two-channel sound than their debut, but the 5.1 mix is too heavy on surround usage. Still, a great album to have on SACD.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited January 2010
    I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms. Ride Across The River is amazing! A close second would be to Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    jmwest1970 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms. Ride Across The River is amazing! A close second would be to Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company.

Seconded!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2010
    jmwest1970 wrote: »
    Well, that's a standard that goes without mentioning.

If I were to choose another SACD? It would be something our brother Troy recommended to me. I had it for months but didn't listen to it until he posted about it. That SACD would be Al Di Meola, John Mc Laughlin and Paco De Lucia LIVE. The album is called "Friday Night in San Fransisco".

When a system hits that one right? They are there, in front of you, playing one HELL of a performance. Great sound, a superb performance with three of the world's greatest guitarists and a jovial spirit on stage that lets you know where it's at. :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • shack
    edited January 2010
    jmwest1970 wrote:
    I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms.
    Seconded!
    treitz3 wrote:
    Well, that's a standard that goes without mentioning.

Brothers In Arms was mentioned...in post #20. I've been told it is a great SACD. Unfortunately I don't own a SACD copy of it.

• pitdogg2
    edited January 2010
    What really surprises me is that none of Supertramp's material was done in SACD or DVD-A. Supertramp's (Crime of the Century) was one of MFSL's better sellers and their (supertramp's) mastering was very clean. Then again we can sit around all day and wonder why many many artist's material was never done in one of the high-rez medium's, I know I have.